Return-to-zero shift register FIRDAC

Regarding upping the clock frequency, there would be some increased phase noise.

Yes, the sensitivity to phase noise is greatest for equal weights in a FIR DAC. You might notice it came last after fixing that part.

Some unpublished experiments suggest that very low levels of close-in phase noise produce audible effects. IOW, its not only about reducing CM noise. There are always tradeoffs.

Of course. As noted my suggested sequence is:

Dual DAC's interleaved, with suitable filtering

Non-rectangular (personal preference Kaiser) window function

Increased master clock frequency (4X instead of 2X), to allow 75% duty cycle instead of 50%

Thor

By inherent nature, RTZ DAC's switch a full cycle for every H.

This creates common mode "clock subharmonics or clock feedthrough (not harmonics, as we are always at frequencies at or below the clock for fundamentals), if we want to persnickety)" compared to a NRZ DAC.

Here an example of a NRZ DAC with 75% duty cycle (common in commercial DAC's, e.g. Burr Brown DSD1700:

View attachment 1282609

Note here in the DSD1700 block diagram the "Duty Generator":

View attachment 1282615

So we have a lot of common mode noise caused by the DAC switching at the update clock.

The noise is not correlated with the audio, but correlated with the clock and noise shaper.

With NRZ the level of this steady state noise at the FIR clock frequency is equal to full scale.

I still remember early DS DAC's that had major problems with this and basically worked poorly with Op-Amp most Op-Amp's common then in audio, needing to shift to current feedback designs at 150Mhz unity gain bandwidth to sound good (or more alternative solutions as covered in my "Valve analogue stages" article).

Allow me to keep a few personal secrets. MvG is aware of my ideas and is of course free to comment.

I would instead suggest a mitigation strategy for MvG's DAC, that is kind of trivial to implement, at the cost of doubling up the DAC devices.

I cannot claim credit, it is in principle found here in Bruno Putzney's paper:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...s_for_high-performance_discrete_AD_converters

MvG's DAC has 50% duty Cycle. Let us say we add a second complete DAC section, operated with opposite polarity RTZ clock. So whenever the main DAC has a Zero following a One, the auxiliary DAC has a One following a Zero.

The resultant combined waveform substantially resembles an NRZ DAC, with much lower glitch energy from NRZ. Using illustrations from Bruno's article again:

View attachment 1282623

View attachment 1282625

I have used what amounts to a variant of this in all the higher end iFi DAC's using complete DAC's to operate according to this interleaving principle and having the same passive filter structure. At least commercially this was very successful with a strong reputation for sound quality.

I did make the suggestion to MvG in our discussions in private, but he was not very keen on the idea.

Another possible improvement to MvG's DAC that I think he may agree with is to move from equal bit weights to a different function, I will leave MvG to post his rather excellent note on the the subject which he graciously shared with me.

Personally I would suggest something based on Kaiser Window function. It does need at least 0.1% tolerance resistors.

In my view doing these two steps would materially improve on MvG's excellent and simple design and arguably make it more into something like a DSD1700 made in discrete logic. At which point we may wish to up the clock to 4 X fir clk and use 75% Duty Cycle instead of 50%.

Note, what I write is not intended as criticism. Merely my thinking based on dealing with the same underlying issues in IC based DAC's.

Thor
Thx, a very positive and super interesting contribution.

Hans

Reactions: 1 user
By inherent nature, RTZ DAC's switch a full cycle for every H.

This creates common mode "clock subharmonics or clock feedthrough (not harmonics, as we are always at frequencies at or below the clock for fundamentals), if we want to persnickety)" compared to a NRZ DAC.

Here an example of a NRZ DAC with 75% duty cycle (common in commercial DAC's, e.g. Burr Brown DSD1700:

View attachment 1282609
So what do the RTZ waveforms look like in comparison to the NRZ DAC?

I did make the suggestion to MvG in our discussions in private, but he was not very keen on the idea.

The reason for this is quite simple: the four shift register outputs in my DAC are already interleaved. As there is half a bit clock cycle delay between the taps, two adjacent taps together ideally produce the same waveform as an NRZ DAC would produce. In total, there are four taps, also suppressing idle tones near half the sample rate. The schematic looks a bit complicated for a simple four-tap FIRDAC because there is a positive and a negative part and they are interleaved in various ways to improve matching (and thereby reduce data-dependence of the current out of the reference supply).

