Speaker suggestions - emphasize sound quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jjansniew good question regarding the g-tower.

My wife and I differ on what is considered working art, I like the look of the voigt pipes and I would happily have them in my home.

Scott Joplin, many more options, thank you. The bookshelves are beautiful especially the black and gray.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Would you get a "G-tower" by inverting an existing Met design, putting the driver up top (versus, say, a Zd of 1/2 the line-length) and moving the mass-load port from the S1 end to the front-firing position shown?

1st, the Zd in any well designed quarter wave pipe is important to suppress some unwanted pipe harmonics.

A voigt tapers the wrong way to make into a g-tower. It is an unfolded tapered TL. terminus smaller than line start.

Here an example if a design Paul K did:

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• PKitt-Morel-UW-1058-TL.png
    PKitt-Morel-UW-1058-TL.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 730
Thanks Dave, it would be interesting mounting them without interfering with the port/slot at the bottom. Likely metal work. Does it provide useable bass in large rooms. Useable bass means a low note on a bass guitar, or realistically close.

Given info on the above (I’ll dig in as well).

I am between the FH XL, and the super Pensil; however, others are welcome. Am I alone, or are the, kit, options limited? I don’t want to jump into something only to learn about a whole new series of diy builds.
What is out; over 120cm tall, audio art (darn!), front firing horns.

Thank you Dave. I agree that the height limit is highly restrictive. I may steal an open bedroom for a listening room, which I will control.

Please do not take my comment regarding “limited options”, negatively, there are many many options. Most of them were self excluded.

Barring any new options I will run with the super pensil, and buy the FH XL plans.

Hello all,
I may have goofed, there are many Pensil plans and I selected the one with a 1054 height, only to find another SuperPensil with an external height of 940 (this is the one KJFaudio sells)? All but the drivers dimensions are different. Both use the 12p.

I gather the 940 version is the correct plan vs the 1054. Only facts are KJFaudio uses the 940 plan. I should have asked this question once it surfaced, and before I started cutting wood.

The fix isn’t trivial, however, it is doable in a few hours. Probably with better results the second time around.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hello all,
I may have goofed, there are many Pensil plans and I selected the one with a 1054 height, only to find another SuperPensil with an external height of 940 (this is the one KJFaudio sells)? All but the drivers dimensions are different. Both use the 12p.

Internal height is 902mm. Date is Oct 2012.

Most Pensils are that height (with 3/4” material) The old SuperPensil12 for the metal cone driver is 1054.

Scott may well have some suggestions for making the old box work with the new driver.

dave

Back in business. Everything cut to size. Now it’s time for the dreaded brace; before I begin, I often hear that the bracing is insufficient (usually material), and/or construction is incorrect.
The removed area is an easy math exercise, my question is, how large a circle is considered reasonable for structural and sonic integrity.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Have a look at some of the holey brace visualizations in my free plansets.

I like round holes, one needs to leave sufficent meat around the voids to be structurallt strong. Ensure that the brace between the magnet and the back panel is solid so that one gets maximm energy transfer from the front of the box to the back, more than doubling the amount of panel the drivers reactive force is being directly loaded into.

In the Pensils that are deeper than wide, additional side-to-side bracing is helpful. I do not put braces parallel to the baffle in the proximity of the back of the driver.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.