Non Oversampling DAC-complementing CD-PRO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re-clocking supply

Question:

I am going to implement a re-clocker using 74VHC74 flip-flops. a dual set for the 3 signal/clock lines.

should I use a seperate supply on each line?

implemented using 3 LM431's?

And should these supplies just be taken off the main digital supply for the CS8412?

Thanks!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I guess I was too fast raving about BG. When compared to really good film caps they still lack refinement and detail and easyness of presentation. Here, I'm using 3uF MIT RTX caps paralleled with 0.022 silver foil caps and they are much better than BG (but the BG are not broken in, MITs are). But look at the size and price (10x more ?).

Apples and pears, Peter ? ;)

Help please I am loosing it

I have just more or less finished my TDA 1543 (4x) DAC. As output coupler capacitors I have used 2 pieces BG-N 4,7uF (non-polar) anti-parallel (per channel).
To my "surprise" I measure on the output of the circuit approx. 4,5 VDC this is behind the capacitors!

When I measure the DC resistance of the BG-N caps they seem to be oke. I do not measure any AC on the output so I assume it is not oscillation.

How is this possible?

Peter

BTW: I will use the DAC with I2S only, during the measurement the I2S input was not connected.

DC-offset

Hi Peter K,
When you don't connect a resistor or pot to Vref of the TDA1543 the chip will output some 6.5 to 6.8V DC even when you connenct Vref to the non-inverting input of the opamp as in the datasheet. (currentoutput of the DAC to inverting input). For this reason I did not dare to try the Blackgates here I got from Jean-Paul as these are rated 6.3V.
You can trim the DC voltage down to about 50mV with a pot at Vref but I found the sound less good this way.
I did not try the passive conversion scheme so I don't know the offset in that configuration. Anyway make sure your caps can handle the DC voltage.;)

Hi Elso,

Thanks for your input.

I have used the TNT Convertus diagram. http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/convertus3_e.html

At the Vref I have used 330 Ohm, I measure 2,2VDC on this pin. On the outputs of the TDA1543 I have 4,7VDC.

The BG-N type that I used are 50 V types. I suppose this gives me enough margin. The strange thing is that the capacitors seems to be oke (as far as I can test them) but act as sort of shortcut. I loose only approx. 0,7 VDC from in to output.

Is it possible that I have burned them during soldering. Or might it be the anti-parallel connection?

Peter

Re: Re-clocking supply

RichardJones said:
Question:

I am going to implement a re-clocker using 74VHC74 flip-flops. a dual set for the 3 signal/clock lines.

should I use a seperate supply on each line?

implemented using 3 LM431's?

And should these supplies just be taken off the main digital supply for the CS8412?

Thanks!

Hi Richard,
Of course you can use a separate regulator for every supply pin of each IC. This approach was used by Pieter Treurniet in his DAC (CS8412/PCM63K/silverwire trannies)
If you use TL431's or 780x's or LM317's in TO-92 case this is quite do-able.
In my ASR I only separated the supply of the flip-fliops from the oscillator by a ferrite bead. Currently I am using a dedicated supply for the ASR simply because the CS8412 is no longer used and not connected to the supply. I noticed a slight detoration in sound when I used the +5V from the players supply. I do not hear much difference between a supply composed of LT1086 with bypassed adjustment pin or a supply composed of TL431 and series pass transistor, BC550C (similar to Cuno's Snoeren circuit.)
;)

lm431

Ok... so looking at the datasheets for the LM431 there is a resistor in series before the shunt regulator. There are no values on this resistor... looking at other schematics... looks like anywhere from 150-300 ohms.

What value should it really be?

For all the bypass caps on the power and ground pins on all the IC's.

Is there a recommended source and values? 33uf/0.33/0.03?

Thanks!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Knowing Your Cap...

Hi,

I will test to shortcut the BG's.

Any cap, when left open ended will develop a voltage at the output given time...

One should always test a circuit under load, not just float it open ended...

So use a load, a resistor or a bulb, doesn't matter what but any measurement taken without a load is meaningless.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul,

Apples and pears, Peter ?

Still a big fan of the Black Garbage?:clown:

Trouble with the BGs is that they can't sing unless they're run in for ages...
Not that the Beegees could sing... :devily:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
For this reason I did not dare to try the Blackgates here I got from Jean-Paul as these are rated 6.3V.

IIRC I said in my mail to you they were meant for decoupling the supply lines as they are rated 6.3 V and I understood you run your DAC at 5V too. For output purposes I use N series rated 50 V or MKT.

Still a big fan of the Black Garbage? Trouble with the BGs is that they can't sing unless they're run in for ages...
Not that the Beegees could sing...

Sorry Frank but I really think that only trying them gives right to an opinion. The run in period can be shortened by putting them on a power supply for some weeks as I said before. The qualification "garbage" is more suitable for PIO. Never said BG was sent from heaven but BG N + NX HiQ really is very good but hey it is easier to criticise than to try out isn't it ? You'll never hear me about the other BG series as I did not find them that special soundwise.

BTW I use all brands and types of older and newer caps including OSCON, Silmic, Elna RJH, Panasonic FA/FC,Rubycon, Nippon Chemicon, Wima MKP, ERO MKC ( a favorite ), Siemens MKT, EMZ/NSF Styroflex,Philips KS, Kemet SMD ceramics, BCcomponents electrolytics, LCC film caps, ICEL film caps and Jahre Silver Mica since some time to name a few. So it is not only BG NX that's on my list but I do use them with great satisfaction. Using/trying all available caps broadens ones horizon.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
LOL...

