PCM1704 or newer chips?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
as for me, Im not buying it :(
I cant even imagine how the alpa "de ringing" works. I tought its about SM5845 filter trying to look below noise floor :D

http://src.infinitewave.ca/

look, these are the algorithms they use during recording phase. The one called Izotope is used most, 96khz -> 44.1 downconversion rings .

as for "slow / fast " roll-offs / tradeoffs :D , I like this opinion:

http://www.ayre.com/PDF/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf

That impulse waveform was play back TEST CD

My question.

This impulse was playing TEST CD not Music CD.
I think Music CD was made by A/D Converter with pre-filtering.
If we can impulse waveform by A/D Converter unit.
Does that inpulse wavefome add ringing, because pre-filtering process?

>http://www.ayre.com/PDF/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf

That impulse looks like threw IIR filter, looks like first generation CDP with non FIR DF, with heavy analog LPF.
Many NOS DAC freeks don't like analog LPF for good interpolation, but NOS DACs have terirble high frequency waveform.
And the people who thinking DF technic is nice for get low order analog LPF, also they don't like high order analog LPF.
For such a reason, there are few people, like 13th order heavy analog LPF sound .

It is a question here.

How do you think about Ayre's IIR filtering with digital domain?
I remember AIWA portable CD had IIR digital filter like Ayre's.

Re: Analog LPF when we use 8fs DF DF1706 and 96kHz DIR DIR9001.

nagaesan said:
You choiced 2nd order bessel analog filter. And rudee choiced 4th order. Now, many CD player manufactures choice 3rd order analog LPF with 8fs DF.

I imagine why rudee choice 4th order LPF, that he used DIR9001, this is OK fs=96kHz. If this passband are 40kHz when 96kHz source, cutoff frequency is over 60kHz or 80kHz.

I think that there are various opinions, how far should suppress the 352.8kHz image noise, but when we should think about LPF, it is necessary to think in a partial part.
Hello nagaesan,
I chose 4th order analog filter since the goal is act like a true brick wall filter. My analog filter is a butterworth with Fc of 50Khz. This gives about .04dB of attenuation at 20Khz (negligible) with very small phase shift relative to a Bessel ( linear phase ) at this frequency. At 332.8Khz the response is -65dB. More attenuation here is theoretically better to remove the sampling artifacts that were not in the original source recording.
So far I have only considerd 44.1K sample rate audio CD, but I think the filter would be the same for 48 or 96Khz.

It is true that many DAC manufacturers recommend a 2nd or 3rd order filter after the DAC. Maybe for cost reduction ? I have also seen up to 8th order Bessel filters recommended in "high end" application notes. Provided the op-amps used have enough open loop gain to work properly at 8xFs (352Khz ), I would think there is no problem.

I have added some additional bench test data here
http://home.comcast.net/~saudiodac24/site/ ( link at bottom ) showing the output of the I-V converter as well as analog filter output. Do you have similiar plots for your design ? I also see no 20Khz modulation at the filtered output using DF1706 in 8x mode ( sharp roll off ).

AttackKing sound --> Slow Rolloff mode

This is a catalogue of DENON DCD-SA11 with slow and sharp rolloff automatic changing new ALPHA system.

I read this figure, DENON seems like to choice slow rolloff if play back attackking sound like attack hi-hats.
I don't understand why they don't choice sharp rolloff that good high frequency responce.

And my biggest suffering is, does not a problem occur even if changing rolloff curve of long TAP FIR filter, when playback music.

Attachments

• al2.jpg
    al2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 691
Pre-filtering curve of UpSampler

tritosine,

If fs=44.1kHz data to fs=192kHz upsampling, using FIR filter interpolation. When this process, we must pre-filtering for prevent aliasing noise.

In this upsampling process, do not you think of impulse data was band limitting looks like 4.35fs over sampling DF?
I think in this system, it is not problem if you choice 2nd order analog LPF.

Transversal summed multiport analog delayline DAC

Hell rudeesan, I clealy understood why you choice 4th order analog LPF. Thank you.

But many people wants to "No Analog Filter" or "more low order LPF". Because precision analog LPF needs precision circuit with precision device like 0.1%register and cap. It needs high cost than high speed sampling oversampling digital technology.

Now my opinion is "need low order LPF but don't using fs conversion"

There are many method of low order analog LPF, one is oversampling or upsampling, and second one is like WADIA's.
So I think that WADIA's patented "64fs Over Sampling" Transversal summed multiport analog delayline DAC is very nice idea.
Using 4DAC/ch, input data 16fs using delay line, to 64fs with moving averaging filter. This method, analog LPF devices are not necessary.

