PCB: low voltage On-Off switch drives AC mains relay \ includes soft start .. H9KPXG

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I am thinking about getting the board, but since I am using switching PSU from Connex electronics I don't think that I need the soft start feature.
I want to add power button to my build though.
Thinking about this guy here - 612-PV6FW40SS-331 by E-Switch.
Will the board presented in the first post be overkill for my needs?
I am not opposed to putting together something simple using small switching 5V PSU and relay to control on and off for the mains.
Thanks in advance for help.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of setting up a soft start circuit and I want to double-check my toroidal transformer wiring. I've attached two pictures for reference. The label and the wires. I'm using two toroids in double mono configuration. I'm connecting the green/yellow wires of both toroids to the inlet Earth/Chassis. As for the 230 primaries, I'm connecting four red wires in parallel to P1D and P2N. I'm mostly unsure about the green/yellow wires. Is this the correct way to connect them to the inlet Earth/Chassis and both transformers with a soft start circuit? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 108
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Solder a jumper in position 230V. Leave positions 115V in their virgin, unstuffed and unsoldered condition

Red wires of transformer_left connect to P1D and P2N

Red wires of transformer_right connect to P1D and P2N

Green/yellow wire of transformer_left connects to chassis earth

Green/yellow wire of transformer_right connects to chassis earth

Reactions: 1 user
I know this was designed for the purpose of a soft start for a power amp, but could it be used for any DAC or preamp project to use the anti vandal front switches? I know the need for a soft start is not there. Some of my projects will be using 2 or more transformers, would this be a problem connecting to the PCB? I could use terminal strips to make it work.

@wcwc

If your goal is to just use the anti vandal switches there are other diy circuits available to do so, such as the AMB epsilon 24 power switch driver circuit. It’s much more compact and does not have a soft start feature, but can be built with an optional relay (which can be sized appropriately) for low current circuits, such as DACs, preamps, etc….

I’ll have a few for sale in the future as I remove them from some of my older power amp builds and replace them since my older power amp builds didn’t have a thermistor (i.e. softstart) and they really should to ensure the longevity of the power transformer. My general recommendation has been that if the circuit (typically a power amp) requires 300VA or more, one should use a soft start to minimize the risk of having the primary short to the transformer core after several years of use.

Best,
Anand.

For low-power devices, I use a diagram in the figure with a polarized RPS-20 relay (РПС-20 soviet relay), adding a simple filter to it. The button is needed without fixing with contacts for switching.

Attachments

• РПС-20 On-Off.jpg
    РПС-20 On-Off.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 0040556423542.jpeg
    0040556423542.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 100
Joined 2022
Paid Member
My H9KPXG arrives today. I'm using the DIY universal PSU in a dual mono. I've read all the posts in this thread and still want to double check how I wire this in. Attached is what I think I've learned. Does this look right?
Also I have this set as as dual fused. Is there a way to keep this and still use just just one H9KPXG-- like fusing the P1n and P2n wires?

Sorry in advance
IMG_0634.jpg
for such a boring, low level question, I just hate smoke, though