Simple Killer Amp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg Erskine said:

Hi toasterguru,

Any advice on toasters. I'm having trouble getting my raisin toast to brown just right. I either burn it or its underdone. I also find the toast doesn't seem hot enough to melt the butter properly. ;)

Just to keep things on topic, I often eat raisin toast while listening to my AKSA (a "simple killer amp" IMHO).

Thanks

Hi GreG 2,

I think the raisin Toast must be Yummy's Delight to eat....
Could you please give me the Recipe of how to make a Raisin Toast , because i also have a toaster which i had never used from from past 2 years...maybe this time i put him on the work....

Dont afraid of GreG 1 , he is my friend too...

I too want to enjoy the Raisin toast and listen to my NVMOS at Hi SPL

regards,
K a n w a r :D :D ;)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Workhorse said:
Hi GreG 2,

I think the raisin Toast must be Yummy's Delight to eat....
Could you please give me the Recipe of how to make a Raisin Toast , because i also have a toaster which i had never used from from past 2 years...maybe this time i put him on the work....

Dont afraid of GreG 1 , he is my friend too...

I too want to enjoy the Raisin toast and listen to my NVMOS at Hi SPL

regards,
K a n w a r :D :D ;)

Hi K a n w a r,

I just attached a picture of some raisin toast to the above post. There's no recipe you just buy it like that. Buttering toast is the most complex cooking procedure that occurs in my kitchen, excluding microwaving peas and corn mix of course.

I just finished 2 peices of raisin toast as we speak and I'm going to eat 2 more as soon as I finish this post.

BTW: I'm Greg 1, he's Greg 2. :D

regards

This thread allready smoking.. :D

BTW, I learned once, actually, 99.99%, or so.. of all electronic components contains smoke, yes it's true, it comes out when they are stressed under certain conditions...

Cheers Michael

PS: Jacco, you answered your own question zillion "things" compensate for zillion "other things", but if everything fails we probably just get "some more" smoke.. :D

darkfenriz said:
So we all love simplicity, some must only complicate here and there to achieve the expected level of simplicity.

Funny.
Simplicity is not equivalent to minimalism, no ?

The interior of an S series Threshold amplifier still looks very pleasing to me. Few different components but big and lots of them, with zero to none additives.

I've got a pro ss restaurant toaster, has an on/off switch and a timer bell.
It eats 6 slices of toast, when the bell rings i take them out.
I've had too many overcomplicated cruise missile toasters.
If i forget(which i often do), there is lots of nice smoke.:clown:
Howcome i feel like smoking a joint all of a sudden ?

Mr Ball, regular toasters only go on and off, put in 1 slice of toast and half of the heat is wasted.
Place 2 slices in the toaster and you are energy efficient, but you are wasting a slice of toast as you only desired 1 !

darkfenriz said:

By simplicity one can understand many things: low number parts, counting IC as 1 part or not, simple electronic circuits only (CE, EF), some devices in signal path and some not and for some low number of poles and zeros in forward path.

So we all love simplicity, some must only complicate here and there to achieve the expected level of simplicity.
So in other words: If you don't know what a circuits consists of and is packaged in a black box (IC) this will make it simple and easy to understand? Very logic... :nod:

I doubt this amp could go up in flames

I have seen a TV set gone into flames because the brigde rectifier was soldered badly on the paper based PCB board.
That caused a raise in temperature at the soldering points and the fire.
So simplicity gives no garantee....
BTW, that toaster is a nice case for my Krell amplifier Mr Erskine....
Loek

Greg Erskine said:

Hi K a n w a r,

I just attached a picture of some raisin toast to the above post. There's no recipe you just buy it like that. Buttering toast is the most complex cooking procedure that occurs in my kitchen, excluding microwaving peas and corn mix of course.

I just finished 2 peices of raisin toast as we speak and I'm going to eat 2 more as soon as I finish this post.

BTW: I'm Greg 1, he's Greg 2. :D

regards

BTW: Why are you GreG 1 , He's GreG 2

amplifierguru said:
Hi guys.

Maybe our DIY Class A afficionadoes could recommend a toaster top of box output drive that works efficiently! Spare smopking the kids. :D

Cheers,
Greg

Dont worry GreG 2[GreG 1 says so] I will connect a 2ohm heater load to my NVMOS amp and Toast the Raisin Toasts on them and eat and enjoy.....

K a n w a r

Hi Michael,

Lateral FETs are great and I've used them on many occasions.

