Open source Waveguides for CNC & 3D printing!

Hello augerpro, hello all,

I would like to thank you for your work and effort and for openly sharing your results with us here.

I built a closed two way speaker using his 6" waveguide for the SB26CDC tweeter together with the Dayton Audio RS180 Woofer. (In Listening room supported with DBA) The waveguide was printed in ABS and glued with expoxy into the baffle and then painted.

Attached are some pictures and measurements of prototypes.

- SB26CDC without waveguide/ SB26CDC with waveguide (Baffle 30cm x 42cm)

- SB26CDC with waveguide in rectangular baffle / SB26CDC with waveguide in rounded baffle. (Baffle 26cm x 36cm)

Measuring distance 1 meter Horizontal 0-90° degrees (gated)
(Measuring microphone not level calibrated during measurements).

Thanks again and keep up the great work.

Christoph from Germany

Attachments

• a01_without_waveguide.jpg
    a01_without_waveguide.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 250
  • a02_with_waveguid6.jpg
    a02_with_waveguid6.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 234
  • b01_baffle_rectangular.jpg
    b01_baffle_rectangular.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 235
  • b02_baffle_rounded.jpg
    b02_baffle_rounded.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 261
  • 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 285
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 243
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 239
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 262
Reactions: 12 users
Ordered a pair of 5" WG for the SB26 a few days back and they arrived today.

The material I chose was MJF. The make and color looks good. I chose smooth finish, but still it's a little grainer than what I had expected. An image attached for reference - this is good enough to go, or need smoother for optimum performance?

Craftcloud also offers something called High Detail Resin, which looks smoother than MJF. The claimed resolution is +-0.1% with a lower limit of +-0.15mm, whereas MJF has a resolution of 0.3% +-0.3mm. The Finish Details listing for HDR shows it's not very flexible compared with MJF, which might actually be a feature. Augerpro, zman1, what do you think?

Joined 2018
Paid Member
First one will be TM, using SB17CAC. Once this proof-of-concept is finished, the other variants will created.

Not sure what you mean about a livestream with Erin, no current plans for that. He just had an interest in playing with waveguides, so he's trying mine.

Is the SB17CAC suitable for a transmission line enclosure?

Will you use the 4 or 8 ohm version?

Are you concerned about the xmax limitation Erin observed?

Yeah I guess if the deepest bass is a priority from a TM, and you won't use any subs, the 8 ohm might make the most sense. I'm going sealed, and accept that a TM is only going to have so much bass. And the music I listen to doesn't seem to need the deepest bass. I do have two subs I'm building too. Subjectively, these SBs sound like they dig very deep compared to most others I've compared them to.

Reactions: 1 user
I tested the horizontal off-axis response. There is a depression at 13kHz on the axial frequency response curve. The rest feels good. Thanks to the author for his enthusiastic sharing!

View attachment 1162228
View attachment 1162229
View attachment 1162230 View attachment 1162231
The depression getting better moving off axis is likely due to a phase shift between the tip and surround of the dome on axis. The solution is often to cover the tweeter surround half way.

Does $250-350 for a pair of 6.5" elliptical waveguides printed in SLS nylon sound like the typical going price? Can these be printed in PLA+ with good results? I'd almost rather invest the $350 in a new Bambu P1P($699), then I can print whatever I want, just paying for filament. But if PLA waveguides suck then it won't do me much good