New Mark Audio Pluvia Seven

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Eventhough alpair drivers are not high power devices, their xmax that is in excess of 8mm peak to peak means that there could be an advantage in them having vented pole pieces as this would reduce distortion in low frequency/high excursion scenarios...

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Can I ask something about MA products- why don't they have any venting through the back/magnet?

Vented pole pieces typically have an oil can resonance from the vent that is not helpful for the sonics. I will often block them up in anything that isn't a subwoofer (or a dome tweeter, but i rarely use those)

MA voice coils are vented out the sides of the voice coil. This also has the benefit of reducing VC mass.

dave

I ran a quick measurement of the speaker. I'm showing with and without 6 bands of parametric eq and with a 1/12 oct. frequency dependent window. Unfortunately, there is a pretty severe breakup at 20.5khz that makes the impulse response look ugly. I don't think it's an audible issue. I did some listening (just one speaker) with the eq as shown along with a Linkwitz transform and some linear phase baffle step compensation. It sounds really good.

Is there any way you can increase the resolution of the graph by reducing the db range?
And perhaps keep the smoothing to 1/24 oct?
Thanks!

Is there any way you can increase the resolution of the graph by reducing the db range?
And perhaps keep the smoothing to 1/24 oct?
Thanks!

-vertical scale reduced by 30db
-frequency dependent window size increased to 1/24 octave
-mic cal applied

This was just a quick measurement I made out of curiosity. I have not checked for repeatability. I plan to do a more thorough job when the speakers are completed.

edit: I originally showed the response to 30khz, but decided to remove it since my mic is not calibrated in that range.

Attachments

• p7 24th oct fdw.jpg
    p7 24th oct fdw.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:
...highs seem a touch hot/coloured

It's worth watching how this develops over time. I found that cone treatments did not help in the end for my ears. In the beginning my enthusiasm carried me on, but over the few years I've been in this hobby my ears have become less forgiving - I guess they became a bit Victor Meldrew.

good, hopefully that'll sort out the FR. But cone-break-up modes can be hard to eliminate with EQ, too much going on with the phase etc. - I tried passive EQ and it didn't work out but I never tried a digital approach - it wouldn't have been in keeping with the spirit of what I was doing at the time.

Bigun, think remember you did a A10m gen3 build for a friend that you liked some, and if we compare manufacture data on same graph think Pluvia Seven is high value driver and it actual also have a very beautiful look seen with my eyes. First visual below is usual 100dB range or more as MA normal publish where second one is a 50dB range, green is A10m gen3 and red is Pluvia Seven.

Third visual is gmad's beautiful enclosures http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/265053-hypercube-loudspeakers-52.html#post4811515 smoother performance verse manufacture's IEC baffle, and fourth one is same but intended info for gmad where FR135EX manufacture data is mixed into. Amplitude dip and impedance blib just below 2kHz is probably because of under hung surround and un-repairable, it falls at a unfortunate frq point seen with eyes what they discuss and try to improve at this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/277519-fixing-stereo-phantom-center-61.html#post4745331

Attachments

• 53.png
    53.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 565
  • 54.png
    54.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 560
  • 55.png
    55.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 547
  • 56.png
    56.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 556
Thanks, BYRTT. One thing I should have mentioned is that the second graph I showed is derived from the minimum phase extracted version of the sweep; I had lost the full measurement which I think is what I used for the first graph. They were, of course, very similar, but I remember thinking that the broad peak around 1khz may have been slightly more pronounced in the min phase version. Sorry for the sloppiness :eek:. I meant to do a more accurate and thorough job by now but I wanted to wait until the speakers were done. It's taking a lot longer than I anticipated since I decided to redo the finish (I'm still not sure whether I want to spray or brush...).

edit: About the dip that shows up in the impedance sweep: I had assumed this was due to the driver behaving a bit like a BMR. Could this possibly be the case?

Last edited:
Bigun, think remember you did a A10m gen3 build for a friend that you liked some, and if we compare manufacture data on same graph think Pluvia Seven is high value driver and it actual also have a very beautiful look seen with my eyes.

Yes, I didn't detect anything irritating about the A10.3 drivers, they were really good.

I was using them (during the brief period I had them - they were built for a friend) toed in slightly and just 10 to 15deg off-axis is enough to level the FR nicely. Their stereo imaging was memorably impressive.

The key is likely not the exact shape of the FR but the cause of the bumps in the treble. If it's a gently rising response unrelated to cone-break-up that might produce a very different subjective experience than a cone break-up resonance.

If the Pluvia sounds as good as the 10.3 I'd be enthused to hear about that impression from anybody who has both drivers to compare. But the test sound files I listened to from XRK were not good at all to my ears. Still, that wasn't exactly first-hand experience.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If the Pluvia sounds as good as the 10.3

Broadly similar, but they are not capable of reprodiucing the same level of detail (ie have less DDR) than the A10.3. The Mms is near 2x the A10.3m so they will be physically tougher (i accidentily bounced an allen key off the cone, a 10.3 would have been damaged, the P11 was not). For systems where the lowest level stuff is already lost before it gets to the speaker, that will not be noticed.

John -- who won the CGR P11 cabinets and drivers -- had me EnABL the drivers. Performance is superb. Any isses with top end ringing now seems MIA (his comment).

test sound files I listened to from XRK were not good at all to my ears

To my mind, so much is lost, and so much convolved into those files they are not worth much more than entertainment.

dave

Just a quick follow-up to my previous post to clear up any confusion (since I now remembered what I actually did). Both frequency response graphs I posted were derived from the minimum phase portion of the measurement. I intended it to be this way for the first graph since I was showing the response with eq. As I remember it, the second graph would have showed slightly flatter response through the midrange had I used the the full measurement (not just the min phase portion), but I had lost the original measurement. We're not talking about a big difference here, but I wanted to be as clear as possible since BYRTT took the time to make those graphs.

Some pictures of my finished Derwents and matching amplifier. I gave them away as a gift and the recipients are very happy with them :)

Attachments

• 13907014_10154313652445891_702413907747361125_n.jpg
    13907014_10154313652445891_702413907747361125_n.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 433
  • 13932687_10154313652420891_4907447725800638717_n.jpg
    13932687_10154313652420891_4907447725800638717_n.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 254
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.