Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!

Thanks for the feedback profiguy. On-axis is a bit hard to see, but if I plotted those of the phase shield vs non-ps, there is a bit of improvement around 10khz with the phase shield. So I make both available. It is nice when the non-ps version is very close to the ps version for people cnc-ing these.

How does the Audax measure on the Jantzen waveguide? That tall dome is concerning.

Thanks for the feedback profiguy. On-axis is a bit hard to see, but if I plotted those of the phase shield vs non-ps, there is a bit of improvement around 10khz with the phase shield. So I make both available. It is nice when the non-ps version is very close to the ps version for people cnc-ing these.

How does the Audax measure on the Jantzen waveguide? That tall dome is concerning.
Yes, the dome profile on the TW034 isn't the best, but the way its dampened helps with this. Troels did that TQWT design with it in the Jantzen WG and he was able to use a fairly simple HP filter to get it flat. The polar response looked pretty good too. I'll try to post some info with this. The Seas T35C002 also fits this WG and is also a great candidate. I have a pair on EAW WGs.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
In my budget the D2604/83000 after the Dibirama measurements is one that attract my eyes for a low cut-off but I have not tried it yet so I don',t know if the face plate is tied with the voice coil or if removable if it is flat.

Audax are challenging cause the Fs is high (1100/1200 hz) but despite slouche back chamber design the thd on some is very low : A28 golded titanium or A20 the magnesium cone option that is maybe even more attractive, said to be smooth yet detailled. But they were made for high cut-offs with the aerogels woofers or mid that climbs highs : 3/4 k hz xo... So Wg could maybe a rediscover of the few good they made.

diyiggy> Yes I believe SS uses the same out diameter for any given nominal size, so it should fit. What does it look like with the faceplate removed? Is it flat?
The R2604-8330 has a curved FP, but its mounted flat like the Peerless XT25.

Attachments

• r2604_8330.jpg
    r2604_8330.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 43
I'm building an active 2 way with a Purifi Ptt6.5X04 NFA01 and was going to use a stock T34b but came across the waveguides and got interested in constant directivity. I have several tweeters at my disposal..what would your choice be.. Bliesma T34b, Satori TW29R-B ring dome, SB21RDC ring dome..or I could buy an SB26ADC or something. I can fit a 6.5" waveguide max.

I'm building an active 2 way with a Purifi Ptt6.5X04 NFA01 and was going to use a stock T34b but came across the waveguides and got interested in constant directivity. I have several tweeters at my disposal..what would your choice be.. Bliesma T34b, Satori TW29R-B ring dome, SB21RDC ring dome..or I could buy an SB26ADC or something. I can fit a 6.5" waveguide max.
Controlled directivity* , and if you have T34B's, the circular 6.5 is looking REAL f'n nice.

I would do circular but due to my removable baffles, the bolts I'm using occupy the same space that the woofer and waveguide would. That makes 6.5" elliptical required. I want to do the t34b honestly, but am slightly concerned about having beryllium exposed or how I would attach the grill to a waveguide, especially an elliptical one.

Has anyone made any of these waveguides into a CNC baffle? I want to use the 8" Waveguide for the SB26ADC with a Faital Pro 8PR200 woofer as seen in the picture below. I can 3D print the waveguide using an online service such as imaterialise, but it's looking around £80 per waveguide. How would I go about integrating the waveguide into a baffle to create a CNC file for the front baffle? I see the waveguide is 1.59" deep so I assume this would require a 1.59" thick baffle for CNC services? Thanks guys.

Attachments

• cnc.png
    cnc.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 42
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
AllenB> I don't think we can make generalizations like that.
We may be in agreement, I'm not sure so I'll address the points.

A default elliptical waveguide is going to be taller than it is wide, so it follows that the horizontal can be additionally extened to make it wider at the mouth. However shortening the vertical for baffle spacing is a different matter.

augerpro said:
Geddes admitted his waveguide would be better on-axis if it were asymmetric.
I suspect you've taken this out of context. Consider these other comments..
most of us don't listen on-axis.
I have done this and the square mouth does smear the diffraction, but it does not reduce it. Only a larger round-over will actually reduce the total energy. It is unclear to me if a smeared diffraction is less offensive than a non-smeared one, but lower total energy certainly is.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Normally I would say no, but MTM does have issues that force you to make difficult decisions.
Yeah, bumer. I had to for reaching 91/92 db sensiviry in the mid with a low efficienty driver I wanted to work with... So MTM a constraint not a desire here.
I just wonder if the tweet or horn should also need that pinched vertical directivity to works well with the two M. If yes a planar or an elleptical give narrower vertical directivity.

Last edited: