Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms. MoFI 45RPM.

The 80s are back... BETTER than ever. We never had it so good in the 80s. It was **** eating grin ear to ear, foot stomping time... wife and daughter walked by and both were loving it too.

The best way to describe it is for what I didn't hear..

No bloated bass.
No blurred lyrics
No softened rise times
No splashy treble

What I heard

Very low groove noise, actually, no groove noise
Very fast bass, you can hear the drums, the whack followed by the vibration of the skin
The bass guitar
A bunch of instruments all in space and time, in the right place, not over each other
The throatiness of the voice
Clear as a bell percussive metal instruments in the background
The real clear guitar finger picking at the beginning of the song ( WTH??? I thought I knew this song ).

The fun at Money For Nothing. (1)
The sadness at Brothers In Arms.. (2)

I stopped after this... ( I think I will follow on with Michael Jackson's Thriller... no joke, that is one well recorded song... and maybe Prince's Purple Rain )...

At the beginning of the song... there's the soft voice in an atmospheric background and then the drums announce it's 1985 all over again... they used to play this at nightclubs, the only Dire Strait song I can remember in such a place.... and you know why, the beat is fantastic and the lyrics are fun... this is a seriously good song, and this LP and P3 ( and the rest of my system ) really do it great justice...

I want my, I want my MTV
I want my, I want my MTV
I want my, I want my MTV
I want my, I want my MTV

Now look at them yo-yos, that's the way you do it
You play the guitar on the MTV
That ain't working, that's the way you do it
Money for nothing and your chicks for free
Now that ain't working, that's the way you do it
Lemme tell ya, them guys ain't dumb
Maybe get a blister on your little finger
Maybe get a blister on your thumb..

Then it gets really sad.. the lyrics are close miked, you can hear his voice clearly, sad and the guitar is hauntingly ripe, with a hanging on sound with a bit of echo in it... the feeling is of melancholy, as of Things That Could Have Been. Now you might ask, why do I bring such things up? Simple, the set up simply gets out of they way and the music, meaning, feeling, passion all come through clear..

There's so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Now the sun's gone to hell
And the moon riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die

But it's written in the starlight
And every line in your palm
We're fools to make war
On our brothers in arms

Sounds like I'm reviewing the songs huh? The thing is simple... the P3 gets out of the way. With this set up, it just becomes a wire with gain... so whatever is on the record gets into my ears with no audible distortion. Nothing added, nothing subtracted.

Seriously, I want to hear Purple Rain.... tomorrow...

Buy this thing, build it... I'm sooooo lucky to have a pre-production unit... and I haven't even started rolling the OpAmps!

GREAT JOB GUYS.... ALL OF YOU... THANKS

(1) The 80s, when Madonna was a "virgin" and we all had jobs.
(2) What a song... so timely for 2023 when the World is at war everywhere and the Western Warmongers are in power.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
My curser is hovering over the non-existant Buy It Now button... My luck is I'll blink when they show up in the store and be sold out before I can get to it...
Just got Randy's Flex-Reg board. Parts for it on order at Digikey. I'll get the group buy CRCRC kit also so I can complete it as needed. I'm also going to set up a 2018 linestage for a complete Pre-amp.

Reactions: 3 users
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
^ Do you listen to Madonna?

I've stopped actively working in radio station some 15-16-17 years ago

Up to that moment, I was current with popular music, simply due to work

After that, not so ..... and not looking back to be current :rofl:

Though, besides all other things, that gave me (even if I wasn't aware of fact in time) enormous mileage of critical listening, especially aware of importance of voice recordings (later using as evaluation tool); as detail - we tried hard to not use anything compressed even if we got early to use PC in production process

Not to mention a fact that I can even today, even if sleeping, prepare LP tune in position on deck and reel tape in RtR, almost as fast as in heyday

that was, not so short, Madonna is in my "popular music" basket, which is more or less lost for me

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Socketed ICs serve a second purpose too. They allow nervous builders to immediately answer the paranoid question "uhhh, maybe the problem is a bad chip????" during an especially frustrating debugging / troubleshooting session when nothing goes right. Sometimes knowing what the problem is NOT, turns out to be helpful to your psyche and your befuddled thought process.

If you have a >5 percent inkling / suspicion / ridiculous hope that "maybe the problem is a bad chip", just swap a brand new fresh virgin chip into the socket and discover: DOES THE PROBLEM GO AWAY (OR EVEN CHANGE)? If not then you can forget about the chip and focus your attention elsewhere.

