Symasym 5.3 "AAK model" builder's thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi George,

WIMA 2.2uF/50V at Mouser part# 505-mks22.2/50/10 are in stock and should work fine. I doubt you'll be able to hear a difference between a 3db of 3.0Hz vs. 1.5Hz. You can use them in the meantime while you wait for a 4.7uF to become available, or just leave them in.

For the 0.1uF PS caps 63V or higher is fine.

Regards,

Al

Thanks, Ryssen, Al and Cromodora.

I went ahead and ordered some of the 4.7uF WIMAs from Europe (I don't have room for any of the the exotic film and foils). That means in a week or so I'll have some left over, as well as some extra .1/250/5 WIMAs, if anybody needs them.

George

Re: About that BD139 and flying leads...

cromodora said:

Al,
Is this non-negotiable?
How about a teeny heatsink.

552574417_31afdeea3b.jpg

That would going in the wrong direction. You want it to track the temperature of the outputs. If you can't do that, you want it to heat up faster than the outputs. So, if anything, I'd think you'd want to insulate it.

Sheldon

Hi, Ryssen.

My transformer has two 18 volt secondaries that actually each deliver 20 volts AC. Connected with a center tap, that's 40 volts AC. Rectified, I end up with 27 volts DC per rail, or 54 volts DC. I was under the impression that's what Al's circuit is designed for. Does it actually call for 50 volts DC per rail?

George

Re: Hi, Ryssen.

Colescuttle said:
My transformer has two 18 volt secondaries that actually each deliver 20 volts AC. Connected with a center tap, that's 40 volts AC. Rectified, I end up with 27 volts DC per rail, or 54 volts DC. I was under the impression that's what Al's circuit is designed for. Does it actually call for 50 volts DC per rail?

George

Yours should deliver +/- 27 Volts DC. My understanding is that the AAK version is +/- 50 VDC. I cannot comment on how the SymASym will do at 27 V rails. Like Ryssen, I'm plan to run 30V transformers to give me around +/- 40 V DC.

Ryan

Hi George,

It wouldn't sell your Plitron without trying it first, it just might work. Give it a shot and see what happens, it wont hurt anything, and it would be good to know. If it does not work I'd recommend at least 2x25VAC, and no more than 2x35VAC to keep things on the safe side. If you decide on 2x35VAC make sure your using the parts listed in my BOM specifically Q1, and Q2. And C25 - C28 need to be rated at least 63V just like the diagram in post #94.

Regards,

Al

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi AAK,
It will work fine at those voltages. Just a different bias possibly and lower power. I tested the 5.3's at 25 V and they worked well, later to 35 V.

I expect to buy your boards next run. It should be interesting to see what differences there are between the two.

-Chris ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.