Replacement For Toshiba 2SK170/2SJ74

Well, one can design with SE or Differential, no complimentary, and use Tosh 2SK209 and be completely satisfied. Take the Yamaha M-5000. Very musical amp, uses SK209 all day long.

1665662144445.png

And... worked fine ?

What I am wondering about, and this is a serious question. Since many N-chn are symmetrical, meaning drain can work as source and vice versa. Assuming the K209 is, would replacing the P-chn in a complimentary diff pair work if we flip the K209 such that the upper and lower half are source-to-source ??

- edit -
That would mean we end up with a quasi-complimentary discrete JFet differential pair with complimentary cascode BJT and MOSFET voltage stage

Last edited:
You can never make a PJFET from an NJFET.
Semiconductor physics.

Of course a 2SK209 diff pair works fine.
Many examples built.
And better than J113 diff pair in same application.

Oh, and I still have 2000+ 2SK170BL on hand, in addition to V's and GR's.
Plus matching numbers of 2SJ74's, plus many others.
So I shall have more than enough fun for my lifetime.
But most generous of you for your donation, maybe to others.
I am sure there are many takers.

Cheers,
Patrick

For normal DIY's amp use (not the amp with 1000 JFETs) it is possible to get 2SK/2SJ for the rest of an amp builders' life.
Some quads or octets should do it. Then why not just get them?
It is good practice to get some when you buy other stuff from DIY Store. I have added some many times to the order. I am relative sure I have enough for the future. This will not stop me to get some more if good offers show up :) Inflation proof investment?

Never seen K170/J74 with such bended outer legs. And the print (no straight „1“ and no curved „7“) looks like fake.
You can zoom my picture above and compare the print.

But safest is to measure Idss and Vgs. The fakes I had received 2 times before I found a reliable source were with much lower Transconductance, resulting in a much too high Vgs for a given Idss.
K170-BL are usually in the range of 0.5V.

Regards, Jean-Claude

Reactions: 1 user
I published a while ago some matching data on LSK170/LSJ74 JFETs.
These are being hailed as worthy equivalent of the Toshiba 2SK170/2SJ74.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...lsk170-jfet-pairs-grade-b.321649/post-5706027

Yesterday, I was playing with a complementary pair of the LS JFETs.
To my great surprise, totally unexpected results as follows :

The pair is wired as a simple complementary source follower with no source resistance.
They were matched to better than 0.1mA Idss at +/-12V individually beforehand.
In the source follower circuit, if the Idss is perfectly matched, output DC should be 0V.

Here are the measurement results :

Supply DC_offset
+/-12V -0.9mV
+/-9V_ -6.4mV
+/-7V_ -10.6mV

Idss of both JFETs drop with Vds, but the NJFET a lot more than the PJFET.
This means that in many applications, a pair matched at 12V rails are unuseable at even 9V rails !!!

How does Toshiba compare ?
I picked a matched pair from my private collection, with Idss at 8.05mA and matched at +/-9V to 0.02mA.

Supply DC_offset
+/-12V 0.8mV
+/-9V_ 0.0mV
+/-7V_ -0.6mV

So when to using LSK/LSJ matched pairs, make sure that the matching conditions is the same as in the application.
Unless you are happy with 10mV DC offset. ;)

Patrick

I think this post deserves a repost. Thanks for sharing :)