Speaker suggestions - emphasize sound quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Rebates become more important as frequency increases. So very important for a tweeter, less for a woofer (unless it is causing issues with a driver placed next to it). Some drivers have baskets where rebates become mostly cosmetic particualrily in a FR where the highest frequencies are typically starting to narrow in dispersion pattern so that HF does not actually impinge the baffle.

So an ALpair 7.3 i would rebate, for an Alpair 7ms it becomes mostly cosmetic.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It is a fantastic solution. Planet 10 has done and A12pw MTM ML-TL (passive if you use an A7.3 midTweteer, many other choices if you biamp), An A12pw Mar-Ken with a range of midTweeters (beam), and Scott & i just did an A12pw/A5.2 WAW but expanded it to include a large range of midTweeters with suggested passive XOs but can also be bi-amped. A12pw in a compact ML-TL.

Nanotyrranus-tPage.png

All of the above use aperidoic midTLs for teh midTweeter.

There is huge room for development of other designs using the A12pw on the bottom. It is very unappreciated at this point.

dave

Okay, Interesting; however I already have the 12p’s vs pw’s if that is an issue.
I was pondering action on the other side of the spectrum, subs. I’m chatting with acoustic elegance on using 2x15 dipole in u-enclosures.
My current thinking is to let the FR drivers do their thing, add where they lack. Am I looking in the wrong direction? The 12p appears to cover 20k relatively well, is the above better suited to the pw?

I use a 10” scanspeak woofer with my 10.3 in a sealed box and that works very well for that extra low. I believe Dave is using CSS woofers for one of his sets.

But with my MLTL with the CHN110 it’s not needed. That one hits the low 30’s easely on it’s own. The 12p should be able to get that low also i think in a good MLTL

Construction is completed, now it’s off to finishing. I don’t know how to post pictures yet, but I will learn.

Question; is there such a thing as too much power? The driver is rated to 30 watts max, and the amp is 250 watts rms. The driver doth protest too much, me thinks. I don’t play loudly, but I’m not sure if that’s relevant.

That emotiva is basicly a class AB amp with a SMPS that is more than aquedate to to the job, so it should not be a problem. These Mark Audio drivers mostly don't like chipamps (class D and digital) and/or weak power supplies. Just don't push it to loud (but you will hear the speaker strugling way before it breaks).

snip:
...These Mark Audio drivers mostly don't like chip amps (class D and digital) and/or weak power supplies. Just don't push it to loud (but you will hear the speaker struggling way before it breaks).

waxx - I've run all sorts of Mark Audio drivers for quite a few years now on amps ranging from DHT / to ClassT (Tripath chip Kingrex), numerous class D (Topping, Sure, Hypex, ICEPower, Marantz M CR611, and several Chinese models I can't currently recall), as well as a couple of class AB HT receivers ( Denon, Onkyo), and lastly four different models of Neurochrome LM3886 chips.

While I've expressed elsewhere my current personal favorite ( Modulus686), and certainly some combinations play nicer together than others, I'd opine that the comment highlighted above is a bit of a generalization.

I speak from my experience and what i hear from others. I also sometimes use an SMSL SA36 (TPA3118D2) with my mark audio drivers and it does the job, but not as good as the other amps i have. But i did try it with an TPA3116 board, a Sure amp, a Technics SE-R1 (digital amp) and a Nad M22 (NCore class D) and those sounded very bad. And certainly the last 2 work very good with other (multiway) speakers.

A friend who use Mark Audio 11MS drivers tried his Ghentaudio icepower based amps and he did not like it neighter and moved to an old marantz PM410 (AB class) wich sounded much better he said. The Icepower works very will with the Monitor Audio speakers he also has.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.