Pros and cons of different midbass horns

Hi POOH,

Wow this a liitle throat in relation to the cone size !

How do you made for extend in the low end the 350-400 Hz natural HF roll of of the B&C driver ? Thanks to the space between the throat and the cone surround ? How deep is it ? 3 cm ? Or is it simply the volume of load ?

The cone is actually a lot smaller than 8" the compression ration is typical for a front loaded expo horn, There is no front chamber just an initial flare of negative 10 degrees for 3.5". The negative throat smoothed out a peak I had at 150 hz and extended flat response to 100 Hz compared to 120.

Let me guess - a even larger horn? :)
No. I was referring to driver designs. There's isn't any great options out there today, at least not that I'm aware of that's also payable (not considering brands like ALE and GOTO). JBL made some pretty good mid bass horn drivers but they are obsolete. Besides, they can also be improved .
So getting our own driver designed is the way to go.

I don't think there's market for a bigger horn. Besides, I don't quite see the point either for home use considering our mid bass horn has a constant directivity down to and even below schroeder. Below the schroeder frequency room modes will dominate any way.

No. I was referring to driver designs. There's isn't any great options out there today, at least not that I'm aware of that's also payable (not considering brands like ALE and GOTO). JBL made some pretty good mid bass horn drivers but they are obsolete. Besides, they can also be improved .
So getting our own driver designed is the way to go.

I don't think there's market for a bigger horn. Besides, I don't quite see the point either for home use considering our mid bass horn has a constant directivity down to and even below schroeder. Below the schroeder frequency room modes will dominate any way.

Would this be another 15" driver or an 8 inch like with POOH'S horn? I am considering making an 8" 2.1T field coil driver here in Oslo.

Well, then you will like what a nice member called Hentai helped me with: Field Coil Conversion JBL 2220H - Project Ryu Blog
Electro motor, right?
Nice work.

We're taking a different route. Here's a possible scenario with an upcoming driver in our horn. JBL 2220H is the black graph.
attachment.php

Attachments

• New driver vs JBL 2220H.png
    New driver vs JBL 2220H.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,026
Problem is it costs £3k to have the motor made, so a future project.

About the graph, when I used the JBL 2220H in a horn I did not want more midrange. It is quite screechy, if you don't set a steep crossover point at 400-500Hz. What do you want to achieve with the new driver?

I'm planning to crossover around 600 Hz, depending on driver and the sound. Need to experiment some.

I would like however, a horn that remains the sensitivity up to 800 Hz. The graph for the simulated driver keeps it it going further than what's really needed, but it does give a lot of flexibility.
Besides that, I'm hoping for an upgrade in general quality compared to JBL 2220. We'll see how it goes in a comparison.

Congrats team Bjørn!

Maybe you could try to run a sim with the BD-15: BD15 ?

That looks a bit like a modern day version of the 2220. Underhung motor with neo magnet. Looks very close to the 2220 in a quick sim I did. Le is a little high though and no mention of shorting rings or copper sleeve in the motor.

If you build your own driver I think an underhung vc, neo magnet(neo is exspensive but the cheaper shipping will make up for it) and a lot of copper in the motor would be interesting.
2.5 / 3" voice coil is plenty for home use and will save weight and inductance over a 4".

FYI - The 2220 is the pro version of the 130A, which makes them both superior horn drivers. However, the the T-S parameters of the BD15 are no match to the JBL speakers. The 2220 will operate in a volume of approximately 2.2 cubic feet admirable. Without running any calculations on the BD15 I estimate the volume required for that driver would be in the 3 to 4 cubic foot region.

Problem is it costs £3k to have the motor made, so a future project.

About the graph, when I used the JBL 2220H in a horn I did not want more midrange. It is quite screechy, if you don't set a steep crossover point at 400-500Hz. What do you want to achieve with the new driver?

I have to agree with this. The 2220 JBL is pretty "screechy" :) Look good on paper for a horn BUT lol

JBL  90° x 50° Coverage M + T Waveguides, JBL CMCD-82H, 8" midrange + 1.5" CD tweeter. Closer to your directivity goals.

CMCD™ Cone Midrange Compression Driver provides low midrange distortion, increased sensitivity, extended bandwidth and improved phase coherency.

PT™ Progressive Transition Waveguide for excellent pattern control with low distortion.

https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/AM6200_95.pdf

Sorry to interupt but has any of you compared Jbl cmcd 81h vs. cmcd 82h?

Any significant improvement in cmcd 82h over Cmcd 81H - is there actually any upgrades in the cmcd line after 82H version? I’ve traced some data about variable sensitivity (?)SPL 110-112 db of cmcd 82H vs 108 db per 81h + changed magnet system in 82h. I was wondering whether you have any full specs of both 81h and 82h drivers at hand, please? I’ve seen that 81h could go down as low as 250-300Hz then number of upper limits shown – 1200-1600-1800Hz? How about the 82h capabilities in that respect?

