simple active crossover

man, don't hesitate so much to use your brain

rails ripple shaving caps in all schematics are at least 100uF ...... you can have 0.1uF there too, if you like having so called bypass caps (bypass for bigger ones)
I had no idea what a rails ripple shaving cap was. In the photos I can see something that looked like five very small brown polypropylene caps. I saw one big cap that could be 100uF. Maybe all those blank caps in the schematic are connections to the same 100uF cap. See, I use brain! :coffee:

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• JFETS THE NEW FRONTIER shr.pdf
    267 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: 1 user
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
1. Correct like this? At least for 150Hz? View attachment 1082614

😂😂😂

good going man
so far you managed to be wrong at 100% efficacy

100uF/35VDC is what I would use, those are power supply smoothing capacitors, nothing to do with crossover frequency
if however you use very well stabilized power supply, you can omit those

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 140
Still processing, thank you!

Okay, I just need to buy these 100pcs of 2SK170BL from Jakarta. Matching those Jfets will be a fun task.

My plan for tonight, before ZM confused me with the dual rail conundrum, was to make an artistic impression of what this circuit would look like in real life with my amazing MS Paint skills. This might still happen.

Last edited:
When I was experimenting with CRC upper path before the second buffer, I noted weird behavior sometimes, when I touched something, n channel jfet started to be fully open and I got 14.9 volts on the output. When I placed 1M ohm resistor from gates to ground, this never happened. So similarly, I placed the 1M on the low path too.
Btw, if you see any obvious mistakes on the schematics, please let me know, I just drew it from other active crossovers I have seen around. Thanks.
I am back for more. :whistle: After reading the nice articles ZM suggested, I started to see a pattern. In the B1 article NP wrote about something called parasitic oscillation, and how a 1K resistor can prevent such bad mojo. Then I thought about your incident with 14.9V on the outputs and "sticking it to the rails". Maybe it would have been prevented if you had used a 1K resistor before the Jfets, like NP has since the dawn of time. Then even a bigger MAYBE, the 1M resistor on the Hi-pass and Lo-pass could be superfluous.
maybe add 1K to prevent parasitic oscillation.png
maybe add 1K to prevent parasitic oscillation 2.png

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well my friend , if you weren't trolling before, now you are

not just because you're not seeing why JFets could stick to rail (without better gates reference), in schematic from post #39, re-posted here

yes, gate stoppers are one way, gate shunt is the other way, but complementary buffer is and it is not same animal as same-sex-buffer

:spin:

so, after you started seeing the pattern, indulge your self and read some more .......

qwe2-jpg.937352