However this topology is far and away at it's best, almost to a dependency, with high transconductance MOSFETs with at least 3V Vgs. Gate signal is best kept to +/- 2V so, for 50V output into 8ohms, a gain of 25 is needed so transconductance of 3 would require maybe 4x laterals in parallel for a 150W amp - probably power overkill at 400 package watts. However, it would come into range in a BIG amp, say, 300W+ where more paralleled devices are needed for power handling/reliability.

Cheers,
Greg

Hi Greg,

I am Just Dreaming of a BUZ906 Lateral mosfet laying horizontally on the workbench and a IRFP360 Vertical mosfet Standing Vertically on the Top of Lateral Mosfet Thus Claiming Its Superiority Over laterals! just by piericing its 3 Legs over the laterals body ............

Now Tell Me How Do YOU feel.........

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

K a n w a r

Hi Greg,

nice to hear you like those laterals as well!
I guess that the low Vgs is a hindrance to your boostrapped driver circuitry as you would probably want some "playroom" here.

BTW it might interest you as I was reminded by Pass recently that those IRF IRFP9xxx tranies have a weird GM behaviour decreasing right in the midle of the audio band! :bigeyes:
Actually Pass have a paper on his homepage regarding "MOSFET testing" where this is mentioned briefly.
This is not an issue with other brands P-ch and of some "mysterious" reason just with IRF's, don't know why.

Cheers Michael :)

Hi Michael,

I'll look into that IRFPxx Gm - but haven't noticed anything untoward to date.

You may be interested - another thread wanted 1ohm drive which most standard amps, including my topology, won't do - without the addition of extra output devices. Well my topology has fused collectors to the output node... so I simply replace the fuses with 100R resistors and drive a bank of source followers as shown (2 pair shown), and it's all inside the feedback loop. The original output mosfet can now be IRF610/9610 as drivers, feeding any number of outputs and driving up to the rails. The SF output devices could be fused to the supplies.

Cheers,
Greg

Low Z drive -

Attachments

• low z drv.png
    low z drv.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,571
Hi Greg,

just a CS circuit with a D resistor an sweaping with a gen throughout the audio range will show.
In your topology it's probably a tiny issue as you also have medium-high level of FB.

I like that circuit, not too big G resistors, and easy to expand into real high power amplifier too, though Vgs of output devices will set the limit to make it a real R2R, BJT's would come much closer but have other drawbacks then. :)
Let me see, I have to go back to my "drawing board". :D

Cheers Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes a small variation in transconductance is not likely to faze my topology in the least.

As for the Low Zdrive, of course BJTs are an option for the add-on power booster and the 100R resistors could easily --> 22R or 47R . The BJT outputs will give lower losses for more output but less bandwidth which may require heavy comp across the bootstrap R's. With MOSFETs for the booster the bandwith is similar but THD drops some 10 times (in sim) due to lighter loading of the original CS stage due to it's load resistors at 100R rather than 8R (the speaker load). Noting also that 2 pair of IRFPs could handle the current at low Vds.

Cheers,
Greg

amplifierguru said:
Conventional power amplifiers commonly feature a low voltage gain input differential stage followed by a very high voltage gain stage then usually a unity gain emitter or source follower.

In fact, the topology you are refering to, consists substantially of a differential voltage to single-ended current converter, driving a current to voltage converter.

amplifierguru said:

Better sound quality from such a design centres around fiddling at the edges of this flawed topology rather than adopting a new one.

Untrue. This topology has been SHOWN to have the least number of flaws compared to more recent voltage gain blocks...

Moreover, its shortcomings are in fact relatively innocuos, and easily correctable in a discrete design.....without...
fiddling at the edges
:rolleyes:

mikeks
"
In fact, the topology you are refering to, consists substantially of a differential voltage to single-ended current converter, driving a current to voltage converter.
"

to me all looks like voltage stages, what on earth are you trying
to say, this is a forum of experts,since when are fets current
driven when there is a resistor across them

maybe i learned things differently than you
in my lab i only read my test instruments you see and i discover
the things i learn, never spoon fed from books

cheers

workhorse
"
I am Just Dreaming of a BUZ906 Lateral mosfet laying horizontally on the workbench and a IRFP360 Vertical mosfet Standing Vertically on the Top of Lateral Mosfet Thus Claiming Its Superiority Over laterals! just by piericing its 3 Legs over the laterals body ............

Now Tell Me How Do YOU feel.........

"
Yes, i see , is there anything else besides devices and overkill
of superiority you'd like to tell us because i feel abit boring
reading over and over of how good is the verticals and vNmos
over the champion the BJT with its might transconductance and
super-linear transfer curve ,ok i wait maybe you got something
good to say about the BJT

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.