Speaker suggestions - emphasize sound quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Room isn't very big, 1960's L-shaped living room/dining room. Main part is ~18 x 13', with the L part being 10 x 12 approx. Speakers are 13" out from the front wall, which is mostly windows. They are sitting on little 4" stands that Chrisb built for me.

Give them an easy 100 hours before starting to turn up the volume.

jeff

Jeff, FYI; my room is 20 x 19 x 12/20 (ceiling is sloped), with an open floor plan. The speakers are on the long wall and sitting position is 13ft away. I usually have to chase bass, but I will soon find out once they warm up.

I found the enemy and it is me.

Okay, I saw a 2-3 mm gap at the bottom of one of the drivers, the “good” sounding unit, so I repaired it by reoriented it in the opening. The sound deteriorated to unlistenable low levels to avoid audible distortion. So back to square one. At least I know, now.

Sorry for the “blow by blow” commentary, I hope you find this reassuring.

First, it took a few hours to warm up, but warm up it did. The drivers are both very similar in the warm up process, and the music is not fatiguing at all. The speakers make break-in fun-ish. A little congested but that is slowly improving. Very pleased.

The stuffing is everything. I had 600gm of wool battening per speaker, only to find people are using 50% to 75% of that volume. I dropped it to 300gm and it reduced the congestion quite a bit.

I look forward to sharing the final-ish music report, and hopefully a beautiful new finish.

I, for one, love the play by play. I do the same thing with my builds. Not only can I get answers to my many questions, it serves to document my learning process which might help someone else down the road.

Stuffing IS everything! I just learned that this week as well in my Alpair MTMs.

Keep having fun and keep telling us about it!

Thank you Quattrofish, I also like to follow a build as it has the best Q&A. Plus, I don’t have a clue so I’m learning along the way.

Listening is improving as they break-in, never fatiguing. More hours before I get critical, admitting that most of the issues will be my doing. ��

Quick update;
I have ~150 hours of play time, and as expected, everything is tightening up (this is a positive improvement).
Do not underestimate the time needed for break-in of the 12p driver. I’m guesstimating another 100+ hours before everything balances out.
In the interim, the sound is really starting to shine. The bass is light but increasingly more defined. Highs roll off fairly early in my room, common issue, and the Pensils are not immune. Regardless, you never feel that you are loosing information.

Question, as I begin exploring placement options, does the SuperPensil like to be placed against the wall or in the room? Also, toe in or straight forward? Lastly, tilt up towards the listening seat? The driver is 29” from the floor, and my ears at the listening position are 36”, big jump.

They are. :) I've the smaller version of the 12.2p Pensils, they sound wonderful (giving plenty of detail). At first, I didn't believe that burn in time would be necessary, but it really is. Mostly listening to classical music, from renaissance vocal over baroque to romantic symphonies. Driven by a renovated Quad 303, but one day I'll have to try one of those chipamps or Ncore's.

A funny thing happened on my way from the mailbox, a hand written note asking if I would sell my home. Odd to say the least.
Well the end is I sold the house. Gave my Pensils to my daughter, and I am building a pair of Frugel-Horn Lite for my other daughter. Me, back to square one, with my new found building knowledge of course.

I’ll be back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.