Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

Odd aproach.
Like buying a high performance car, replacing the big brakes with small ones, removing the high performance engine and replacing it with a lower-output motor, then measuring the poorer performance, and documenting it on the internet.
Might be more useful to the project to measure with the preamp and power supply built as designed, but measuring the differences with the range of different components suggested in the design - JFETs, op amps, etc.

I will look for the Kleintool for the small gauge wires.
I also have some of the "Katapult type" strippers. In my case those are vintage Belzer tools (German).
The one which takes smallest gauges shown at picture. Maybe those exist for even smaller gauges.
The dedicated WW-tool I have is for AWG24 only but also exists for AWG30 and can be purchased new. But they don't give them away as gifts. Same applies for this Erem (Weller) tool which I have considered to have as "Christmas gift":
https://www.weller-tools.com/us/en/precision-tools/products/pliers/552s

The Klein-tool is a bit more price-friendly and ZM's approach.

Attachments

• DSC_4374.JPG
    DSC_4374.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_4372.JPG
    DSC_4372.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_4375.JPG
    DSC_4375.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_4376.JPG
    DSC_4376.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 43
@MEPER
Lots of people seem to use light tightly-twisted-pair wiring that resembles pairs from CAT Ethernet cables.
Twisted seems logical.
Back in the old days I had some foil-shielded twisted pair cabling by Belden -- 8451. it had stranded tinned copper conductors, polypropylene insulation and a bare drain wire. A reasonable configuration.

Reactions: 1 user
Odd aproach.
Like buying a high performance car, replacing the big brakes with small ones, removing the high performance engine and replacing it with a lower-output motor, then measuring the poorer performance, and documenting it on the internet.
Might be more useful to the project to measure with the preamp and power supply built as designed, but measuring the differences with the range of different components suggested in the design - JFETs, op amps, etc.

Odd that you should take exception.

Using the experimental modules on the bench allows holding some variables constant while isolating other to observe their performance.

See the 1st Stage breadboard photo below.

Note that the capacitors can be quickly swapped out for others. The current through the breadboard can readily be changed by swapping out the load resistor. Also note that the Bipolar Junction Transistors can also easily be swapped out. I now have data for several NPN's.

The output stage breadboard will allow swapping Q9 and R27 in search of a distortion / noise sweet spot.

I do this for fun. Props to @wayne .

1st Stage.png

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Simulating with solder I like that. I just have an old AP system one here, the new 500 series is at the factory so FFT isn't available currently.

Given a gain of 90 dB on the low frequencies and may 10 dB on a pre coupled with 30dB on a power amp and you have a gain of over three million at the bottom end.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
EDIT: This guide has been superseded by ver1.0b, see post #1020 https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/pearl-3-burning-amp-2023.404054/post-7533872

See the attached Pearl 3 Build Document.

This will be something that goes along with the illustrated, step-by-step build guide that Jim "6L6" is currently preparing.

Thanks again to Wayne for this design and the technical input on this document! Thank you to Jim and Greg "GKTAUDIO" for the collaboration and review of this document!!!

Attachments

• Pearl 3 Phono Build Doc-1.0a.pdf
    994.2 KB · Views: 318
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 14 users
See the attached Pearl 3 Build Document.

This will be something that goes along with the illustrated, step-by-step build guide that Jim "6L6" is currently preparing.

Thanks again to Wayne for this design and the technical input on this document! Thank you to Jim and Greg "GKTAUDIO" for the collaboration and review of this document!!!
This really great. With a document like this I may be able to build this thing without doing too much damage to myself or the Northeast US Power Grid.

I continue to learn from all of you every day. And I'm having fun too!

Yep. That was me. A little problem with trying to run a dynaco st-70 by attaching it to the third rail of the #2 train. But there was a benefit when the bars all realized their power was out so they started selling beers at 1/2 price. Good times in the Village... Just don't let on you know whom it was. I have a respectable job now...:p