Another thing is the enclosure of these – shortened wooden conical/round tractrix or the recommended PT-K95MH waveguide (90° x 50°, 18 x 18in) so that getting down to approx. 300Hz (doubt about the material used in these) would suite best?

Finally - do you know if the gasket, phase plug and grid for the insects – are all these 81h features fully compatible with 82H driver as well?

Your feedback is highly appreciated.
Thank you

Seems you had exactly the same idea as I (even the same exact crossover points) but 4 years sooner (I only just got a pair of Khorn clones a year ago). I'm too lazy to go through the whole thread right now so I'm going to cut through the chase: have you got anywhere with it?

After searching high and low for a suitable driver, I have given up. The only thing I could consider fitting my requirements would be a modified LaScala bass horn. The problem with the LaScalla /Belle bass horn is that it won't fit above the Khorn - it will just look ugly - but that's the only thing that fits the specs and - most importantly - shares the same driver with the Khorn. If it could somehow be adapted into something fitting in a corner, then it would be perfect (probably a lot harder than it sounds).

My specs require that the driver should be nothing fancy or expensive and on par with the rest in the existing system (else I would have to upgrade the rest of the drivers in the Khorn). My Khorn clone sports a CTS ceramic magnet woofer (very cheap) and an Atlas alnico midrange compression driver (not the expensive version, the one without the tabs and with the spring connection terminals instead).

My search for a suitable compression driver came up with zilch. The closest I got to was a new Celestion neodymium (or was it ceramic?) driver but even that has a higher low limit in the response (I think something like 250-300Hz) and the crossover point is even higher. It's probably quite expensive too.

As I've given up for now, I'm thinking of stacking a pair of Quads on top of the Khorn just as an experiment. I would be multi-amping so setting the levels would not be an issue.

I'm looking for a midbass horn that can operate in the area of approximately 80-600 Hz. I use a Klipsch K-402 top horn, crossed at 500 Hz at the moment. I would like to match its directivity (90 h x 60 v). I have several JBL 2226 in bass reflex' for the lowest frequencies and use active cross over.

I need some basic information on the cons and pros of different horn profiles for this usage and what people would recommend.

Corner horn is not an option by the way. Free standing only. Having a horn that's a little bigger then K-402 is fine.

Last edited:
Seems you had exactly the same idea as I (even the same exact crossover points) but 4 years sooner (I only just got a pair of Khorn clones a year ago). I'm too lazy to go through the whole thread right now so I'm going to cut through the chase: have you got anywhere with it?
Yes. I had a midbass developed myself. However, it's a commercial project and I put it on hold till I have developed a top horn as well. The goal of the top horn is improve upon the Klipsch K-402 horn, something I'm confident we can do. Don Keele is helping with the design. It might become a new horn type; to my knowledge what we're looking at hasn't been done before.

Here are some pictures of the midbass horn I had built some years ago. It measured (the polar) very well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

With the Klipsch K-402:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 90 grader (Medium).JPG
    90 grader (Medium).JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 849
  • 45 grader (Medium).JPG
    45 grader (Medium).JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 842
  • Midbass horn and Klipsch 001 (Medium).JPG
    Midbass horn and Klipsch 001 (Medium).JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 602
Hi Omholt,

The midbass horn look fantastic!

Two questions that I hope you will be able to answer:

1. Do you have any ideas about the proximate price a pair of the midbass horns incl. the new 15" driver?

2. Which compression driver are you working on for the improved K-402?

Thanks!

Best regards
Peter

Yes. I had a midbass developed myself. However, it's a commercial project and I put it on hold till I have developed a top horn as well. The goal of the top horn is improve upon the Klipsch K-402 horn, something I'm confident we can do. Don Keele is helping with the design. It might become a new horn type; to my knowledge what we're looking at hasn't been done before.

Here are some pictures of the midbass horn I had built some years ago. It measured (the polar) very well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

With the Klipsch K-402:
attachment.php

Hi Omholt,

The midbass horn look fantastic!

Two questions that I hope you will be able to answer:

1. Do you have any ideas about the proximate price a pair of the midbass horns incl. the new 15" driver?

2. Which compression driver are you working on for the improved K-402?

Thanks!

Best regards
Peter
Thank you. It's simply plywood that has been painted.

1. One of the reasons I didn't put it into production is because the price of building it in thick and quality material. It cost a lot due to the horn being both very big and asymmetric. I didn't see a market for it for DIY people. So that's why I moved on towards a complete horn speaker. However, I'm open to sell the midbass horn separately but expect a high price. Perhaps some early adopters/conceivers could be given a discount in return for pre-ordering. That would help us set it into production. But it will be quite expensive either way, especially with a high quality finish.
Most likely it will be sold with a new 15" driver from Acoustic Elegance. The midbass horn in the picture might be adjusted some by the way.

2. I will start by using Radian 951BePB but also plan to experiment with at least another driver.
Lyd & Akustikk | Radian 951PB og 951BePB

I'm using the Radian the 950BePB (with 2" exit) today in the Klipsch horn. I found the Radian driver to sound smoother compared to JBL 2446 with beryllium.