Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You typically want no less than 5V DCinput-DCoutput difference on a UBiB. DCinput is the rectified DC on it. More drop can allow less parasitic capacitance for its M1 input CCS MOSFET. But with each extra dropping Volt you pay back quickly in escalating dissipation. Especially in CCSed shunt regs. Many transformers produce more than nominal secondary voltage output due to higher than nominal mains and a small portion of their rated current drawn.

Both UBiB and DCSTB can work with less than 5V difference across them but I believe they tend to sound best with no less than so.

50VA each is enough and you can use bigger. Higher than necessary AC voltage pushes the heat dissipation on Ubib's M1. Asking for bigger sinks and more space or ventilation. Without strong side benefits. You can use 18VAC transformers but not lower.

I better buy the 20v 60VA r-cores then, there will be 7 ubibs in 1 case. :flame:
Just a shame i cant use the selectronic 120va ones, i will need to find another project for those.:D

regards,
John

Joined 2013
Paid Member
Hello Salas -
I bought a pair of DCG3 preamp kits from Tea-Bag to make a Balanced version. Tea-Bag was kind enough to match the 2 kits for me, I have a pair of R core transformers and just finished the relay control for the XLR inputs. The relay control uses two double relays per channel, so that both phases of each channel are switched.

I have three main inputs, two have Balanced XLR outputs and one, my FSP has single ended RCA's.
What would be the best way to wire the FSP to a Balanced DCG3 preamp? I have RCA to XLR adapters, yet I would like to have a pair of RCA's hardwired to the preamp inputs.

This is how I wired mine. It works like a charm for any kind of source/load. For SE connections circuit gnd needs to be engaged. Same thing for balanced input. However for balanced output, it works better when pin1 is attached to the chassis. And my built has completely floating gnd i.e. those SLBs are omitted. Not sure how it works but it does. My amp is tuby with true differential input for that matter...

Attachments

• Wiring.jpg
    Wiring.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 302
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Perfect. Thank you. One last question, I'm using a separate chassis for the power supply and will use an umbilical to the preamp. Should I use the metal sheath around the wires with power supply side grounded and the preamp side open like the FSP and UFSP?

Yes that's good anti EMI practice, i.e. to one way drain the umbilical cable's shield.

This is how I wired mine. It works like a charm for any kind of source/load. For SE connections circuit gnd needs to be engaged. Same thing for balanced input. However for balanced output, it works better when pin1 is attached to the chassis. And my built has completely floating gnd i.e. those SLBs are omitted. Not sure how it works but it does. My amp is tuby with true differential input for that matter...

Do you mean the SLB's shown in your pic are omitted?
I have found that without SLB's I always see a large 60hz spike when I do my FFT; almost completely gone with it installed.
Thanks. nash

Do you mean the SLB's shown in your pic are omitted?
I have found that without SLB's I always see a large 60hz spike when I do my FFT; almost completely gone with it installed.
Thanks. nash
Yes no SLB's at all. Circuit gnd floating for DCG3 and DAC, and since XLR pin1 of DCG3/power amps is attached to their chassis that leaves only the amps' gnd earthed. Seems to work very nice. An FFT of DCG3 alone is posted in post #5370.