Official M2 schematic

Thank you Zen for the info!

I mean - writing in bold and big font , pretty much the same as shouting :rofl:

of FW format amps , I can think of bridged F4 ( which means two regular stereo ones driven with balanced signal) , F5 Turbo (iteration you're ready for) , damn big BA3 ...... maybe you could even like amp from recent alive thread - AB 100W amp

there is slight possibility that Babelfish M25's 50W/4R could make some difference , counting on fact that 40W of these is in A class , but I can't guarantee that

so ..... build and try

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I've nearly finished this amp (only front and lid remaining). It sounds great! :p

Thank you Papa for making it available (and Tea-Bag for making the job easy for me providing the PCBs and Edcors).

Just for fun, below is the distortion when providing 5V into 8 Ohms. Only left channel shown but the two channels are remarkably alike.

It will not be my last DIY power amp :D.

Attachments

• Distortion M2.jpg
    Distortion M2.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 727
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I used an HP8903B audio analyzer: File:HP8903B audio analyzer.jpg - Wikipedia

Clipping 1% distortion at 1kHz into 8Ohm is at 2.95V input level for my amp, Nelson states 3V, so close enough in that respect.

The slightly above 1% distortion at 20kHz and >3 watts shouldn't alarm anyone. If you dissipate that power level at 20kHz in any speaker I can think of, at least I have left the room.

With the M2 clone, I hear details of my recordings i didn't hear before, served in a very pleasant way.

Sorry for my english. I used google translate.
I am trying to start clone M2 one channel separately first. Power supply is on JeffYoungs decoupled stereo pcb. Connection of the power supply itself and everything ok . It's approx. +/- 23 VDC on the output. After connecting m2 by light bulb on the primary winding the transformer it turns on for a second, goes out and then after a long moment begins to light up slowly and no longer goes off. I checked the voltage through resistor R13 and R14. It rises from 0 to 0.48V exactly at the same time as the light bulb shines and the supply voltage drops. Something is wrong but I don't know what should I check. All resistors are checked.
That's my wiring View attachment 778763

Joined 2011
Paid Member
My M2x draws 125 watts from the AC mains. That's the "equilibrium" value after turn-on and warmup, 5 minutes after flipping the power switch. I measured that number using a cheap "Kill A Watt" meter I bought from Amazon for $21.

That's enough current to light the bulb of my dim-bulb tester. So, in equilibrium, the dim bulb tester is not dark. It is lit.

_

Attachments

• M2_dimbulb.png
    M2_dimbulb.png
    27 KB · Views: 1,287
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi darrr,

the behaviour you describe is exactly what we expect from an M2, as Mark, Jeff and 6L6 already wrote. I would go ahead with Zen Mod's suggestion of starting the amp channel without light bulb tester, but with the multimeters connected as Zen Mod described.

Regards, Claas

This is my first such a big diy project and thank you all very much for help. The good news is that both channels seem to work well. Bad , that I unfortunately damaged 1pcs sj74 and maybe sk170. It hurts.... I measured the values ​​according to those in the attached drawing point(I don't have high quality DMM):
A = 78.5 / 78.7 mV
B = -75.5 / -69.5 mV
C = 3.4 / 4mV
Voltages through R13 / 14 are 0.610V offset was successfully set to 0
Voltages on opto legs:
1-2 = 1V
4-5 = 9.5V
Voltages on rail +/- 22V .
It takes 50 seconds from turning on until the current begins to flow by R14 / R13. Is there anything else I should check? If not, I can already collect money for chassis from modushop [emoji846] tapatalk_1567361535745.jpg

Last edited: