QuantAsylum QA400 and QA401

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi hochopeper,
If it's a 100 KHz source you need, an LC circuit could make an effective filter to hang after a crude sine wave source. Any of the HP oscillators like the 3336B or 3325A or B would serve quite well. Digital frequency accuracy, digital level stability. The L-C filter network would really do a number on distortion products.

Any of the XR2206 type circuits could also be used with a drop in stability, but still probably better than you need.

-Chris

And, smd moves it even further away... Now if there was a real space issue or Rf or something.....
maybe I am the only person on the planet who feels this way (?) Or, me and three other people. Get me a loaded smd pcb and I'll buy it.

THx-RNMarsh

What Richard said.

But gentlemen, it doesn't have to be this way...SMD is supposed to be
the "automation wonder" so why aren't there any hybrid boards?

Maybe a board that 90 - 95 percent or more SMD completed
with maybe 10 to 5 percent through hole.
Okay 1 percent through hole so some folks
can fool around with plug in OpAmp modules, through hole caps
and resistors for those who want to play with them etc.

Then, have configurable "modules" for a/to a standard agreed upon
interface. ?

Then we need someone who's just a great ORGANIZER who can communicate effectively and find what folks need and want.
And if we could figure out some type of help for effort, those who contribute the most can get some type of remuneration whether free board or parts
or something. What that might be who knows.

Heck, how many people think its fun looking under a microscope
to see the board with tweezers and little SMD parts with a micro solder tip
hoping you won't cough and lose the part.

OR

We can buy one of those rigs to help us with the SMD Soldering.

OR

Maybe I'm way off here. If I am, let me know.

I still think is it find good products and mod them for our use.
Unless you just want to do the next greatest DIY Build, which
is fine also. We all don't have machine shops in our out buildings
etc, etc, etc.

Cheers,

Sync

I wasn't referring to Jan's build, but builds in general.

And, I guess thinking along those lines is anachronistic, is it not?

Wouldn't we just use solder paste and stick it in some sort of oven
or use and IR type heating element to flow the solder?

I can see if someone were to take orders ahead of time and cash,
and be of some reliable reputation to have the boards built and supplied
with the SMD parts already on board. It does minimize over all time
and yes, would be more costly up front.

It is what it is.

Cheers,

Sync

purchase QA401

Hi all,
Someone knows about the states of QuantAsylum?
I'm interested in their QA401 audio analyzer, however I found there in no update news on their website and forum, I would like to know if it's available now to purchase that?
Do appreciate if some guys can tell me that:D.
Thanks!
Andy-Tan
Email: removed at members request

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm considering buying a QA401 and pretty much read the entire QA40x thread today. I'm torn between a sound card - ARTA or a QA401. Autoranger would make either of them much better. Another possibility is a calibrated HP 8903A but that doesn't give me FFT capability and could get a little pricey for a hobby. Regardless, I would be interested in purchasing an AutoRanger. Kickstarter seems like a good way to do it.

Any thoughts about my purchasing dilemma would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

QA401 Product. How do I find out more?

Back to my previous post. I'm really close to either purchasing a SoundCard/ARTA setup or a QA401. I would really prefer the QA401 but have not found very many reviews or posts and it seems to cost about 2x or more of going the soundcard route. The QA website points to this thread but I am mostly finding information and posts relating to the AR since the time the QA401 was released. Can any owners of the QA401 comment about the product and support or point me to a couple of reviews please?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Can any owners of the QA401 comment about the product ...

I have a QA401, it's very easy to use and I like it's input protection feature. You'll likely need to make a few adapter cables, the THD of the built in oscillator is OK but not particularly low - should be fine measuring most DIY amplifiers but you'll need some serious notch filters if you're going to measure low THD oscillators. There are some features in ARTA which are not available in the QA401 software, so you may want to try it first to confirm it has all the features you want.

More and more I find myself using ATRA most of the time, the lack of input protection is a main concern. Otherwise with a good sound card (I use Lynx Hilo) I find ARTA quite more powerful than a QA401.