I tried to explain that to Thor in our private discussion, but somehow the message didn't come through; I'm still not sure whether he didn't understand me or I didn't understand him or both. After I found out that Thor is a manufacturer rather than a hobbyist, I stopped the PM thread; helping hobbyists is no problem, but I don't think my boss would appreciate it if I helped potential competitors.

When reproducing a 10101010... bit pattern, the waveforms for my DAC ideally look something like this:

RTZshiftregFIRDAC4taphalfclockdelay.png

That is, each 1 in the input signal results in a pulse at positive output 0, each 0 results in a pulse at negative output 0, and those are then shifted with half a bit clock period between the taps.

RTZshiftregFIRDAC4taphalfclockdelay2.png

Of course you can think of more complicated schemes with higher duty cycles, but then you need a higher multiple of the bit clock frequency.

Regarding passive filtering, there are the 8.2 nF NPO capacitors on the DAC board right at the outputs of the resistor networks.

I have thought a bit about making a passive LC filter and terminating it with an MFB stage input, such that the impedance ideally goes to zero at 0 Hz and for high frequencies, but I haven't worked it out to anything practical yet. Without inductors, I could only come up with either the present scheme or solutions of which the impedance is by design not very low at low frequencies. I want the DACs to work into virtual grounds to keep the load on the reference data-independent, among other things.

Last edited:
After I found out that Thor is a manufacturer rather than a hobbyist, I stopped the PM thread; helping hobbyists is no problem, but I don't think my boss would appreciate it if I helped potential competitors.

"I found out" meaning that he mentioned it in one of the PMs. In retrospect, my response was a bit silly; I'm an integrated circuit designer and Thorsten is not, so we are actually no competitors at all.

Would you be willing to say more about the rational in favor of an evenly weighted FIRDAC?

With my FIRDAC length, I need equal weights to suppress idle tones around half the sample rate. For much longer FIRDACs, I think unequal weights can result in better suppression of far-off jitter while still producing a notch at half the sample rate, see the attachment.

Attachments

• jitterFIRDAC_en.pdf
    60.3 KB · Views: 95
The reason for this is quite simple: the four shift register outputs in my DAC are already interleaved.

Yes, BUT... Let's be clear, the topic is this circuit:

1709788520422.png

It is clocked at 2fs where Fs is the DSD Sample rate, say 2.8224 MHz. Our 5.6448MHz clock will shift one bit for each clock.

If we send NRZ data to this DAC directly, and compare to RTZ here is the result:

1709789682521.png

Yes, you have multiple taps, but in "zero" part of "return to zero" for a set of 1's rippling through the SR, half of all taps are zero, causing common mode at 1/2 of the shift register clock. It matters not how many taps you have, what would be 1111 / 0000 on the outputs (P / N) with NRZ data sampled at 2fs will be 1010 / 0000 on the outputs (P / N) with RTZ data sampled at 2fs.

Now allow me to add a second set of data delayed by 1/2 BCK.

1709790364999.png

The second delayed DAC substantially restores the NRZ waveform and common mode, leaving only the glitches caused by unequal rise and fall time as common mode, at 2FS.

As there is half a bit clock cycle delay between the taps, two adjacent taps together ideally produce the same waveform as an NRZ DAC would produce.

But they cannot, they are fed a RTZ waveform, meaning two adjacent taps must be 01 or 10 for a 1 and 00 for a zero, where NRZ would show 11 / 00.

Only my suggestion of introducing actually a second DAC with data delayed by 1/2 FS (or 1 SR CK) produces this "same waveform as an NRZ DAC".

In total, there are four taps, also suppressing idle tones near half the sample rate. The schematic looks a bit complicated for a simple four-tap FIRDAC because there is a positive and a negative part and they are interleaved in various ways to improve matching (and thereby reduce data-dependence of the current out of the reference supply).

Yes.

And I suggested that simply taking the feed of the second DAC from the first Tap on the first DAC, which is cut and jump on most PCB's, would in fact create this "equivalent to NRZ DAC" but as you rightly pointed out, it would create a small amount of disturbance on the reference voltage.

How material on a 4-Layer PCB with ground and power planes and proper decoupling is matter of debate though. It did however lead to another

I tried to explain that to Thor in our private discussion, but somehow the message didn't come through; I'm still not sure whether he didn't understand me or I didn't understand him or both.

I understood quite well, you are very clear in your explanations. It is no doubt may failing not making points understandable.

