Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

You don't need a high RPM, you just need enough pressure to cut a solid chip. If you have a dull drill that won't cut, higher RPM is not the answer. You need to press harder to get the cutting edge under the chip.

The RPM is more of an upper limit so people don't burn out drills.

On the other hand if the drill catches, you might want to dull the edge a bit. Drill makers design bits differently depending on what material will be used and generic drills can benefit from some dulling if you are working with some metals.

My machine has the maximum speed is 3500RPM, but it works fine, even with 0,1" drill. You must be patient, don't push it hard.

Sajti

Lower RPM is fine but it's actually better to push a bit (within reason). The larger chip will remove heat better. Inadequate pressure will just heat things up making the aluminum mushy and sticky for the tapping process.

Last edited:
Lower RPM is fine but it's actually better to push a bit (withing reason). The larger chip will remove heat better. Inadequate pressure will just heat things up making the aluminum mushy and sticky for the tapping process.

I never had a problem with it. This is one of my prototype heatsink, during board replacement.

Sajti

Attachments

• IMG_1468.JPG
    IMG_1468.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 685
thank for all tips like I will practice first on scrap aluminum pieces first to see what is my feeling on how the drill press goes or better said what is the sweet spot of pressure I know for sure I'm gonna break a few drill for sure

tap cutting oil check
adequate pressure check
practice first check

Attachments

• plans.JPG
    plans.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 686
thank for all tips like I will practice first on scrap aluminum pieces first to see what is my feeling on how the drill press goes or better said what is the sweet spot of pressure I know for sure I'm gonna break a few drill for sure

tap cutting oil check
adequate pressure check
practice first check

The lubricant is important, because the aluminium will fiil up the drill, and it will brake for sure. If you don't see the shavings coming out continously, just remove the drill from the hole, and add some more lubricant, before continue.

Sajti

Last edited:
M3 drilling success

hello guys good news for me doing this for the first time I was able to do the drilling also Mr. ST gave me good advice and does work really well I mark the drilling with an automatic puncher then I use a 2mm drill bit after the drill bit holes are done then I use the 2.5mm all using the special oil for this purpose the speed of my cheap drill press was set to 3200 rpm after all holes are redone to 2.5mm then I remove the belt from the drill press also the spring tension that kept the handles with pressure off and I again use tapping oil place the tap drill bit then I begin giving a few turn slowly and I was able to get good results on tapping them
I'm really surprise that I was able to do that now I can finally continue with Arc welder that PCB I used as template for the drilling

Attachments

• M3.JPG
    M3.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 188
  • testing transistor fit.JPG
    testing transistor fit.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 140
  • first standoff.JPG
    first standoff.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 535
  • first holes.JPG
    first holes.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 543
  • marking.JPG
    marking.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 560
The lubricant is important, because the aluminium will fiil up the drill, and it will brake for sure. If you don't see the shavings coming out continously, just remove the drill from the hole, and add some more lubricant, before continue.

Sajti

And if the bit isn't sharp don't attempt a deep hole before sharpening it. Watch out for pure aluminium (as opposed to free-machining Al alloys), it clogs horribly (like copper), and is very prone to friction and heating.

With deep holes you should always peck-drill (clearing the workpiece to check for debris building up in the drill flutes).

continue with drilling subject

not to promote anything but the heat sink I got them from Conrad Heatsinks the ones I have are part number MF35-151.5 and to describe when I was drilling with no problem I think is because the special oil that I use "Rapid Tap" cutting fluid
oh I mention the website because in Puerto Rico where I live is difficult to get heat sink and usually they are really expensive to get but from this website the price was about right :)

Conrad Heatsinks

Attachments

• conrad heat sink.JPG
    conrad heat sink.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 771
Last edited:
Hi,
I want to build a slewmaster wit Sanken Output Transistors SC6145/2SA2223.
What Transistors should I use as second Driver (Q107/108), the same SC6145/2SA2223?

I think you should be fine just make sure to use a heat sink for both driver "I forgot mines" and bias transistor I got my other board ready to test soon :)

Attachments

• IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    903 KB · Views: 522
SMD Transistors for Kypton-ND

Hi,
I’am thinking about making a small Kypton-ND SMD PCB.

So I was looking for SMD PNP/NPN Pairs. I found following:
1. BC846BPN -> matched, but tiny
2. HN1B01F -> large, but no Info about matching
3. BC817DPN -> large, but no Info about matching

All transistors seem to be no low noise types, like the BC850/60.
What Transistor should I prefer?
Or do you have any other suggestions?

Attachments

• DipTrace Schematic - Kypton-ND V2_mod.jpg
    DipTrace Schematic - Kypton-ND V2_mod.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 442