Shui Yuan Audio TPA3255 Modification Thread

Last edited:
Help - Which Input Connectors On ShuiYuan TPA3255 Amplifier Board

I've purchased the ShuiYuan TPA3255 board and now need to find some input connectors to match the 3 pin male connector on the board.
Does Mouser stock these ... and if so, can you please point me to the item id / page(s). Do I buy the connector and housing separately ?

I saw mention of these being JST XH connectors, but I can't find those on Mouser at all (possibly poor search on my part)

Secondly I'd like to buy some stand-offs for case mounting ... any advice / Mouser references ?

Grateful for any advice :confused:

Hi there,

My unit actually came with the connector and wire. I just needed to solder it to the input terminals.

Looks like Shui Yuan may have missed that out? You could ask them to send it to you.

I use mine with a 32v power brick, and for the time being its installed in this case I got from Aliexpress :

Size (mm) : W430 H90 L362 BZ1105 all aluminum digital amplifier case full version all aluminum case|Amplifier| - AliExpress

I might add a volume control pot later on if I don't decide to use a valve preamp with this.

Attachments

• 33ac10c9-c8ad-431d-a0fd-672a83882151.jpg
    33ac10c9-c8ad-431d-a0fd-672a83882151.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 403
Hi there,

My unit actually came with the connector and wire. I just needed to solder it to the input terminals.

and for the time being its installed in this case I got from Aliexpress

Thanks for the info. Nice looking case setup
My amp boards haven't arrived yet but am not expecting any cables since none were mentioned in sales documentation (such as it is on ShuiYuan Audio Store)

I'm hoping to find an old amplifier case and fit everything into that, they seem to go for about $50 here ... and I have a couple of amplifier boards plus a power supply to fit in so need lots of space. Suitable cases from Ali would cost about $100 just to ship !

My amp boards haven't arrived yet but am not expecting any cables since none were mentioned in sales documentation (such as it is on ShuiYuan Audio Store)

Yeah, they don't mention it but it appears that they supply it nonetheless, judging from one pic I've seen in the review section of their Ali ad as well as another one here in this thread (I think).. Its the same grey coloured cable as mine. FWIW, I wasnt expecting one either so it was a pleasant surprise when I got it. Guess you'll have to wait and see.. :D

Last edited:
Hi, According to info from your link, the knob might be different than the one from the pic ("30 mm aluminum knob (note, not the picture of the aluminum knob"). How is the one that got delivered?

Come to think of it, you could be right, because I remember the actual knob being smaller than the one in the Ali ad. I put it somewhere since I'm using the Shui Yuan connected to a separate preamp but may decide to get a volume pot later. I'll post a pic of it once I locate it.

Cases not being the same as description !!

I am having real problems with some Chinese Suppliers not shipping what is in the description or in the Photos.

I just bought this case from the "Weiliang audio Official Store". Picture of the original is on my screen behind what was received.

Different Front Panel. (Engraved with BRZHiFi logo - Not wanted).
Different Back Panel (Extra hole for Bluetooth aerial - Not wanted).
Different Knob - I really wanted the nice large heavy turned knob - Not the small crappy one !!

When I complained it was not the same as the description they offered to send me replacements. Good start. So I offered for then to send me the parts with an order for another case so they could save on the postage.

Clearly this was lost in translation as I then got a reply that I should not purchase from them again and I am now blacklisted from their site !! They have refunded me for the case !!

Shame as I like their products and would happily have continued to purchase from them.

Attachments

• 22000564-EF2D-4F94-91CD-DADAC277A926.jpg
    22000564-EF2D-4F94-91CD-DADAC277A926.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 321
Did anyone try to see if it's possible to hack the input to use balanced sources? If I look at the 3e and ShuiYuan boards, the opamps used seem identical and the 3e uses a jumper to choose between balanced and unbalanced. And looking at the TI reference board, also seems to support both using a dual opamp like the NE5532 and a jumper https://www.ti.com/lit/df/slar129a/slar129a.pdf?ts=1618188445308

I know it doesn't support balanced as it comes from the factory, but I was wondering if by soldering/cutting traces it might be possible

Balanced input with the Shui Yuan board

If you want to use the balanced capability of the TPA3255 with this board then the simplest method would be to bypass the Op Amp (remove it from its socket) and feed the balanced signals directly to the output pins of the Op Amp socket so they are fed to the TPA3255.

The jumper pins on other boards reconfigure the two Op Amps contained in each chip so they either just buffer the balanced signal or generate the out of phase balanced signal from the SE input required by the TPA3255.

Some people might want to do this to just remove the Op Amp buffer from the input to test whether this improves the sound quality but as most will testify it is the whole chain of components that affect sound quality and some will benefit from having the buffer present.

Probably better just to use a board with a Balanced input. The Shui Yuan board is built down to a cost and part of this is to remove unnecessary complexity such as extra input connectors required for Balanced inputs !!