After I found out that Thor is a manufacturer rather than a hobbyist,

Alas, I am a private individual, not a manufacturer. But I am a consultant for hire and indeed have a DAC project for a customer. However a straight copy of a DSC2 or your DAC would have been fine for that.

My reasons to discuss my suggestions and ideas with you were more in the spirit of enquiry to gain knowledge and perhaps give a few ideas you may have overlooked. An exchange between professionals in the interest of knowledge. I am sorry this was misunderstood and would again like to thank you for your time. It is quite embarrassing for me that was not able in our conversation, to contribute anything you found of value.

When reproducing a 10101010... bit pattern, the waveforms for my DAC ideally look something like this:

View attachment 1282736

Something like this but NOT EXACTLY LIKE THIS. See above.

It is easy to simulate.

Of course you can think of more complicated schemes with higher duty cycles, but then you need a higher multiple of the bit clock frequency.

In many cases 1024 X Fs (where Fs is 44.1/48kHz) is available in modern digital audio systems.

Regarding passive filtering, there are the 8.2 nF NPO capacitors on the DAC board right at the outputs of the resistor networks.

Well, I see these as part of a MFB lowpass, formed of the input stage of the "Filter" and the DAC's effective Z-Out.

As such it is not really passive filtering.

I have thought a bit about making a passive LC filter and terminating it with an MFB stage input, such that the impedance ideally goes to zero at 0 Hz and for high frequencies, but I haven't worked it out to anything practical yet. Without inductors, I could only come up with either the present scheme or solutions of which the impedance is by design not very low at low frequencies.

Inductors are available at sub Ohm DCR, why the prejudice against inductors?

I want the DACs to work into virtual grounds to keep the load on the reference data-independent, among other things.

If the DCR of our inductor is low enough.... Is there really such a huge difference terminating a DAC into an active inverting input or into such an input with (say) 250mOhm series resistance?

Thor

"I found out" meaning that he mentioned it in one of the PMs. In retrospect, my response was a bit silly; I'm an integrated circuit designer and Thorsten is not, so we are actually no competitors at all.

It is entirely my fault, I should have mentioned it upfront.

I was instead echoing that Carly Simon song and that 90's dance track by Culture Beat, being Mr. Vain and "so vain", to presume that my name and person (and that fact that I have worked professionally in audio) were generally known in the scene and did not need explicit statement, nor did I feel was that particularly relevant.

Thor

It is easy to simulate.

Maybe you should simulate my DAC, then you will finally see how it works - specifically that half the taps form your second DAC.

Inductors are available at sub Ohm DCR, why the prejudice against inductors?

I have no problem with inductors, in fact I have potcore inductors in my valve DAC. The trick with an LC filter would be to terminate it without adding substantial series resistance (which would worsen the virtual ground at low frequencies) or shunt conductance (which would add noise). I think a combination with an MFB stage could do the trick.

Maybe you should simulate my DAC, then you will finally see how it works - specifically that half the taps form your second DAC.

Marcel, your DAC gets two RTZ Data, SD(P) and SDN.

Both Data is forced to zero for 50% of the time, regardless of state. That is what RTZ means. The "forced zero" state lasts one clock cycle of the shift register clock and thus 1/2 of the nput BCK.

It means if there is always a "gap" of 1 shift register clocks between two sequential 1's applied to the shift register.

As data and clocks have simple parallel connections, without any delay between them, these forced zeros ripple through the shift register and cause the large levels of CM noise (and a 6dB loss in signal strength and thus SNR).

Your definition of "interleaving" and my one are very different. To me "interleaving" in an RTZ DAC means we use a second DAC running delayed thus that the "1" from the second DAC "fill in" the Zeros caused by RTZ on the output of the first DAC and visa versa.

This is NOT the case in your DAC. And it creates a large problem with common mode noise at BCK.

I did simulate it but did not keep that file as I kept evolving things. If and whem I find time I will recreate the full sim of your DAC logic to illustrate what I mean.

Thor

For Marcel's dac there are both RTZ zero (0's) and inverted RTZ zeros (1's) rippling through the same shift register IC. For that reason, in terms of things like Vref loading and shift register IC ground bounce, the shift register data is interleaved.

However from the perspective of the output stage, the I/V opamps see RTZ zeros (either inverted or non-inverted) in the data. So from the perspective of the I/V opamps the data is not interleaved.