How do you think about WADIA's Transversal summed multiport analog delayline DAC?

4 or 2 times the DAC chips is not exactly a cheap way to implement a low pass filter:) I think they also did it because of glitch. Now they use only 2 dac last time I saw (2x pcm1702 inherently glitch proof ) .

Can we average out DC offset somehow? Now that would be something :)

// On the low ringing filter I simulate here: I retract my comment "leakage looks bad", Its Very-Very program dependent... Im averaging some more now I even had some HF artifacts in my first file :D //

Re: That impulse waveform was play back TEST CD

nagaesan said:

>http://www.ayre.com/PDF/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf

That impulse looks like threw IIR filter, looks like first generation CDP with non FIR DF, with heavy analog LPF.

Ayre CDs are supposed to sound good, but I have never auditioned one.
I think the lower end model uses BB pcm1792, one or two chips, same as the Weiss Minerva/DAC2 converters.

Many NOS DAC freeks don't like analog LPF for good interpolation, but NOS DACs have terirble high frequency waveform.

Me being one of them. I really dont like analog filters after the D/A conversion.
This is why I'm pursuing to find the "best" digital (read software) oversampling algorithm.

How do you think about Ayre's IIR filtering with digital domain?

Wish I could listen to it (no distributor in italy), but I probably won't like it ;)

Re: Transversal summed multiport analog delayline DAC

nagaesan said:
There are many method of low order analog LPF, one is oversampling or upsampling, and second one is like WADIA's.
So I think that WADIA's patented "64fs Over Sampling" Transversal summed multiport analog delayline DAC is very nice idea.
Using 4DAC/ch, input data 16fs using delay line, to 64fs with moving averaging filter. This method, analog LPF devices are not necessary.

How do you think about WADIA's Transversal summed multiport analog delayline DAC?

They called it time-delayed something, but it looks like linear interpolation (and they have a patent somewhere).

Well, on principle, I like it very much. Wadia 9 series (which uses 8 mono dacs per channel) lacked a transport to be paired with, so it wont be easy to audition it at its best.

United States Patent 5075880

Hi! tritosine

This is the US Patent of WADIA's (Using Moving Averaged filter) DAC. They called this Transversal summed multiport analog delayline DAC
United States Patent 5075880
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5075880.html

Several time, I met WADIA people 1995 - 2001 with Japanese importer AXIS people.
Then I introduced them, a certain Japanese maker imitated WADAI's patented "Transversal summed multiport analog delayline DAC".
And also I introduced them, "But in JAPAN, the patent holder of this method is PANASONIC".

schiller said:
Hi to everyone, i am considering building a 24/96 capable DAC.
I am not an expert in digital circuits, but if memory serves, back in the late 90s, everyone stated that R2R dacs are - technically speaking- superior to Delta-sigma designs.

Almost every expensive player-dac back then, used multibit dacs (exept from meridian, i think).

In the last 5 years, i have not seen a new chip of this sort, every new design is some kind of bit-stream architecture (i am aware of the difficulty and cost to built a good R2R dac).

Is the built of a DF1704/06 --> PCM1704 worth the extra effort (boards almost immposible to obtain-have to make my own) and cost?

For me, even small impovements in perfomance justify the cost/trouble overhead, but are the PCM1704 really (measurable) superior to newest Delta-sigma like PCM1794, wolfson, AKM designs (all other things considered equal, e.g best possible supllies, clocking, e.t.c for the chip of choice) ?

I am not talking about "sound", just about measuring better in the lab. I just want to have a top-notch piece of equipment.

Every answer from the digital experts hier would be much appreciated.

Greetings from Athens (Greece)

Konstantinos

P.S

Is it true, that Delta/sigma is inherently flawed, because it is impossible to operate at such a high clocking frequency, to fully compensate for the truncation of the 16-24 bits to just one?
Unfortunately i don't remeber where i found this statment, it is long ago..

In terms of _measured_ performance, the newer delta sigma dacs are going to give you better performance in most of the standard sorts of tests (e.g. unitone or duotone systems where you're measuring basic HD/IMD performance). It's considerably easier to get <-100dB THD+N with a PCM1794 than it is a PCM1704 for the common 20-20KHz 22KBW test, though it can be accomplished with both (at least, I've been able to with the PCM1704). For more music-centric tests like a complex multitone system, I've gotten mixed results but I guess I favour the distribution of products I get out of the PCM1704. In terms of subjective performance, I prefer the 1704 to pretty much anything, although the Sabre looks like it might be a promising alternative.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.