Rohde Schwarz R&S UPL Audio Analyzer Renovation

Any attempt / thought to run the PC - Digital side on a separate PSU?

Not on my side but I had in mind 2 possible exploration here.
Use a more recent low power PC / CPU motherboard that consume less than the old PC technology used in the UPL that needs larger current to operate. Some have an ISA slot.
Provide the 5V to the existing old PC using a DSMPS as I believe that nowadays those are much better in term of noise. SMPS made a lot of progress since the UPL was designed, it seems that R&S UPP is using SMPS if I am not wrong and I saw some able to measure 135dB distorsion levels.

Hi Phil,

Welcome!

I have pictures on my drive (the first link of the thread) that shows 2 possible models that i came across off.

Cheers,

Bart

See Screenshot of Page 7 of the volume 2 service manual.

I have Rev5 (UPL) and a more recent revision of UPL66. My LCD is a Toshiba one.

Attachments

• 2021-05-28 19_22_30-UPL Service Manual - Google Drive en nog 13 andere pagina's - Werk - Microso.png
    2021-05-28 19_22_30-UPL Service Manual - Google Drive en nog 13 andere pagina's - Werk - Microso.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 142
Not on my side but I had in mind 2 possible exploration here.
Use a more recent low power PC / CPU motherboard that consume less than the old PC technology used in the UPL that needs larger current to operate. Some have an ISA slot.
Provide the 5V to the existing old PC using a DSMPS as I believe that nowadays those are much better in term of noise. SMPS made a lot of progress since the UPL was designed, it seems that R&S UPP is using SMPS if I am not wrong and I saw some able to measure 135dB distorsion levels.

The UPL can do -130dB no problem.

UPD is using a switcher for the PC side.

My only reasoning to use a separate PSU for the PC end is to reduce the heat generated by the +5V regulator.

Last edited:
Hi Phil,

Welcome!

I have pictures on my drive (the first link of the thread) that shows 2 possible models that i came across off.

Cheers,

Bart

I believe the brightness level might be too high for me.

HINT, for all CCFL users.

An overhaul of the HV driver must be done to prevent some expensive repairs after.

That's the nice thing about the upgrade, you can tune the brightness by having a dimmer, led-choice, current-limit, or diffusers.

I'm not needing sunglasses just yet to operate the UPL, although that would make me look cool though...

Question.

UPL `98 made. LCD seems dead.

Thumping on it appears to briefly show some image.
No image can be seen otherwise, even with a bright light.
No check was performed on the external output.

Thoughts, before I dismantle it?

On some LCD’s there is an interconnect, yours might have a bad connection it seems.

Go for it i would say. Keep us posted on your findings.

Bart

LTM08 on this one. `97 made.

Connections are OK.

Is the foam surrounding the LCD frame EMI conductive?

Suitable replacement?

This is my 5th UPL, 3 of them had recent factory calibrations. Only one had B1 option.

Curios how the UPD manages better THD+N despite having an inferior ADC.

Last edited:
>UPV came after, which will be discontinued in a couple of years as some components >inside are NLA as well.

Do you know which components? May I ask where you got this info?

Thanks,

Seems I was right. UPV is discontinued.

A bit sooner than expected.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-14 at 21-02-25 R S®UPV Audio Analyzer - Overview.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-14 at 21-02-25 R S®UPV Audio Analyzer - Overview.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 204