New SBA 8" Full Range driver

I also had a pair of these drivers arrive yesterday from WES components Australia. Currently still showing as in stock but no idea how many they have. Meanwhile I notice that some sound test videos have popped up on youtube:
so I guess they are no longer unobtainium?

Reactions: 1 users
OK so I made a quick measurement of the driver on baffle. Please keep in mind that I have no idea what I am doing here so measurements are in room with no gating. Baffle is 35cm wide and driver is 85cm from floor.
sb20 measurement2.JPG

....sound test videos have popped up on youtube:

Sounds really good. Especially for a recording out in a room. Maybe with direct comparison to the original track the FR driver seems to miss some bass weight and some vocals lack body. Sounds like <300Hz might be rolled off and it might sound good with a woofer filling in. If a woofer is wanted then OB could be nice. Maybe with a good 15" OB woofer eg https://www.sbaudience.com/index.php/products/various-drivers/bianco-15ob350/ ?

Attachments

• 1653819072585.png
    1653819072585.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 1653819247970.png
    1653819247970.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: 1 user
Oh my god... I mixed up the SB65 thread with this new 8" driver.
Well... the lack of sleep finally caught up with me!

Sorry about that.
But indeed, even a lower Qts 8" driver can be very nice with some help, or just working with its limitations.

As I mentioned, it looks very nice in a MLTL, and if wanting to use in OB, it would need woofer support for sure, which would be great to free it from trying to work hard in the lower frequencies.
300Hz should be ok.

I believe it was driver Qts, the understanding of many seems to be that high Qts will give better bass.
Most of the time, true. But there's a sacrifice in distortion that I have trouble living with. YMMV.

I'm not the purist who will preach a single driver only is nirvana. more than one way to achieve good sound.

As for the SB65, you should take them out of the drawer. Give it low end support (300-400Hz XO) and it will surprise you. In my case, I used SBA's racetrack woofers which are also very good. The SB65 is insanely good reproducing strings and percussion. Surreal. Reaches high enough that it doesn't need, in many cases, a tweeter. Unless you have the ears of a 14-year-old! :)

Now, I'd love to get my hands on that new 8" FR, but circumstances being what they are, it won't be this year.