Reactions: 6 users
Pearl 3 Power Supply Parts Kit Group Buy Announcement

For those of you planning to order a Pearl 3 kit, I'm offering a group buy for a power supply parts kit to help your build.

I don't know exactly when the Pearl 3 kits will be available in the store, so I took a guess on the date for the Group Buy. See the thread linked below and add your name if interested.

For clarity - the kit you see in Post #985 contains the Pearl 3 PCB's, Power Supply PCB, and Pearl 3 board stuffings. This group buy is for the power supply board stuffings including transformer, resistors, caps, bridges, LEDs, and terminal blocks. This power supply works for 120VAC and 240VAC.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/gb-pearl-3-phono-crcrc-power-supply-parts-kit.406461/

Hi,

Could I use this P.S. kit for a Pearl II by substituting the transformer appropriately?

Thanks,

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I've stopped actively working in radio station some 15-16-17 years ago

Up to that moment, I was current with popular music, simply due to work

After that, not so ..... and not looking back to be current :rofl:

Though, besides all other things, that gave me (even if I wasn't aware of fact in time) enormous mileage of critical listening, especially aware of importance of voice recordings (later using as evaluation tool); as detail - we tried hard to not use anything compressed even if we got early to use PC in production process

Not to mention a fact that I can even today, even if sleeping, prepare LP tune in position on deck and reel tape in RtR, almost as fast as in heyday

that was, not so short, Madonna is in my "popular music" basket, which is more or less lost for me

I think you missed the point of my question.

In the 80s, Madonna was beyond hot and her singing was awesome... Motley Crew was hair band fun, Zappa was alive, U2 was relevant, The Go Gos made it great to live in SoCal.. popular music had not yet been overtaken by rap and all that cr@p with 2 db dynamic range. MTV still played music videos.

My young wife did great dancing American Bandstand style... while Yours Truly could do it AB, Lounge Lizard, Motown and Soul Train.... "hey babe... let's dance".. "I love your nails, what's your sign again?".

I used to wear Lacoste polo shirts, Levi's and Hush Puppies to the punk bars.... The true punk in a sea of conformist punks.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I did replied exactly

Madonna is now (for long time already) in my "pop music" basket, which I even don't know where is buried

and, even when Madonna was all the rage and beyond hot, I was already deep in jazz listening, not even counting Prog and everything else I started actively listening 40yrs ago

what Madonnas and Michaels of this world can be, comparing to wast ocean of Jazz (etc.)?

not even counting a fact that there were days of Madonna (or Michael or whoever) were Hit of the Day and I personally had to play it each hour of shift :rofl:

there are so many Genial things around (be it music, literature,movies,theater...) it's simply waste of time investing in anything less than Genial

of course, personal preferences applied, so - short answer - Madonna and rest of pinnacle of Pop Music newer was my Game

gimme 10min of any Furtwängler conducted score instead of Life Achievement of any Pop Star

anyday, anytime

edit: and gimme any album of Outlaws (for instance) instead of everything Motley Crew

still not even at first sip of morning coffee so I'm really trying to stay polite, even thinking of glitter whatever called "rock"

harooomph

Last edited:
When on the subject of vinyl with a actual diamond slowly, slowly actually grinding the plastic away, making an even deeper circular groove.

So. Just. Lets lean back and fully enjoy this classic Madonna remix:

Into the Groove!

I have even got it on original Vinyl from way back in the days. 🎺🙂🎸

IMG_5452.jpeg

IMG_5454.jpeg

The Diamond and the Groove.

Reactions: 3 users
Oops,

When all else fails read the instructions.

Just when the HAKKO 936 was warmed up and ready to go I read the datasheet for the purchased SMD 1uf decoupling capacitors and read "use conductive glue only", as in do not solder.

The little buggers do not like the heat.

Recommendation:

Read the data sheet to confirm that the SMD 1uf decoupling capacitors in hand are suitable for solder.

Thanks DT

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Build doc is now updated to rev 1.0b
This supersedes the document in post #852

Updates include:
  • Higher resolution schematics
  • Clarifications in BOM
  • Clarification in DIP switch settings
  • Improved notes on U1 Bias test & adjustments.

Thanks for the previous commentary in the thread. And once again - thanks to Jim and Greg for the review.

Attachments

• Pearl 3 Phono Build Doc-1.0b.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 542
  • Thank You
Reactions: 13 users