Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPS

Nice figures, Thimios!
Valery, do you think phase shift at 20KHz is important to the sound quality?
I strive for 3 degrees or less but I often wonder how this attempt brings benefits.......
Hugh

Hi Hugh,

For me, phase shift at 20KHz is one of the indirect indicators of overall design quality. I also try to keep it somewhere between 2-4 degrees - as flat as possible throughout the audio bandwidth. The most natural-sounding amplifiers usually have it this way, according to my experience.

Some 8-12 degrees phase shift at 20KHz is most likely a result of certain over-compensation (leading to low ULGF, slowed-down step response, higher distortion at 20 KHz). Then the logical question is - why did the designer reach this kind of conditions? Some issues with stability margins? Particularly limited bandwidth of the output stage? Makes me suspicious :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Valery

vfa circuit details

Useful for debugging.
Coming soon,distortion measurements.

Attachments

• vfa modular.jpg
    vfa modular.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
VFA DISTORTION

Please do not see the absolute values.
This is what my soundcard measured.
Amplifier distortion will be even lower.
Last picture shows the variable voltage output during the test(steps) in clip conditions.

Attachments

• VFA.PNG
    VFA.PNG
    94.5 KB · Views: 303
  • VFA 20V A.C -2.5db.PNG
    VFA 20V A.C -2.5db.PNG
    93.7 KB · Views: 273
  • VFA -20db.PNG
    VFA -20db.PNG
    94.5 KB · Views: 286
  • vfa 12v a.c out.PNG
    vfa 12v a.c out.PNG
    66.2 KB · Views: 267
  • vfa 29v a.c out.PNG
    vfa 29v a.c out.PNG
    66 KB · Views: 97
  • vfa at clipping levels.PNG
    vfa at clipping levels.PNG
    65.5 KB · Views: 113
  • vfa clipping 1.bmp
    9.4 KB · Views: 72
  • vfa clipping 1.PNG
    vfa clipping 1.PNG
    2.1 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
VFA+NS DISTORTION

Using Right Mark.

Attachments

• DETAILS.PNG
    DETAILS.PNG
    22.6 KB · Views: 129
  • DYNAMIC RANGE.PNG
    DYNAMIC RANGE.PNG
    27.3 KB · Views: 122
  • FREC RES.PNG
    FREC RES.PNG
    23 KB · Views: 96
  • IMD SWEEP TONES.PNG
    IMD SWEEP TONES.PNG
    19.3 KB · Views: 87
  • INTERMODULATION DISTORTION.PNG
    INTERMODULATION DISTORTION.PNG
    28.5 KB · Views: 91
  • NOISE LEVEL.PNG
    NOISE LEVEL.PNG
    28.2 KB · Views: 90
  • THD+NOICE.PNG
    THD+NOICE.PNG
    28.1 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC08329.jpg
    DSC08329.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Thimios,

Too old to compete with anyone now, just with myself.......

Valery, your use of a twin triode for the LTP puts the tube overlay into the fb loop and therefore diminishes the sound of a tube. I think you identified this recently, and I agree.
To overlay the tube sound a little stronger, you could put the triode in front, as a CF perhaps outside the fb loop.

Have you tried this? Of course in my GK1 this does this; the preamp output stage is a CF and worked well....

Cheers,

Hugh

Thimios,

Too old to compete with anyone now, just with myself.......

Valery, your use of a twin triode for the LTP puts the tube overlay into the fb loop and therefore diminishes the sound of a tube. I think you identified this recently, and I agree.
To overlay the tube sound a little stronger, you could put the triode in front, as a CF perhaps outside the fb loop.

Have you tried this? Of course in my GK1 this does this; the preamp output stage is a CF and worked well....

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh, you're right - I actually used the tube as a fine IPS device, not expecting the "tubish" sound in this topology. It shows very good open loop linearity in combination with low noise. Of course, this front-end topology also works with jFETs and BJTs (tested with 2sk117 and BC546 pairs, with appropriate degeneration for each variant). But I still like the tube option very much - it glows and gives a feeling of very high clarity :)

Cheers,
Valery

Looks very good to me. So, you've got all 3 front-end board options operational now, right? Vertical CFA + VFA and X4. Cool :cool:
Yes,CFA+VFA and X4 are ready and tested.
I will try to change some resistor values in X4 making this run cooler .I haven't smd resistors,so i will try to do with thru hole parts.
BTW here is the OUTPUT measurements,just in case that will be useful to someone for debugging.

