SIT Nemesis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Many OT Zp = 3K ~ 5K and more
SIT Némésis use an output transformer with primary 64 Ohm impedance.
I was thinking similar parameters autoformer show lower numbers distortion and more bandwidth.
Core component material influence on the sound is less critical that's great pros spec.

McIntosh produce his own autoformers

Attachments

• 36BD6E64-DAC1-44CC-92E3-418132AE1E00.JPG
    36BD6E64-DAC1-44CC-92E3-418132AE1E00.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 389
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
why you think I didn't tried autoformer on amp output?

I agree - when amp is made for having them implemented , it can be gorgeous .... same as any other well constructed one

though , I'm simply dismissing idea of Divine Intervention , just because some gadget is having autoformer on output , or just because some Tin Box is having flashy name on it

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
had opportunity ( yes , was young enough to start salivating pronto) to listen to few McIntosh and all I can remember is that I was disappointed ....... maybe because owner was enthusiastic enough to switch to pretty generic Hafler amps , for comparison

later I started making my own gadgets and was in situation to bring some of them in system with various McIntosh gear

pretty much same outcome , even if I really wanted to adore these big boxes with beautiful meters ....... :bawling:

except few models (which I know just by fame and schematics) , everything else McIntosh is Coca Cola or modern Harley Davidson - plenty of baloons and even more of marketing

my personal opinion , of course ..... but - I don't have any other

:clown:

I can agree with what you say as well, especially their SS gear. On thing positive about their SS products were they were reliable and long lived. I have heard complaints lately though about their products. Their tube gear is another matter though. Over priced but gorgeous sounding. Speaking of Harley Davidson, I was good friends with a Harley mechanic for many years. He was a member of the Harley racing team as well. I asked him one time if their reputation for breaking down was true. He said yes, he had broke down in every big city in the USA but that was the best way to meet people.

had opportunity ( yes , was young enough to start salivating pronto) to listen to few McIntosh and all I can remember is that I was disappointed ....... maybe because owner was enthusiastic enough to switch to pretty generic Hafler amps , for comparison

Are you talking about me? A long time ago, I demoed Hafler 9500 and McIntosh at the same time, and chose Hafler. McIntosh is surprisingly blurry and muddy, and I had been believing this is what people call "warmth" until I heard Aleph. I still remember the contemptuous smile of the pretentious NYC McIntosh dealer when I retuned it and told him I had chosen cheap Hafler. :(

Joined 2013
Paid Member
I love my McIntosh, I just spent the last three weeks going from the Mac, to my Hafler 9270 to my ACA's. Using a Thorens TD321 with an SME 3009 arm, Threshold FET-10Pe phono section and driving my B&W 803Ds2's. My wife and I agreed (unusual) that the Mac was the best sounding OVERALL. My main complaints with the ACA's is how much noise level there is. Wonderful, rich sound, just to much noise between songs. Not what I expected after owning a Threshold S/300 which was the first amp I ever owned that was dead quiet. I just finished my Balanced Zen preamp in hopes of reducing the noise.

I'm hesitant to disagree with Mr. Pass, however, a Harley is like a Parasound amp. Where the First Watt and Pass labs amps are MV Agusta's or Bimoto's. Race bikes that you can ride on the street, and stare at for hours on end when parked.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
I have a MAC6700 receiver, wife was tired of all the wires and separate components. The DAC sounds better than the Cambridge 851C and the phono inputs allow my Rega P6 with the Expressimo Mongoose tonearm and Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/II MC cartridge, a Thorens TD 320 MK3 with a Sumiko Blackbird cartridge hooked up to the MM input, and the Threshold FET-10Pe is connected via balanced input to the MAC. The three turntables I was allowed to keep in the living room.
I'm hoping the F5 turbo balanced mono blocks I'm just starting to build will out perform the MAC, then I'll use it as a preamp only. However, that will be at least a year before I get to test them together.

Was 2012 the year of my visits in the four audiophile specialized boutiques.

Nr 1 | Huge speaker plays connected to big "Jadis" tube mono blocks.
Jazz music with demonstrative saxophone solo....
I timidly asked about audio system, but vendor quickly says it´s cost~50K€ and that was all.

Nr 2 | Nice people inside. Tons of high- end stuff and very diverse. I subscribe me on the list for a music session.
The Boss asked me what technology or style of the system he prepare for the meeting.
After my response next week for the first time in my life I do discover unknow to me music reproduction quality.
Such marvelous voices !
Was Tannoy Westminster Royal + push pull tube amplifier + EAR Yoshino CD player.
https://www.homecinesolutions.fr/a/document-file/2016-10/3820_tIeklZNuTs8238DMCut31Q.pdf
Instant shock!
After we try next CD player made by Electrocompaniet.
Just amazing with the same speakers and amp music reproduction presentation and character was different.
Great too but without " full body " feeling.
For educative pourpose at the finish of the session another CD player was connected. Entry quality Atoll brand.
That was very funny and interesting leason for me
how much very good speakers and amp losse his charm by inadequate quality audio source ;)

Attachments

• D7913434-6106-42ED-8A33-B1A819F7E397.JPG
    D7913434-6106-42ED-8A33-B1A819F7E397.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 369
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.