I have 3 of these ShuiYuan TPA3255 boards on the way ... and I'm seeking advice on mounting, connection & control options ... because I'm a n00b

1. Volume Control - A potentiometer. Is it ok to just buy "any" of the Alps models (there are so many on Mouser I can't distinguish them). Someone recommended 20k Ohms, is that best and voltage up to 5V ? Recommendations ?
  2. Volume Control - A Stepped Attenuator? I only now of this one Claude referred to in the TPA3251 Mod Thread DACT-Type-SMD-Stepped-Attenuator. Are there any Mouser alternates ?
  3. Volume Control - "Gang Control" - can I use a single Pot or Attenuator to control multiple amp boards simulatenously or would it be better (for a n00b) to a separate unit for each board ? Note that my preferred solution is digital control applied either during Computer/DSP operations or in the DAC, but it would be good to have an option just in case
  4. Anti-Pop. There are suggestions for a 48uF capacitor across the mute connection ... any sort of capacitor ... again up to 5V ? Once again drowing in choices on Mouser
  5. Can I wire the multiple amp boards directly to a single Meanwell LRS or SE 36V power supply, or do I need to add some extra circuitry ?
  6. Mounting hardware - presumably standoffs. Anyone have suitable Mouser links ... or another supplier. Is 10mm adequate clearance
  7. Power supply. I'm thinking Meanwell 36V, LRS-350 or SE600 supplying 3 boards for 2 3 way active speakers. Initially I was thinking the 350 but then started to wonder what the downside of the 600 is - more amps with similar ripple etc. Going round on this a bit. 350W seems like a lot for stereo but then its likely to be limited by amps rather than volts

If I've missed or misunderstood anything, please feel free to offer advice.

Comment - current plan is to install these amplifier boards along with a Meanwell LRS-350-36 or SE-600-36 in an old Yamaha HT Receiver case, hopefully reusing the RCA connectors, speaker bindings, power cord and On/Off Switch.

Thanks

Hi redger!!

if you are interested I have inserted this motorized volume

Scheda potenziometro remoto AUDIO WEILIANG per amplificatore di potenza o preamplificatore|remote control volume|breeze audioremote volume control board - AliExpress

it works very well, I think is film 50K potentiometer, very quiet, convenient for having the volume with remote control, it also has a + 5V output controlled by the button on the remote control to control a possible relay for accessory functions ( type of input selection, etc ...)

a>

Last edited:
OK redger, you're welcome...if you always do a search on Ali you will see that there are hundreds of sellers with this product ... before buying it I had to choose among many ... even if the shipping is expensive it is worth it, it works really well, for the power supply I put two voltage regulators in cascade, an LM7824 + LM7812 to use the 32V of the TPA3255 power supply

[...]
Probably better just to use a board with a Balanced input. The Shui Yuan board is built down to a cost and part of this is to remove unnecessary complexity such as extra input connectors required for Balanced inputs !!
Thanks for the additional info. And, yes, ideally a 3e board would be better, but at the moment 3e is sold out of pretty much everything.

I have 3 of these ShuiYuan TPA3255 boards on the way ... and I'm seeking advice on mounting, connection & control options ... because I'm a n00b

1. Volume Control - A potentiometer. Is it ok to just buy "any" of the Alps models (there are so many on Mouser I can't distinguish them). Someone recommended 20k Ohms, is that best and voltage up to 5V ? Recommendations ?
  2. Volume Control - A Stepped Attenuator? I only now of this one Claude referred to in the TPA3251 Mod Thread DACT-Type-SMD-Stepped-Attenuator. Are there any Mouser alternates ?
  3. Volume Control - "Gang Control" - can I use a single Pot or Attenuator to control multiple amp boards simulatenously or would it be better (for a n00b) to a separate unit for each board ? Note that my preferred solution is digital control applied either during Computer/DSP operations or in the DAC, but it would be good to have an option just in case
  4. Anti-Pop. There are suggestions for a 48uF capacitor across the mute connection ... any sort of capacitor ... again up to 5V ? Once again drowing in choices on Mouser
  5. Can I wire the multiple amp boards directly to a single Meanwell LRS or SE 36V power supply, or do I need to add some extra circuitry ?
  6. Mounting hardware - presumably standoffs. Anyone have suitable Mouser links ... or another supplier. Is 10mm adequate clearance
  7. Power supply. I'm thinking Meanwell 36V, LRS-350 or SE600 supplying 3 boards for 2 3 way active speakers. Initially I was thinking the 350 but then started to wonder what the downside of the 600 is - more amps with similar ripple etc. Going round on this a bit. 350W seems like a lot for stereo but then its likely to be limited by amps rather than volts

If I've missed or misunderstood anything, please feel free to offer advice.

Comment - current plan is to install these amplifier boards along with a Meanwell LRS-350-36 or SE-600-36 in an old Yamaha HT Receiver case, hopefully reusing the RCA connectors, speaker bindings, power cord and On/Off Switch.

Thanks

I did mine in a really compact case.
You don't need any AntiPop mod, the module has this function enabled.
The Shui Yuan module is particulary interesting if you intend to use it with a compact PSU. If you don't care about te size, the HanZao is a best choice.

here some pictures of it can help :