Attachments

• NS modular.jpg
    NS modular.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
I will try to change some resistor values in X4 making this run cooler .I haven't smd resistors,so i will try to do with thru hole.

This is possible by simultaneous increase of the values of LTPs' tail resistors and resistor between the VAS output current mirrors (3 values in total).

On schematic in post #754 those are: R37, R38, R21.
First - set the VAS output current with R21.
Then - adjust the currents through Q3, Q5, Q7, Q8 with R37, R38.
All these currents have to be roughly the same for the best performance.

Voltage drop over R4, R5, R15, R16 is twice as much, comparing to the voltage drop over R8, R9, R14, R19.

You have publised an update shematic in post#1158.
Is it ok to start with?

Right! Sorry, forgot about it. Here it is once again - just to avoid any confusion.

So, R24 || R95 set the VAS idle current.
Then R6, R15 set the currents through Q3, Q4, Q5, Q6 equal to that VAS idle current. The values, shown here, are calculated for the VAS idle current of around 5mA - this is what you are actually looking for.

Attachments

• @X4-VFA-02.JPG
    @X4-VFA-02.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 533
looks like the CFA front end favors 2nd order over 3rd order harmonics. At this low a level of distortion I wonder if this would sound different then the other front end options that seem to favor 3rd order.
I will try to explain farther.
In all the IPS except CFA the input gnd separeted from main gnd with a 10R smd resistor.
To keep all gnd the same (not smoke)when testing i short this resistor.
Now the important notice...Testing the VFA or X4 with this resistor shorted the distortion figure is equal to the CFA one!

Last edited:
vz-x4 lower VAS current

Right! Sorry, forgot about it. Here it is once again - just to avoid any confusion.

So, R24 || R95 set the VAS idle current.
Then R6, R15 set the currents through Q3, Q4, Q5, Q6 equal to that VAS idle current. The values, shown here, are calculated for the VAS idle current of around 5mA - this is what you are actually looking for.

Ok,here we are.
According to this schematic.
The only difference the compensation capacitors. 47pf has been installed in position C12,C13
Vas current is now 6mA and amplifier runs faster,640ms rise time(smaller compensation).
Full test coming soon.

Attachments

• @X4-VFA-02.PNG
    @X4-VFA-02.PNG
    602.2 KB · Views: 385
  • DSC08342.jpg
    DSC08342.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC08345.jpg
    DSC08345.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
modified vz -x4 test

Let's go!

Attachments

• 100KHz sq.PNG
    100KHz sq.PNG
    14.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 50KHz sq.PNG
    50KHz sq.PNG
    13.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 30KHz sq.PNG
    30KHz sq.PNG
    14.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 20KHz sq.PNG
    20KHz sq.PNG
    14.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 10KHz sq.PNG
    10KHz sq.PNG
    14.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 1kHz squarwave.PNG
    1kHz squarwave.PNG
    13.9 KB · Views: 95
  • VZ 20KHz CLIP.PNG
    VZ 20KHz CLIP.PNG
    16.6 KB · Views: 84
  • VZ 10KHz CLIP.PNG
    VZ 10KHz CLIP.PNG
    14.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 10KHz before clip.PNG
    10KHz before clip.PNG
    13.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 1Khz low level.PNG
    1Khz low level.PNG
    16.6 KB · Views: 139
Looks excellent!

I think, we will add one more resistor placeholder in series with both both R6 and R15 - the optimal value would be some 5.8...5.9 Kohm - easier to add-up by 2 resistors.
It's pretty well-balanced by itself - only 56mV at the servo output, easy job for the servo.
I think, it's going to become our "flagship" IPS board for Modular series.

Is the front-end running cooler in terms of temperature, just by touching the local heatsinks?