simple active crossover

I have been following this thread and the results look really nice! I have used DCX2496 for my active, but I'd prefer analog active crossover because it is easier to have volume control after the source selector and before the crossover.

Can we use any of the readily available (say from Mouser) JFETs with this, at least for experimenting?

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nice work, Adason. Do you have any XO style measurements where we can see curve for woofer and tweeter overlaid with combined response?

Can’t send you PM’s btw, as your account is not accepting incoming PM’s - please send me your email.

Not sure what happened, I never selected anything, and it was working before. I need to fix this. Will get back to you, thanks.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nice work, Adason. Do you have any XO style measurements where we can see curve for woofer and tweeter overlaid with combined response?

Can’t send you PM’s btw, as your account is not accepting incoming PM’s - please send me your email.

Curve for woofer is hard to get with RightMark audio software I am using, because it requires 1kHz tone to do its stuff. Otherwise it reports missing it and stops. But I can measure it with other means, REW should do it.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
this is what I got in REW

Attachments

• active crossover final.jpg
    active crossover final.jpg
    622 KB · Views: 250
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
\I wand as simple as possible because I want utmost transparency

Then you might have to design the speakers to live within the envelope of what a PLLXO can do.

TLS.org | Passive Line-Level Crossover

No electronic haze at all. And if you are diying the high pass can be just appropriately shrinking the amp’s input cap. They are pretty cheap and easy too.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...For my 'full range' units I'm thinking along the lines of combining the driver's natural rolloff and a bandwidth limited MoFo amp (rolling off at 150-180Hz by tweaking the input cap and inductor).

I haven’t paid attention to the detail of the M2, you have a 2nd order filter at the input? With the roll-off of a sealed box that gives 4th order.

dave

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Then you might have to design the speakers to live within the envelope of what a PLLXO can do.

TLS.org | Passive Line-Level Crossover

No electronic haze at all. And if you are diying the high pass can be just appropriately shrinking the amp’s input cap. They are pretty cheap and easy too.

dave

been there, done that
problem with passive: it can not drive anything properly
and sounds flat boring
passive buffered is much better
and if you noticed, that's what I am doing here for upper path

I haven’t paid attention to the detail of the M2, you have a 2nd order filter at the input? With the roll-off of a sealed box that gives 4th order.

'cept I'm building a Pass SLOB and a MoFo, not an M2.

All I've done so far is assemble a single MoFo buffer, adjusting the input cap for a first order filter at about 180Hz. The MoFo has a smaller inductor too so possibly something approaching a second order filter overall. Not gone beyond that as I need to complete my preamp project so I have sufficient gain to be able to build a test baffle and test/measure the result.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
been there, done that
and sounds flat boring
passive buffered is much better
and if you noticed, that's what I am doing here for upper path

Yes, and depends on the input impedance of the amp. So you are married to that amp with that PLL crossover.

For me, I have gone from DSP active to passive speaker level XO’s. I like it this way so I can compare amps and don’t need to build 4 channels of every amp. I built myself a passive XO prototyping kit by getting almost every major value of inductor, film capacitor, and 10w resistors. All in a portable tote with dividers. It cost a lot less than you would think. About $200 and you have at your fingertips the ability to build 99% of any practical speaker crossover. Use Wago connectors and the transfer of schematic from Xsim to reality takes 15 minutes and you are up and running. Listen tweak measure listen tweak. Then order the final components and make a PCB. I made this crossover in a matter of hours from measurement to listening.

845670d1589958585-simple-passive-harsch-xo-using-ptt6-5-rs28f-waveguide-05-ptt6-5-rs28f-harsch-xo-prototype-v01ab-jpg

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
been there, done that
and sounds flat boring
passive buffered is much better=

The speaker has to be designed for the XO & the amps used. I have found they work well.

I have tried buffered XO as well, not as slick as yours thou.

I figured this needs a better drawing, please check for mistakes in translation.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• Adason-jFET-XO.png
    Adason-jFET-XO.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 644
Last edited: