SynTripP: 2-way 2-part Virtual Single Point Source Horn

Dear Zettairyouiki ,

Been over the 8 inch thread suggestions and both are very good .

But .

Personally far more attracted to SynnTripp than any form of Synergy / Paraline etc .

One reason being I am a driver maker myself and in-case the cab gets going I can always approach here for commercial rights and an understanding towards royalty sharing on the design .

Where-as with synergy we are only promoting someone else's design with own hard work for free , with no future prospect .

Best Regards
Suranjan

Dear Zettairyouiki ,

Been over the 8 inch thread suggestions and both are very good .

But .

Personally far more attracted to SynnTripp than any form of Synergy / Paraline etc .
Suranjan,

I will be finishing more SynTripP designs using 8" and 3.5" drivers coming up.

Need to spend less time at the computer explaining my work and more time doing work in the shop...

Art

Thank you, Mr. Kravchenko.

Tomorrow I arrive at the big six OH!, plan to vote for a female presidential candidate that is not a psycho-moron, will either butcher wood while making sawdust and too-small subs or go boating, and watch bad movies with Bonnie, the love of my life.

Then the fun will begin-
... :birthday: ...

Art

Thank you, Mr. Kravchenko.

Tomorrow I arrive at the big six OH!, plan to vote for a female presidential candidate that is not a psycho-moron, will either butcher wood while making sawdust and too-small subs or go boating, and watch bad movies with Bonnie, the love of my life.

Then the fun will begin-
... :birthday: ...

Art

Happy birthday, Art!
And big thank you!!!

Hi gentlemen. Could somebody explain. All synergy horns use small holes to inject mid range. Holes are located close to the horn's apex. If to use two way coaxial driver (similar SH-60) why to not inject middles to a circular gap between HF drive exit and apex? What is a restriction?

Holes are located close to the horn's apex. If to use two way coaxial driver (similar SH-60) why to not inject middles to a circular gap between HF drive exit and apex? What is a restriction?
Wave,

The primary "restriction", or problem is the mid-range injection ports and cone filler become a rather difficult part to build. The secondary problem is the coaxial HF driver exit is difficult to make a smooth air-tight seal.

If you solve those two problems a coaxial driver can work OK as a virtual single point source, though is limited to the output of the single coaxial woofer, six dB less than a dual woofer design.

For a horn to have pattern control down low requires a large mouth, might as well give the mouth a pair of "lungs" rather than just one.

Art

... but how do you think this design would work using a pair of 12NDL76s in lieu of the 10s?
Like others already said before, it won't fit :eek:. But this is EXACTLY the woofer I have laying around waiting for my Synergy project #3: a two-way passive x-over "Syntripp on steroids" using the 12NDL76 and Beyma CP-850/ND :cool:. I did some Hornresp simulations before I bought them of course, and results looked promising:

Synergy%203_zps3dr8ztra.png

Yes, 100 Hz is all I need ;)

Hi gentlemen. Could somebody explain. All synergy horns use small holes to inject mid range. Holes are located close to the horn's apex. If to use two way coaxial driver (similar SH-60) why to not inject middles to a circular gap between HF drive exit and apex? What is a restriction?

You might need to draw a picture, not sure I understand the question. But the small, close holes are for a couple reasons:
Compression ratio (for optimizing efficiency).
Getting the holes placed so their centers are closer than 1/4 wavelength from the apex (actually, from the HF driver's diaphragm) at the mid-to-high crossover frequency. The injected mids are unusable above that frequency because of a very deep reflection notch from the apex.

If you injected everything at some distance out from the apex, then there will be a deep hole in the response where the injected point is 1/4 wavelength from the apex. So it has to be bandpass, not highpass response there.

Getting the holes placed so their centers are closer than 1/4 wavelength from the apex (actually, from the HF driver's diaphragm) at the mid-to-high crossover frequency. The injected mids are unusable above that frequency because of a very deep reflection notch from the apex.
This is a true physical constraint but I've been wondering quite some time what if we could inject a proper wavefront via the apex driver to cancel the reflection completely. At least at lower freqs that canceling might work quite well assumed we could derive the proper cancellation signal (DSP required) and don't run the driver off limits, or am I missing something?

Sure you can -- that would be called the "tweeter", mounted/injected at the apex! The notch occurs within the tweeter's bandwidth (the tweeter doesn't have the notch in its response, since it isn't at a distance from itself).

BTW, there will be other notches at around every multiple of the notch frequency, too, so just injecting a narrow band at only the lowest notch frequency still won't do it.