Simple, no-math transformer snubber using Quasimodo test-jig

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Got the PCB today, will sent it next week....

Attachments

• IMG_2377.jpg
    IMG_2377.jpg
    735.2 KB · Views: 446
I just built up a through hole version and it worked perfectly and is so easy to use! I will be busy snubbing some diy gear in the near future. Thanks Mark!
If anybody in North America wants a V4 through hole board I have an extra one and will ship it to you no charge. First to PM me wins the prize!

Joined 2018
Paid Member
this is my result for AMGIS L01-6364, 2x115V / 2x18v / 25VA, and i am confused because Cs is 3 time Cx
CX: 0,22uF
CS: 0,68uF

RS: 11 Ohm
fosc ~ 60kHz
I have a very hard time to check and use the Math for verification, by any chance someone have an Excel were we can enter the values we found ( Cx, Cs, Fosc) with the result of RS....for Zeta=1

Joined 2011
Paid Member
this is my result for AMGIS L01-6364, 2x115V / 2x18v / 25VA, and i am confused because Cs is 3 time Cx
CX: 0,22uF
CS: 0,68uF

RS: 11 Ohm
fosc ~ 60kHz

I personally would never use a 2C+1R transformer secondary snubber whose (Cs/Cx) ratio was that low. Never!

The article I wrote for Linear Audio contained an Appendix with lots of mathematics, including a derivation and calculation of the minimum acceptable ratio (Cs/Cx). After quite a lot of algebra, the answer was: (Cs/Cx) >= 15 keeps you out of trouble when operating at critical damping, zeta=1. You may recall that 15 was the ratio suggested "as a starting point" in the Quasimodo Design Note .pdf. Increasing the (Cs/Cx) ratio is even better, if you can afford to buy even larger values of Cs capacitance.

Post #17 of the Quasimodo Results (ONLY) thread shows a 2C+1R snubber with a (Cs/Cx) ratio of one hundred forty three (!). It keeps you out of trouble over a nice wide range of zeta values.

I recommend that you discard any results obtained with (Cx=0.22uF and Cs=0.68uF). Also discard whichever messages or websites or circuit designers who suggested these values. I recommend that you choose a (Cs/Cx) ratio greater than 15, obtain new capacitors in this ratio, and run your Quasimodo tests again.

However, this is a DIY hobby and obviously you have the freedom to do whatever you like. You have the freedom to discard the recommendations in this message. You can plug in whatever capacitor values suit your fancy and nobody can stop you.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I recommend that you discard any results obtained with (Cx=0.22uF and Cs=0.68uF). Also discard whichever messages or websites or circuit designers who suggested these values. I recommend that you choose a (Cs/Cx) ratio greater than 15, obtain new capacitors in this ratio, and run your Quasimodo tests again.

However, this is a DIY hobby and obviously you have the freedom to do whatever you like. You have the freedom to discard the recommendations in this message. You can plug in whatever capacitor values suit your fancy and nobody can stop you.
Thanks Marc, i will do a new tests