Hi,

Sorry Frank but I really think that only trying them gives right to an opinion.

I did do that recently and from a manufacturing point they're errrr, impossible to use.
Think Peter Daniel will agree...moreover I think the better filmcaps still are the best caps for coupling.

Hey, I was just yanking your chain...;)

The qualification "garbage" is more suitable for PIO that's so adored by tube zealots. Never said BG was sent from heaven but BG NX HiQ really is very good but hey it is easier to criticise than to try out isn't it

Oh, those proclaiming SE amps and PIO caps you mean?
Sorry for those, I've been laughing for ten years already...nice amps can be made but let them stop claiming they found audio nirvana...
Oil cans? Nice way to filter out CD nasties...not really my cupper...

Try using ICEL caps as an affordable alternative and the MIT RTX series for the Nec Plus Ultra coupling cap...if you hear anything wrong, I tell you it will be something else...not the caps.

No offense and NO, I've got nothing against the Beegees...but what takes 'em sooo long to sing?;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I did do that recently and from a manufacturing point they're errrr, impossible to use.

Please explain that one ! Availability ? Price ? Technical merits ? I do have a Rotel preamp that's full of them so it can't be that impossible.

You think that film caps are better but if you tried them I would expect a more detailed story...

Try using ICEL caps as an affordable alternative and the MIT RTX series for the Nec Plus Ultra coupling cap...if you hear anything wrong, I tell you it will be something else...not the caps.

ICEL stock is locked in a safe place and only used in gear that it deserves. MIT RTX is a bit too expensive for me and even if I would have the money I wouldn't spend so much on caps. I prefer a weekend in Brussels for that money ;) You'll have to advise me about the NEC part. Never even heard of it but I am curious as always.

BTW there are more caps that need a firm break in period, even film types.

I also think that 4.7 BG N is a very good choice for a coupling cap. It is only when compared to much bigger and more expensive film alternatives, one can hear a difference. I will still use it in my amps as from their design POV, there is simply no other alternative, (keyword: simplicity);)

For my personal projects, I will either try not to use caps at all, or use bigger and better ones. Since most of the good stuff can be bought second hand now, the price is not an issue here;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Oh dear...

Hi,

Please explain that one ! Availability ? Price ? Technical merits ? I do have a Rotel preamp that's full of them so it can't be that impossible.

Burn in time and the wildly varying results in between.

I do have a Rotel preamp that's full of them so it can't be that impossible.

Yes, and it sounds exactly as Jonathan Carr described it in another thread...
It reminds me of the the Lowther speaker colouration... and I ain't laughing here.

ICEL stock is locked in a safe place and only used in gear that it deserves.

Hey, com'on mate, it's not as if they're all that costly...probably 1/10th of the MITs...and available upto 1200VDC...

You'll have to advise me about the NEC part. Never even heard of it but I am curious as always.

Oh dear... comes in here: Nec plus ultra...ring a bell?

BTW there are more caps that need a firm break in period, even film types.

Fair enough, but nothing as wild as the BGs I'd say?

Cheers and let's all have a drink in Brussels,;)

Koinichiwa,

jean-paul said:

The qualification "garbage" is more suitable for PIO.

We are at last in full agreement. I shall try to nick some of the new Silver & Mylar ANUK Caps (interestingly the ANJ Caps in stuff like the Ongaku, M7/M10 Pre ets are also Silverfoil/Mylar) of Peter Q, if he lets me. So far PIO's generally suck big time.

jean-paul said:

So it is not only BG NX that's on my list but I do use them with great satisfaction. Using/trying all available caps broadens ones horizon.

The BG-NX or NX-HiQ I like very much too (except cost). but most of the times I need Capacitors with a voltage rating way past anything these ones do. And the NH or WK/WKZ BG types for high voltage have yet to convinvce as better than good quality Mylar caps (which are arguably as bad a filmcap you can get).

Like you I figure "Horses for Courses".

Sayonara.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Rc Constant Degoutants...

Hi,

For my personal projects, I will either try not to use caps at all, or use bigger and better ones. Since most of the good stuff can be bought second hand now, the price is not an issue here

Somewhere, somehow you'll end up needing a coupling cap...servos are usually even worse of than caps...if that's what you had in mind.
Oh...and bigger doesn't equate better...seems you Canadians are getting Americanised?

Ciao,;)

Re: Rc Constant Degoutants...

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Somewhere, somehow you'll end up needing a coupling cap...servos are usually even worse of than caps...if that's what you had in mind.
Oh...and bigger doesn't equate better...seems you Canadians are getting Americanised?

Ciao,;)

I agree that a cap may be better than servo and I would usually go for a cap. But other alternative is choosing circuits that don't need coupling caps or just accept few mV of DC offset.

By saying bigger, I had 4.7u BG N cap in mind, which is 5mm x 12mm. Everything that replaces it, IS bigger and I think I preferred it to Hovland which is not bad by audiophile standards and quite much bigger. And here the size plays big role IMO, and sometimes for simplicity and purity of a circuit one might choose a cap which even sonically inferior in some small ways, fits perfectly between other small parts. There is one other thing I didn't try, I still have to skin those red jackets off the caps;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
COMMON SENSE HAS IT...

Hi,

I agree that a cap may be better than servo and I would usually go for a cap. But other alternative is choosing circuits that don't need coupling caps or just accept few mV of DC offset.

Hmmm, that's going to be to one big compromise...and it it ain't going to sound good at all.

As I said: somehow, somewhere...even in an OTL, Peter...;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.