SynTripP: 2-way 2-part Virtual Single Point Source Horn

Sounds like Ectopic Beats. I get that when I am tired.
Fin,

That sounds like a cool name for an EDM band!

An ectopic beat can be further classified as either PVCs or PACs, I have both, but "skippy" does it whenever it feels like it, a 24 hour Holter monitor test did not correlate the 5% off-beat with any particular activity.
Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are extra, abnormal heartbeats that begin in one of your heart's two lower pumping chambers (ventricles).
Premature atrial contractions (PACs), also known as atrial premature complexes (APC) or atrial premature beats (APB), are a common heart disrythmia characterized by premature heartbeats originating in the atria. PACs occur when a region of the atria depolarizes before the sinoatrial node and thus triggers a premature heartbeat. PACs commonly occur in healthy kids and old farts like me without heart disease.
I never would have been aware of the PVCs or PACs if a nurse had not felt one while taking my pulse during a routine check up.
Before this "heart wrenching" experience, "PAC" meant Performing Arts Center, and PVC was Poly Vinyl Chloride, as used to make plastic pipe and bottles, not to be confused with PCB, Printed Circuit Board, or Poly Chlorinated Biphenyl, the stuff that used to be in all the good last-forever oil-filled crossover capacitors, but is now banned because it was found that if you use the oil for bathing your skin, it may cause cancer in the State of California.
20 years ago, just after moving in to my Madrid, New Mexico property, the first time I met my nearest neighbor, Barefoot Kurt, told me I'd never be able to sell my property because it was contaminated from leakage from barrels of the stuff that had been stored there.

Barefoot Kurt's four packs-of-cigarettes-a-day meth head friend had used it as a substitute for hypoid axel oil, and subsequently died of cancer directly due to his exposure to that PCB oil, and he'd report me (I don't recall to whom) if I ever tried to sell.
Barefoot Kurt left the countryside about a decade ago, a decade before I sold my property to a young couple who by now are probably raising a child there. I did tell the buyer that the crawl space potentially has some PCB contamination, he will not let the child loose in the rat and PCB infested crawl space, he is smart enough to both build analog synthesizers and be a responsible parent.

Back to matters of the heart, the Holter rig also monitors heart rate, my heart rate was at it's maximum of 128 bpm (a good disco beat :^)) when I blew .04 BAC (breath alcohol content) 20 minutes after having the equivalent of around 8 White Russians in two hours. I think the caffeine in coffee liquor increases my pulse, but the speedy heart rate may be my body's reaction to processing alcohol, as the bac I read after "x" amount of drinks is generally only about half of the "average" person, actually a bit less than half, as my weight is now less than the "average" male usually cited (or thrown in jail for drunk driving) in the Dum Dum School (drunk driving class) literature. My BAC after 8.5 ounces of 80 proof booze was only half the .08 legal driving limit in most states, but I don't drive after consuming much alcohol, and don't recommend any of you folks do either!
My pulse slowed to it's minimum of 49 bpm while sleeping, an hour after the neighbors damn barking dog woke me..
For fun, I took a selfie wearing the Holter monitor, reminded me of Captain Picard's "Borg" experience.

"We will assimilate you into the SynTripP collective ;^)".

Art

Attachments

• Art's Holter "Borg".jpg
    Art's Holter "Borg".jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,148
Art, I guess DiyAudio is some therapeutically thing for you. As long you're not start to type about your personal sex life, its ok by me. But I would suggests a new topic (blog) with title: The Extraordinary life of Art 'skip a beat or two' Welter"

:D
Thanks, I'll consider that title, though it sounds a bit pompous, even for me ;).

Although I will include a few funny sex bits involving a Minneapolis sound engineer (not me) and one of the cast of the Muppets Broadway production in costume, the details of my personal sex life won't be flogged out in print.

I already have the book started, and have outlines written for all but chapter sixteen, though that one has already mostly been written in the past few posts:D .

Those that want to crowd fund my effort are welcome to :xfingers:.

The book will be full of my sickly humor, I promise it won't be as morose as my Introduction below:

Trouble in Paradigms, or
the Past and Present Future

Chapter One- Keep on Churning
Chapter Two- The Challenge of Growth
Chapter Three- The Growth of Discontent
Chapter Four- Motives and Motifs
Chapter Five- Abstracted Life
Chapter Six- A New Dream
Chapter Seven- Stressing The Fabric
Chapter Eight- My Fabric Wears Out
Chapter Nine- “Head ‘Em Up, Move ‘Em Out”
Chapter Ten - Trouble in Paradigms
Chapter Eleven- Whoops, I Gave Up The Day Job
Chapter Twelve- Streamline Existence
Chapter Thirteen- Olden New
Chapter Fourteen- Deja Vu In The Best Of Times
Chapter Fifteen- Churning Once Again!
Chapter Sixteen- "Skippy"

This book was started in the winter of 1993. The first paragraph of the first chapter was as far as I got then, but the feelings that led to the start had been permeating my existence since August of 1992.

It was exceedingly difficult to get started on anything after the dreams had faded.
The dreams that were to become my goals dissipated like fog in the rays of summer sun. The echoes of those dreams still remain, taunting me to chase illusion. Impossible dreams, in hindsight, are something, but their absence in this reality is a void which goes on endlessly.

Dreams are made of stuff not bound with time. My fading memory is the connection to the dreams, but I know that it is not to be trusted. Too many random insertions of “facts” when I examine them closely turn out to be fantasies. As I write down those thoughts, I am at least assured that what is committed to paper will not change, until I "edit for clarity".

I have changed many times. There are the usual changes we all go through- childhood, adolescence, puberty, the continuum to “ adulthood “- but those are not changes anyone needs to read about. I write to tell of the times that I lost myself- and what caused me to lose my humanity, and then gain it back from others willing to give.

I write because the process helps recapture what I spilled and wasted on the way to where I arrived. The words tell the thoughts going through my mind at times when I was so separated from humanity that I thought togetherness didn’t matter.

I hope that writing may help me get my life in order before the money runs out.
I also hope that it may help a reader recognize what is happening to them before they end up hurting themselves and the people that care about them.

If accomplish that, my experience will have counted for more than the pain it caused.

So ends the introduction :bomb:

Cheers,
Art

Last edited:
Hi Art,
Made the throat using 6mm ali and 6mm ply laminated together. Cut into rough circle with a jigsaw then tidyed up on the drill press. Core drilled the centre hole to match the compression driver, and flared it out to the rectangular throat dimension.
Jsk,

Other than a bit of ambiguity as to "ali" which is probably aluminum and "ply" which could be any type of plywood, sounds like you "followed the blueprints" ;^).

I prefer 6061-T6 aluminum alloy and 11 ply 5/8 inch or 13 ply 3/4 inch thick plywood cut to dimension for "mission critical" parts such as horn throats, or rigging parts.

If you don't mind sharing, what year were you born, and what is your main monetary income work?

Thanks for sharing,

Cheers,

Art

Last edited:
That looks very nice JSK. Is this bases on the cads from JennyGirl?

FYI JennyGirl and I mucked aroud with the cad model and she got her 3D printed volume plugs up to about 260cc's.

Jenny used a CD that was a big higher rolloff spec'd but got the mids to crossover a tad higher due to the larger volume plugs. Plus it was super easy for her to print them out.

Thanks for the info. I am nearing completion of my pair of syntrips. Only changes made were box out handles and a fixed pole mount, as I have the pole angle adaptors already.
My existing comp driver was a 2" diameter throat so some slight adjustment on the adaptor. All working out well though. I will also be fitting a butyl rubber rain guard sleeve on back panel to protect the neutric speaker connections.
Currently applying paint, starting the flares /grille frame. Pics to follow later.

Pics of build so far

Beautiful work!

When it comes to tuning I can talk you through what I did. Took me a few goes to get that smooth 'cohesion' right, when the mids and highs couple together in 'synergy'.

Initially i copied arts Driverack settings to my driverack and they DID couple together nicely. But when I moved to the soundweb dsp I had to redo all the eq and phase settings. They looked much different.

IMO the soundweb dsp sounds much cleaner and comprehensible than the driverack.

What DSP do you plan to use?

Thanks
I have a dbmark 48 dsp, but also lucky enough to have access to powersoft amps so will use the built on dsps in the k2s.
Just marking out the secondary horns wow they are big.
How do you find the 2/3 scale ones you built?
Will be using these above our six tham 15s, that we normally cross at 110hz on 24butterworth lpass.
Would welcome any additional processing data to get me dialed in. I have REW software and berry ecm8000 ref mic.
Will be a couple more weeks before i can make any noise with them.
Really enjoying this build, many thanks go to Art for the hard work in prototyping and sharing the SynTripP plans.

Thanks
I have a dbmark 48 dsp, but also lucky enough to have access to powersoft amps so will use the built on dsps in the k2s.
Just marking out the secondary horns wow they are big.
How do you find the 2/3 scale ones you built?
Will be using these above our six tham 15s, that we normally cross at 110hz on 24butterworth lpass.
Would welcome any additional processing data to get me dialed in. I have REW software and berry ecm8000 ref mic.
Will be a couple more weeks before i can make any noise with them.
Really enjoying this build, many thanks go to Art for the hard work in prototyping and sharing the SynTripP plans.

We have not technically measured the differences with the secondary horns. I actually built them for aesthetics. I LOVE the look of Arts.

Subjectively they feel as though they have very even continuity across their listening area.

They did sound a bit hard to hear in the mids until I got the phasing and crossover right. Took a few goes.

My method was to take them outdoors and point them up at the sky on a ladder with the mic on a boom (technical word for stick screwed to the fence nearby) then EQ flat (3db ripple, 1/6 smoothing) with as little eq as possible, then set the phase between the mids and highs refefencing 800hz. (half way between the mid and high rolloffs)

Once i did that the boxes disappeared and things became very clear.

EXTRA NOTES POST FLATTENING THE RESPONSE:

I additionally apply a 1.5db per octave LPF starting at 2k. It helps with ear fatigue at high volume. And to my ears it makes the celestian CD sound a bit smoother.

I also noted a natural 6db hump at `80hz that I decided to leave in as it fattens the syntripps out a little bit.

Sounds epic overall.