Sonic Impact 5066 Parts List & Modifications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No i didnt drill any hole! That was covered in my very 1st semester electronics class 10 years ago...;)

i found that the board it self has terrible through hole plating so even the process of desoldering anything off the board removed any of the through hole plating that was there in the first place.

To much work and to much of beeing with my kids (can actually never be to much) to engage me in my numb T-amp. but now I have the promission to uset it for a sec... :)

OK, I understand that there could be bad connections, especially during newbie soldering maniac hours.

But what I have found out is that I have +power on the pins loaded by the trace from where the new "C10"s are located.

I do also have reasonable levels of resistanse measuring on different places all the way from input to input pins.

So what next???? It's just sitting therre with a terrible grin,,,, You failed Hehe.... :D

I removed the caps on the audio output post completely. I am using a 13.8 volt 7-10 amp powersupply.
I started out my power supply experimentation with a 12 volt 500 milliamp power supply...LOL...what a joke, I couldn't turn the volume knob past 12:00 with out clipping. I think I have found that sweet spot. Been using this 13.8 v for about three months and it never sounded sweeter.

After the 500 milliamp I used a 5 amp powersupply but it couldn't keep up with the power needs on the louder musical passages. With the 5 amp powersupply I would get clipping, but with the 7-10 amp powersupply everything is smoothed out. I surmise that this little amp is power hungry and can take the amperage inspite of everyone's claim that it has to be battery powered to hit the sweet spot.

I got the Samlex 13.8 volt 7-10 amp regulated power supply at "Frys electronics."

I run my music input through the preamp section of a Kenwood KR-v5580 first, which gives me bass and treble control.

I did listening test and there doesn't seem to be any dampning of the sonic quality, in fact the Kenwood seems to enhance the bass and increases the overall volume.

This T amp really brings out the detail in my CD collection. I can hear breathing and music page turning that wasn't there before. An incredible deal on just pennies...

I am building a system for my truck based on this amp. There are not any auto stereo systems that can even touch this thing.

Get inspired!!!!

During measuring the numb T-amp it really was showing it's real condition.

$70 worth of hobby just went up the chimney sort of.

And, Yes they are $70 in sweden + shipping. Someone to buy in US, cutting the board loose from the rest and mail it in a stuffed envelope to Sweden - for a reasonable amount of compensation of work?????

Yes, I've learnt a few things.... :D

Attachments

• rökig t-amp.jpg
    rökig t-amp.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 586
Well, I finally got all my stuff in to mod this amp and I find it has a different board layout from the ones that have been modded already. I think it is the newer version someone has already mentioned. I must confess to being rather new at this small circuitry so I have to ask, do they normally keep the numbering of the componants the same even after moving them around?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Sorry to see your smoking demise sharkythefrog! I've just notification that partsexpress.com have them back in stock if that helps.

Thought I'd just post a pic of my finished (for now) SI 5066 - I spent extra pennies on a nice box from autocostruire.com to keep the wife happy - although now she wants me to add IR remote control and put the Dac in the same enclosure...!

It's just the usual stealth mods, 6800uF across the input power with 680uF onboard (thanks to lostcause for that), 22uF across the inputs, and a set of the autocostruire inductors. (and a blue led which is far too bright :cool: )

I realise the layout isn't ideal and I should probably braid all the signal wires but I'm happy just for now.

My fears of lightweight bass are all out of the window as there is ample from my Mission M72i's. It's a real pleasure to listen to in fact, no obvious deficiencies so far, as surfer51 says I'm sure I'm getting detail I never picked up before. We are moving house soon but then I will have some more space and hope to build up an Amp6.

Attachments

• sonic.jpg
    sonic.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 532
Nice work Toolkit, looks great.

Good luck with the remote.... I You ever find one ;)

Was the case from Auto... alright. I´ve only seen them on picture so far?

Me I´m still suffering from my fire.... :bawling:

And ordering from US to Sweden is not an option (it´s like $50), but thanks anyway. Things like this has to be bought in US by someone in US, demount the board from the rest and put it into a mattressed envelope and sent to Sweden by ordinary mail.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The DAC is a DAC in the box - recommendation was via thread on here but I can't find it now. It was to revitalise my Marantz CD52 - but the jury is still out as I have also only just bought a CD63 after my CD52 died a couple of weeks back and I haven't been able to listen properly yet - all still on my desk at work!

I was looking into one of these for the volume control...Motorized IR volume control

I have modded 3 S.I's and two of them I have made into power amps by removing the pot and substituting resistors. IMO they are better if you have a pre-amp (valve in my case)

Some years ago I made a stand-alone passive pre with 2 ins and 2 outs with a motorised Alps pot. It has proved invaluable and although it means an extra piece in the chain, I use it between the valve pre and S.I or any other combination without remote capabilities.

panomaniac said:

I have one, it's nice. The Alps pot is not world class, but not bad. I think your neighbor Lostcause is wanting to get one, too. Maybe you could combine shipping?

Speak of the devil :devilr:

I did a lot of searching over the last week and even looked into making my own but finally went with the one Michael recomended above. It was the cheapest when you took everything into account...motorised pot, remote and delivery etc.
It even has selector relays....if I ever need them?

I ordered it a couple of days ago....sod it! We would have got it a lot cheaper.:mad:

This is what I have done so far.

t-amp re-box

thanks for all the help, all of the info and pics have made this much less intimidating for a beginner like myself, my only real problem was that I smoked my first pot (alps, that is) and had to buy another one. If I was going to do a lot of this stuff I would definitely get a lighted magnifying glass like I used to use when working with jewelry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.