New SBA 8" Full Range driver

Just got my pair today, plonked them in a old box of about 55L with a port tuned to about 39hz.

Initial listening:

A) Harsh/sibilant
B) Very very very good bass, I had a Coral Beta 8 in this enclosure and it certainly beats it hands down.

After some discussion, I put on about 3db of BSC right about 800hz and it fixed most of the harshness and sibilance, so very very happy now.

Still sufficiently efficient to be powered by SETs so, that's great!

Attachments

• IMG_20220713_212146.jpg
    IMG_20220713_212146.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 317
Reactions: 1 users
Working well in TQWT. Haven't found them overly sibilant, especially after some digital room correction. Would recommend, especially for the price. Will try them in a bass reflex enclosure as well. I know, glass table between speakers and listener not good. Also, excuse a 60+ year old man listening to George Michael on vinyl, and drinking red wine out of a duralex coffee glass. What a great hobby we have. Stay safe all!

Attachments

• SB20FRPC30-8.jpg
    SB20FRPC30-8.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 289
Reactions: 3 users
My personal opinion would be that if the size constraints require such a small volume, it would be better to use a closed box and add some subs.
Vented seems allright from about 50 litres to 70 liters, no deep bass but you can use a nice controlled roll off to get a bit of 40hz.

Edit:
Adding the data from SB that most likely pertains to "our" drivers, most vendors post the prototype data which is not likely to be correct.
1658131601915.png

https://sbacoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/8in-SB20FRPC30-8.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the responses guys.
Does it need as much volume as it does, due to it's own size? I ask as I've seen smaller drivers (4-5") being tuned to 50hz in things like the XRK Karlsonators and Dave's Monkens.
Would a different alignment like a TL cut down the volume?
Still in the very newbie stage and I was hoping these guys would be a good budget experiment point.

Thanks for the responses guys.
Does it need as much volume as it does, due to it's own size? I ask as I've seen smaller drivers (4-5") being tuned to 50hz in things like the XRK Karlsonators and Dave's Monkens.
Would a different alignment like a TL cut down the volume?
Still in the very newbie stage and I was hoping these guys would be a good budget experiment point.
The only problem is the Vas.
It is to big.
Small parameters problems.
Needs a bigger box.
Ideal box is 86 litre 30hz-3db

Last edited:
Combination of Vas and Qts. Vas alone gives an indication, but Qts is also very influential.

@Mitch311 it's a 8"driver, it will always require more volume than any compareable 4-5", there are some benefits to a slightly bigger box though, for instance efficiency.
If you choose Alpair 11MS you will get 50hz in a 12 litre box!!

Last edited:
Much to learn! Thank you everyone for your comments and explanations!
So basically if I wanted to lower overall volume, I need to use a smaller driver.

To maintain the extension in that instance, I’d have to accept a lower max spl as the compromise.

From my understanding there would be some middle ground in using a smaller woofer dedicated to low end extension aka WAW. But then we are back to creating crossovers, not as bad as a traditional 2 way, but still a crossover with expensive parts due to the low cross point.

Many things to consider!

From my understanding there would be some middle ground in using a smaller woofer dedicated to low end extension aka WAW. But then we are back to creating crossovers, not as bad as a traditional 2 way, but still a crossover with expensive parts due to the low cross point.
Most plate amps have filters built-in, so if you go that route a small closed box for the tops and a sub or two with plate amp(s) is all you really need. Adjust xo to taste.

I just got a pair of the 8" SB FR and wanted to know is Sealed OK 30 litre cause I will be using peerless xls 10 or the beyma 12br70 left right so a 2.2 system or a ripole ( need to try and experience as sub
Anyone tried SB FR sealed hows the sound. stand alone and with SUB. also can I connect directly to amp witout crossover. I hate making a crossover since i am nottechnical. can try mindsp 2x4HD but if it works direct crossoverless will be great

Minimum effort with perhaps mixed results:
I would advise you to at the very least use some coils for the 12BR70 to reduce higher frequencies/potential for combing effects.

The easy yet still successful route:
Just get basic plate amps with built in crossovers for the bass and you will be fine, especially if you have decided on the closed boxes thing.

I just got a pair of the 8" SB FR and wanted to know is Sealed OK 30 litre cause I will be using peerless xls 10 or the beyma 12br70 left right so a 2.2 system or a ripole ( need to try and experience as sub
Anyone tried SB FR sealed hows the sound. stand alone and with SUB. also can I connect directly to amp witout crossover. I hate making a crossover since i am nottechnical. can try mindsp 2x4HD but if it works direct crossoverless will be great
In open baffle the sb and beyma is a great combo...simple flat baffle ,H or slob too ...have fun