Shui Yuan Audio TPA3255 Modification Thread

You mean for the HanZao or the Shui Yuan ?
The Power caps of the Hanzao are 8000uf (total). To be honest I did not tweak it because the stock amp is great, I just updated the OP amps.
For the Shui Yuan, I updated the power caps and changed the OP amps. I also updated the output caps of the PSU.

yours.

Last edited:
This is the Shui Yan.

I am waiting for the OPA1692.

My question is whether 10,000uf x 2 is too much. It is temporary.

On a switching power supply ... not too much interest, the inrush current could put it in failure ... or default
On a linear power supply, possible, but the rectifier diodes must be able to accept the inrush current. To sum up, it looks like a short-circuit for the power supplies at start-up ...

Last edited:
Hi all,

I came across this, a Shui Yuan TPA 3251 :

shui yuan Audio TPA3251 2.0 Digital Amplifier Board DC24 48v Strong High Power 250W + 250W Class D o Digital Amplifier Board|Amplifier| - AliExpress

I'm not sure if this is a new product. I have an Aiyima A04 3251 and I find the sound to be more organic than either the 3e audio or Shui Yuan TPA 3255, the 3255s being more transparent though. Could this be down to the TPA 3251 chip?

If so, this Shui Yuan 3251 is worth a try for me.

Has anybody tried this and compared it to the Shui Yuan 3255?

Last edited:
OK, so I'm about to solder some OPA1656 to DIP8-adapter boards, and start getting anxious about the pin orientation. Is pin nr. 1 the one in the lower left corner in the orientation of the text, under the white stripe? Or are there any other markings? I can't find any dimples or rings to indicate pin 1.

Last edited:
Maybe this help ...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-16 at 19.19.45.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-16 at 19.19.45.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 656
I soldered some OPA1692 to DIP8 adapters yesterday. Took me a whiiiile. When I was done they wouldn't fit the DIP8 sockets on the board. I believe the square header pins I used were the problem. I might buy some round header pins and give it another try.

When looking for round header pins, I found these on Amazon. They seem more convenient, but would they work?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HTC5DKS

OK, so I'm about to solder some OPA1656 to DIP8-adapter boards, and start getting anxious about the pin orientation. Is pin nr. 1 the one in the lower left corner in the orientation of the text, under the white stripe? Or are there any other markings? I can't find any dimples or rings to indicate pin 1.

I believe white bar marks pin 1. This information seems hard to find, but multiple references indicate so. Here is somebody complaining about it on a TI forum (albeit 11 years ago):

which is pin 1 on TPA6101A2? - Audio forum - Audio - TI E2E support forums

I changed the 2 supply condos to CDE 4700uf. I temporarily put OP1612.

I have to let the condos break in and then some serious listening. Quickly the change of condos seems to have dynamics at all frequencies.

The 3255 was in a bigger case with SMPS 36V 11A, I moved the 3255 to a smaller case and added a 36V 5A SMPS. It doesn't sound like much but it's enough power with my speakers.

Attachments

• 20210427_144800.jpg
    20210427_144800.jpg
    877.5 KB · Views: 721
  • 20210427_145726.jpg
    20210427_145726.jpg
    571 KB · Views: 705
Calling All Seasoned and Knowledgeable Users Of TPA3255.

As most of you here know here there are Many models of this amplifier on Aliexpress and elsewhere. Rather than hunting through all these posts(too many) here trying to find the model I need. My requirements are:
a. I need this amplifier to power my subwoofers in push pull mode, ie 2 channels powering 2 subs for one channel. SO I need 2 amps( 4 channels total) for stereo mode.
b. so I need this amp with a high current and high power output.

Please recommend me a model or models in which I investigate further, additional mods by me is no problem. Also, recommend matching 48Vdc switching power supplies as well.

Many thanks.

I changed the 2 supply condos to CDE 4700uf. I temporarily put OP1612.

I have to let the condos break in and then some serious listening. Quickly the change of condos seems to have dynamics at all frequencies.

The 3255 was in a bigger case with SMPS 36V 11A, I moved the 3255 to a smaller case and added a 36V 5A SMPS. It doesn't sound like much but it's enough power with my speakers.

I wonder why did you use those big 4700UF caps ?
I am using 4700uf Nichicon Audio grade caps as well, just need to make sure you get the right diameter (see my review : max is 20mm)

Last edited:
Yes Daniboun,

I know about Nichicon Audio with a maximum of 20mm, but it was a friend who had these condos in stock.

The appearance doesn't matter to me anyway.

I'll come back to you with my impressions of the sound. I am waiting for the arrival of my OPA1692, but for now the OPA1612 impresses me with this 3255, I am rediscovering the OPA1612.

I soldered some OPA1692 to DIP8 adapters yesterday. Took me a whiiiile. When I was done they wouldn't fit the DIP8 sockets on the board. I believe the square header pins I used were the problem. I might buy some round header pins and give it another try.

When looking for round header pins, I found these on Amazon. They seem more convenient, but would they work?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HTC5DKS

You are right that the square pins are too large for the sockets and will very easily damage them so normal chips will be too loose.

The adapters you found on Amazon are almost certainly too big to fit in the space provided for the Op Amps on most boards.

The small adapter cards are really the only solution but must be used with round pins -These are .5mm in diameter.