QuantAsylum QA400 and QA401

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That is really the issue for me with DIY projects.... time. anything slowing me down, I dont do... plenty of other things to do. Then secondary things - like I cant read the value on the various smd parts, slows me down also. etc etc.

THx-RNMarsh

No need to read parts. I have a big multi-bin parts box, and an Excel sheet that says whats in each bin. When I get an order delivered, the parts go in a bin and the Excel gets updated (only location, I don't bother with quantity - if it seems to get empty, I order 100 again. SMD prices are ridiculously low anyway).

So at assembly time, I look up the part in the Excel, get it out of the right bin, solder it.
Believe me, MUCH faster than getting a through-hole resistor out of the box or bag, bending the leads, solder, turn over, cut the leads...
Sooo twentieth century! :cool:

Jan

That is really the issue for me with DIY projects.... time. anything slowing me down, I dont do... plenty of other things to do. Then secondary things - like I cant read the value on the various smd parts, slows me down also. etc etc.

THx-RNMarsh

Just a matter of getting things organized. But if you don't like it you probably never will.

I do feel sorry for anyone that has to repair SMT boards. It's one of the reasons I left that business.

Last edited:
Sorry this will be off topic but i want to show my latest experience using smd soldering by hand

Attachments

• DSC00195.jpg
    DSC00195.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 320
Those T962s are not thought highly of. I built an oven based on the ControLeo 2 from whizoo.com. It works extremely well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
And my board supplier does a stainless stencil for an extra $10. I found applying paste with a squeegee easy, and the end result superb.

There is some useful stuff over on the EEVblog forums.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

As promised some shots of the autoranger main PCB.

All SMDs are 0805 or 1206. I soldered this with no special tools, just thin solder and a fine iron point.
There's one exception: a few dual protection diodes in 3-pin SOT, see for instance D7 top right. These are a bit smaller but still easy enough for my almost 7 decades old eyes!
This is my testing prototype and the final will be slightly different but not much.

The small control PCB has also some SMDs, plus of course the buttons, on/off switch and display on the front. DIL/header connectors, the DIL28 controller and some TH resistors on the back.

And please, no comments on my soldering proficiency or lack thereof :(

Jan

A piece of cake to solder!

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Just a matter of getting things organized. But if you don't like it you probably never will.

I do feel sorry for anyone that has to repair SMT boards. It's one of the reasons I left that business.

I realize this is a DIY place. I just dont do much DIY. So going to bins and speadsheets is fine if I was doing a string of DIY projects. I have very good vision now that both eye lens have been replaced.... 20-20. You are correct, I just dont like it and would only do it out of necessity..... no similar product to buy.

Recall when S.Wurcer did his line level descrete.... SWOPA..... all was very interested and following along until it came to make it. The layout was done for sm and the forum died. I dont know if that ever got built by anyone. The kits I have seen on eBay... come with smd presoldered and the rest for me to do. Thats OK also. Especially with fine line, multi-pin complex IC's.

THx-RNMarsh

That seems to be a very good price for a stainless steel stencil.

I found this place for locally produced plastic stencils, with a minimum cost of £15 inc delivery, for which sum you get an A4 laser cut sheet, though it's not clear if this price is subject to 20% sales tax or not. https://www.smtstencil.co.uk
My supplier is Pcbcart. Have a look at their proto board service. The stencil is an option with that.

Sent from my x600 using Tapatalk

My supplier is Pcbcart. Have a look at their proto board service. The stencil is an option with that.

Interesting to see what is available out there. It does though say that prototype board quantities are >=5, do you always purchase 5 boards or more?

With a company like that what's the time frame from uploading your files to getting a package of pcb's back through your letter box?

Richard, the Bruno Putzeys preamp is 80% SMD and was/is quite successful as a group buy, still running, so I am not sure whether the SMD was a factor.

Jan

Exhibit 2 would be opc's 'The Wire' series, heaps of DIY SMD, sold in reasonable volumes over the last few years ...

Very interested in your project Jan, definitely keen on a kit or boards or whatever you are able to offer.

I don't currently have a 100kHz source to use as per your calibration technique though. So I have started looking around for a cost effective 100kHz generator. Anyone else in the same boat found anything interesting?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Richard, the Bruno Putzeys preamp is 80% SMD and was/is quite successful as a group buy, still running, so I am not sure whether the SMD was a factor.

Jan

I understand and this site is attractive to the DIY'er. Maybe I am wrong and it was just that one circuit as an exception. DIY isnt for me because of the time etal issues... no matter how much 'fun' it is. And, smd moves it even further away... Now if there was a real space issue or Rf or something.....
maybe I am the only person on the planet who feels this way (?) Or, me and three other people. Get me a loaded smd pcb and I'll buy it.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Interesting to see what is available out there. It does though say that prototype board quantities are >=5, do you always purchase 5 boards or more?

With a company like that what's the time frame from uploading your files to getting a package of pcb's back through your letter box?

The cost is small, so the qty of 5 is a gift of some extra boards. If you plug some numbers into their quote form you'll see how affordable it is. The thing that helps is there is no tooling setup cost on these proto boards.

Generally from the time I upload and pay to receipt of the package is about 10 days. They show the timeframes in the quote system and delivery time depends on where you are.

I've been using PCBcart for about 6 years and have had nothing but great product and service. And I have no connection, and am not paid to say this :)