Return-to-zero shift register FIRDAC

...you also mention an AX-22 clock...
Should have been AKX-22 https://sites.google.com/site/ackodac/modules-and-kits/clocks-and-oscillators

1691164298340.png

No. I use MMCX connectors but that has nothing to do with the noise floor as you can see from my measurement of ES9038Q2M which also uses MMCX.

That's just the point I was trying to make, that even though you use well-shielded connectors, you get a relatively high noise floor. Whatever the cause, it won't be the crosstalk issue I initially had with my flatcable. Apologies for mixing up the connectors.

At least with DS dac chips for lowest noise the Vref circuit should be placed very close to the target with as low impedance as possible to the DAC Vref pins. LT3042 with its small footprint and small number of required external components makes this possible. My hunch is that also in this RTZ dac LT3042 would lower the noise floor.

The decoupling is right next to the 74LV574As and the buffers have a force-sense connection (at least with my board layout). @Thorp used an LT304x, so maybe Thorp knows what noise floor you can get that way - although that's again with a different layout, of course.

Regarding balanced connections, I know Hans will disagree, but I would always make them AES-48 compliant unless there is a very urgent reason not to. AES-48 compliant means that XLR pin 1 goes straight to the metal enclosure on both the sending and the receiving sides, so the metal enclosures and cable shield form one big Faraday cage, and the enclosure is connected to the circuit ground at one and only one spot.

Reactions: 1 user
That's just the point I was trying to make, that even though you use well-shielded connectors, you get a relatively high noise floor. Whatever the cause, it won't be the crosstalk issue I initially had with my flatcable. Apologies for mixing up the connectors.
I have tested my board a bit more. I get exact same noise from both channels and analog part works without any noise (with 010101 pattern). So I suspect the noise is jitter coming from the clock doubler. Input to 74LVC2G86 has overshoot and output does not look clean. I'll probably add series termination resistors on both input and output to 74LVC2G86. BTW is it possible for 010101 pattern to work well even though clock doubler has jitter?

No. As I said SNR measurements were made in DAC-to-ADC loopback in balanced mode.

I also tested with Marcel's trick (continuous 01010101... pattern). The resulting noisefloor (see below) is more or less the same as ADC's noisefloor. So nothing wrong with the analog part or the measurement setup. Problem is most probably in the digital circuit. I need to test that more.

View attachment 1199435
After having looked at the specs of your ADC, I finally understand your test set up.
Your ADC has dual channels and an amazingly high dynamic range, that’s why you can measure the S/N for a high level input signal without the need for using a LNA.
Very impressive.

Hans

Regarding balanced connections, I know Hans will disagree, but I would always make them AES-48 compliant unless there is a very urgent reason not to. AES-48 compliant means that XLR pin 1 goes straight to the metal enclosure on both the sending and the receiving sides, so the metal enclosures and cable shield form one big Faraday cage, and the enclosure is connected to the circuit ground at one and only one spot.
Marcel,
I only partly disagree, because what you describe is what is used in professional equipment.
However in consumer electronics pin1 is always connected to the analog ground on both ends and not to the chassis.
But even with AES-48, both chassis are in most cases already connected to mains ground through their power cable, and if so connecting both chassis through pin1 means an extra connection that can transfer noise from one chassis to the other.
But in the end, the professional connection is way better as the consumer connection.

Hans

U28A is the clock doubler.

The issue with clock doublers is that spectral peaks in the clock at half the sample rate (or its odd multiples) can mix idle tones around half the sample rate down into the audio band. (I mean mix in the RF sense, produce sum and difference frequencies.) Straightforward single-bit sigma-delta modulator algorithms produce quite strong idle tones around half the sample rate, tones that get frequency modulated by the desired signal, in their digital signal spectrum. When you have a crystal oscillator running at half the sample rate and double it, some of the original crystal frequency is bound to leak through, producing a spectral peak at half the sample rate. That peak can then mix down the idle tones. FIRDACs with a notch at half the sample rate mitigate the issue to some extent, as do modulator algorithms that produce little or no idle tones around half the sample rate.

In this case, the clock doubler doesn't go from 1/2 times the sample rate to 1 time the sample rate, but from 1 time the sample rate to 2 times the sample rate. Exact integer multiples of the sample rate are quite harmless, as the digital signal spectrum around multiples of the sample rate is just a copy of the desired audio spectrum.

Marcel,
When I try Acko's clocks with Andrea's FIFO buffer, either I can let your dac generate the RTZ or I can configure the FIFO buffer to generate RTZ exactly on XO rising MCLK clock edges. Seems like it might be more precise to let the FIFO do it, or at least try it both ways. What do you think? What would be involved to try it?

I have tested my board a bit more. I get exact same noise from both channels and analog part works without any noise (with 010101 pattern). So I suspect the noise is jitter coming from the clock doubler. Input to 74LVC2G86 has overshoot and output does not look clean. I'll probably add series termination resistors on both input and output to 74LVC2G86. BTW is it possible for 010101 pattern to work well even though clock doubler has jitter?

I haven't a clue what the input signals of U28 look like, but Hans did have a look at the output of U28A on my prototype board, using a 470 ohm resistor, 50 ohm coax cable and 50 ohm termination at the input of his oscilloscope. It looked quite nice, actually, with a pulse width of about 8 ns, closer to the design target than I had expected. When there is a duty cycle error at the output of U29, which there normally is, you do get one somewhat longer clock cycle, one somewhat shorter clock cycle, one somewhat longer clock cycle, one somewhat shorter clock cycle and so on at the output of U28A. That is systematic jitter, but systematic jitter corresponding to tones at integer multiples of the sample rate, which are harmless.

The answer to your question is yes, even with jitter at frequency offsets that would normally be harmful. With a 010101... input pattern, the FIRDAC switches between the patterns 0001, 0010, 0100 and 1000, which all have the same average. Clock jitter then only displaces the switching spikes a bit, which hardly has any impact on the low-frequency content.

Last edited:
Marcel,
When I try Acko's clocks with Andrea's FIFO buffer, either I can let your dac generate the RTZ or I can configure the FIFO buffer to generate RTZ exactly on XO rising MCLK clock edges. Seems like it might be more precise to let the FIFO do it, or at least try it both ways. What do you think? What would be involved to try it?

If the purpose is to find out how well or how poorly my DAC works, it seems logical to let my DAC generate the RTZ and the doubled clock.

I can't answer your question about how to hook up Andrea's FIFO buffer to my DAC, because I know nothing about Andrea's FIFO buffer. Is there a description somewhere about what output signals it produces in RTZ mode? What are the high and low levels?

We sometimes call it 'differential summing.' Its taking the difference of two signals, one of which is inverted relative to the other. Doing that attenuates common mode noise. Doesn't matter the exact topology used to do it, just the end result that matters.

Also, maybe consider what it would be doing if it were a DC servo. That would just mean it attenuates only very low frequency common mode noise. At least, you could think of it in those terms.
As I see it, it is just a dc servo to null output offsets. U8 is a pure integrator with a Cap in its feedback. So will attenuate dc/low frequency common mode noise but not higher ones. So not the same as a summing differential amp that can block both dc and ac common mode effects. Any further insights into this operation of the circuit🤔

If the purpose is to find out how well or how poorly my DAC works, it seems logical to let my DAC generate the RTZ and the doubled clock.

I can't answer your question about how to hook up Andrea's FIFO buffer to my DAC, because I know nothing about Andrea's FIFO buffer. Is there a description somewhere about what output signals it produces in RTZ mode? What are the high and low levels?
Good point Marcel, yes we need to keep things within scope of the intended plan.

As I see it, it is just a dc servo to null output offsets. U8 is a pure integrator with a Cap in its feedback. So will attenuate dc/low frequency common mode noise but not higher ones. So not the same as a summing differential amp that can block both dc and ac common mode effects. Any further insights into this operation of the circuit🤔

Mark's explanation is fully correct. The loop bandwidth is roughly 1.5 MHz, so common-mode disturbances below 1.5 MHz are suppressed (the further below 1.5 MHz, the better they are suppressed). The only reason why C18 and C45 are in the circuit, is to keep the common-mode loops stable.

Curious result, I listened to it single-ended and I heard no brightness or distortion, in fact, in spite of being on a breadboard, the sound quality compared very favourably to my Valve DAC, which uses balanced outputs, turned single-ended via Lundahl transformers - the valve DAC is a tad richer but I felt the RTZ revealed a little more detail and both are amazingly good IMO. These observations were reinforced by fellow UK-based audio DIYers when I took Marcel's original protoype to an audio meet, at which I also demonstrated a Valve DAC - the result is that two of those DIYers now own RTZ DACs. That said, as I reported earlier, I don't own an Amanero and wouldn't contemplate buying another one as the JLSounds board is superior IMO.

When I demo'ed the RTZ DAC at the UK meet I used Native DSD source files, mostly at DSD256.
Thank you, all good in light of the insights gained so far on how Marcel’s DAC prepares the outputs.