Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!

A 1st order high pass at anywhere from 10 to 20K is a practical option to use to counteract the mass rolloff.

mainframe99's thread under his ASR handle might be useful, there is some discussion of the crossover topology there. Using the SB26 and Augerpro's waveguide
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/revel-m105-copy-diy-build.29465/

@Pida website has lots of designs with waveguides and crossovers posted, his design threads here have good information on the crossovers.
https://pkaudio.webnode.cz/
Just a reaction while fiddling with crossover for waveguide tweeter, the reduction in energy applied to the tweeter is significant! Must be very audible , hmmm , interesting;-)

Attachments

• 20230402_152323.jpg
    20230402_152323.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 62
@Boden - I have a set of XT25s which don't look like the faceplate will detach easily, as they have glue in addition to the 3 screws holding it. I may get the courage to try removing the faceplate and see if that picture i found is accurate for the newest gen XT25.

It is a disposable driver if the VC goes bad, so it can't be repaired when that happens or if I'm not successful at removing the faceplate.

I haven't seen any updates on the AST2560 Waveguide. Any chance the file for it might get uploaded as-is? The plots originally posted look leagues better than what I'm getting from my current setup. I would just modify it to a 170mm square and it would drop right into my cabinets.

I'm trying different rear chamber designs at the moment, so I haven't tried anymore waveguides. I'm going to try a completely different contour when I get back to the waveguides.

Reactions: 1 user
Ordered a pair of 5" WG for the SB26 a few days back and they arrived today.

The material I chose was MJF. The make and color looks good. I chose smooth finish, but still it's a little grainer than what I had expected. An image attached for reference - this is good enough to go, or need smoother for optimum performance?

Attachments

• Augerpro 5inch WG MJF_01.jpg
    Augerpro 5inch WG MJF_01.jpg
    877 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: 2 users
Brandon,

Thanks for your response and positive comments. And of course, thank you for your efforts in getting these WG out to the DIY community. I look forward to buying you a coffee soon. :)

These were printed by Zelta3d of Singapore, and the finish is dyed. I ordered through the Craftcloud platform. Order process was easy, and delivery was quick.

Reactions: 2 users
Great work here.
I'm a total nube in 3D development and printing.
I have very slowly started trying out FreeCAD .... not that easy ... but will probably get there ... complex programs take time, and Iø'm not a mechanical engineer ..

What design tools are you using??

I'm today using a a SB26ADC in a Visaton WG148R, but the fit is not at all optimal, and I would like to use larger WG as well for matching e.g. 6.5" ... would be cool to DIY it

Brandon is correct - MJF is also a nylon like SLS.

What I read is that HP has done a lot of work in standardizing the MJF additive process, and most 3D printing houses are using HP printers and the quality is more uniform from source to source; for SLS it can vary.

The material feels tough, and the slightly grainy finish is also nice to touch. If I had not chosen "smooth" it is likely the grain size would have been a little larger.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Zman01,

thanks for the input, I plan too a 5" brandon's WG when I will be in the front plate design process of my next loudspeaker.

If possible, it would be great if you could do with a smartphone the cutting illustration with the router of the front plate ovoid drilling, please.

I tried CNC machining 5 inch elliptical waveguides. The material is ABS engineering plastic, JLC processing, and the surface is sprayed with matting paint.

I tested the horizontal off-axis response. There is a depression at 13kHz on the axial frequency response curve. The rest feels good. Thanks to the author for his enthusiastic sharing!

QQ图片20230407175159.jpg

QQ图片20230407175204.jpg

QQ图片20230407175344.jpg
QQ图片20230407175329.jpg

diyiggy,

I do not want to pollute this thread, but maybe this will be useful for folks who are planning to build speakers using these waveguides.

I plan to make the front baffle in 2 parts - a 6mm outer layer and a 17-18mm inner layer. The 6mm part will probably be laser cut - so I should get a nice and clean cut; it will have the elliptical cut-out for the wave-guide and a circular cut-out for the woofer frame. I am a bit fortunate that both the waveguide outer frame and woofer frame have a similar thickness of ~6mm.

The inner part of the baffle will have the truncated elliptical cut-out for the WG body, and a cut-out for the woofer basket. This will have to be done by router; the truncated ellipse might be done by jig saw, and even if it is not pretty it doesn't matter much, as it will not be visible from the outside.

Then the plan is to glue the inner and outer layers together to form a 24-25mm baffle.

I am planning to a compact stand-mount speaker with 1 mid-bass and a tweeter.