Does that more or less sum up the interleaving arguments?

Last edited:
Love this stuff... if only I can begin to understand it... baby steps... thanks Thor and Marcel...

In looking at I/V converters, transients look problematic if they exist. IME complete controlled transitions can be ignored, as representing fixed RMS highs and lows being cancelled (becoming only an artifact of the nature of the digital stream). Truncated transients appear unpredictable though they may not be in representing some form of consistent RMS artifact. It depends on how well any transients can be handled.

Last edited:
For Marcel's dac there are both RTZ zero (0's) and inverted RTZ zeros (1's) rippling through the same shift register IC. For that reason, in terms of things like Vref loading and shift register IC ground bounce, the shift register data is interleaved.

Look at the input data. Input Data is NRZ.

First, data is reclocked and split into two polarities per channel at the output of the second xx74.

1709827438984.png

Now we have two sets of Data with opposite polarity. In a system with a suitable master clock present this could BTW simplified a lot, here it helps reliably bridge clock domains.

We then use bunch of Or-Gates with the XOR gate U28B to insert zeros. The XOR gate has one input at VCC and the other at BCK:

1709827894092.png

This way the output will become "L" when BCK is "H" and "H" when BCK is "L". An inverter would pretty much do the same, but there are some possible niceties around timing.

Our four data streams pass through four Or Gates, which all have one input tied to the inverted BCK.

1709828127308.png

The OR gate is simple. As long as one input is L, the output is L.

This means whenever BCK is H after the edge has been delayed by the XOR Gate and the switching time of the OR gate(s), the output for all four data streams IN COMMON is forced to Zero, regardless of input data..

Whenever BCK is L the output of the OR Gates will be whatever the input is. During this half BCK clock, one output will be L and the other must be H.

Finally the data at the outputs of the OR Gate(s) is delayed using RC and sampled by a set of D-Flip-Flops (aka Latches) and is inverted into the bargain. This will sample at the leading edge of the doubled clock and will thus have capture both the "zero" section (which becomes H ) and the "data" section of the cycle.

1709828872828.png

The clock from these comes from the clock doubler (or a phase and frequency locked MCK of 2 X BCK) which uses an XOR gate double the clock.

The same clock then also drives the DAC. The DAC is dual-4 Bit FIR.

However, there is no time domain interleaving (e.g. invert clock polarity to one of the DAC or delay the data one DAC by 1 shift register clock.

This that on the first clock we write all H into all four data lines to all four shift registers. This is the common mode part, because, because all four data lines have the SAME state.

We then in the clock cycle write the actual data part into the shift register which complementary, that is if one line is L the must be H.

This generates our differential mode signal.

The result is a classic RTZ FIR DAC. It is covered extensively in uses at RF, as the output spectrum of aliases differs from NRZ considerably and useful for system that suppress the base band and actually use alias products as a signal at frequencies much higher than actual base band of the DAC.

For audio this behaviour however is NOT A GOOD THING in my book.
In other words, we solved Inter Symbol Interference (ISI) distortion. This is commonly H2 dominant with higher even order products and will be suppressed for the even orders and cause increased odd distortion in a balanced NRZ FIR DAC (e.g. Pavel Pogodin DSC2) but not in a SE FIR DAC (e.g. Jussi DSC).

But we created a new problem (actually several).

As said, my main mitigation strategy would be to double the DAC again and feed it with a signal delayed by one SR clock.

Or indeed give up the extreme symmetry of MvG's original design (which will give MAYBE more modulation of the reference supply by audio) and instead of feeding U9/U16 from the same data as U7/U14 feed them from Q0/Q1 of U7/U14 to achieve time domain interleaving.

Doing that in turn reduced the common mode noise from in effect the bit clock at full Vcc of the shift registers to that caused by the difference in rise and fall time at each edge of BCK, resulting in much less energy to filter out to prevent it from causing havoc downstream.

And in doing so, we also restored the effective waveform (minus the glitched at the clock edge) to an NRZ one. Again, this is quite well covered in literature on RF DAC's (and ADC's), where we can also find options that go beyond simple interleaved RTZ DAC's.

I had originally actually written to MvG to suggest the "cut & jump" interleaving when there was a lot more development ongoing, but as said, the idea did not "fly" with Marcel, for whatever reason. The larger discussion grew out of that up to the abrupt end.

I hope this clarifies what I am going on about and how it relates.

Thor