Schade Common Gate (SCG) Preamp

I am building second SCG pre and about to order these power transformers. They worked great for me first time. If anyone is interested.
https://www.tubesandmore.com/search/node/P-TN-68X
That's a great find. Dual secondaries.
It's actually intended to be used as a dual primary 115 or 230 volts to a single 115 volt secondary. I have used them "backwards" for years and they do work fine. Both Mouser and Digikey have them in stock and they are about $1 cheaper than AES.

Reactions: 1 users
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I used them extensively in my tube pre investigation. Remember srpp kit with 6n1, 6n11, 6n2, 6dj8, 6n6? I tested apr. 6 versions and finished four into final boxes. Measured and listened to all, selected best sounding for main system.
This little trafo was used in all of those tube pre, since I used it as 125 to 230 ac. That's what kit required. And just like George says.
In case of SCG, i use it 115 to 115 just as isolation. One per channel. They are cheap.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have seen folks leave their tube preamps and amps running all the time. Even their vintage turntables, spinning all the time. But those are professionally made products. I don’t leave any of my gear on when I’m not listening. Often, I will turn it on in advance of listening simply because most class A amps take about one hour to warm up and get to the operating point.

SCG consumption is low compared to power amps but leaving it on means running the electricity bill. Here in Davis, we are paying 37 c/kWh off-peak. Probably one of the highest rates in the country.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I've never been one to leave my gear on when not in use. Power dips and interruptions from the power company are not uncommon around here, I wouldn't want to have my gear on during these moments unattended. I hope the tube gear that's left on uses cheap tubes, Hahaha!
We are right behind you with the high cost of electricity Rahul🤑

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Second SCG is born. All went well, biased as expected. I used whatever small heatsinks i found. Since they are individual, i used no mica pads to insulate.
One has to refrain from the temptation to touch the heatsinks to check for temperature. Unless one wants tingling feeling :)
My previous solution with one big heatsink was more labor intensive, with lots of mica pads and wires, but lot more safe.
Happy new year everyone!

Attachments

• 20221231_103321.jpg
    20221231_103321.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 132
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Happy new year and may the DIY force be with you :cheers:

adason, that's quick... two builds in fast succession :up:

Yes, you do get the tingles if you touch the heatsink when the FET is not isolated. Especially the CCS and regulator FETs operate at quite high voltages. Be careful.

Reactions: 1 user