New 15" full range - FANE

Perhaps because of the automatic translator I explained myself wrongly, I meant a 15-300TC + a 15-400LF per channel. What value of reel do you recommend for the 1-400LF?
Do you think the 120x60 measures are adequate for the OB?
Thank you.

The LF's sensitivity is lower than the TC, so, if you use just one, you will have to bring the TC down a bit.

Here's a quick sim of the two drivers.
You can start without the BSC (L3 and R1) at first.
If you feel the driver is too bright, you can add it later.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 10.54.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 10.54.37 PM.png
    154.1 KB · Views: 466
As the drivers break in they sound better and better. I have 2 full range and 2 LF 15 inch Fane drivers which cost me $760cad, a minidsp $150cad and Baltic birch ply, cut at the lumber yard, for the final cabs $93cad for a total of almost exactly $1000cad. I had to buy a second amp, a Crown D75, more cables and connectors but expect the total to be under $1500cad. A great price to performance ratio.

I am using a Fane Sovereign 15-400LF per side for low frequencies and am satisfied with the response.

200 hz Bessel in a minidsp which I believe is 12 db/octave. Should mention this is on a 60x100 cm baffle.

Thank you KaffiMann for reposting. mauri99, you are too kind, in that what I have done is similar to the efforts of other members. Keep it simple. Measure the drivers before you cut holes in the plywood. My drivers are 385mm not the 381mm listed on the spec sheet. Set up a crossover and listen, it takes quite a while for the drivers to break in. Then you need a measuring microphone and use REW, seems to be the most popular choice in software, and it's measure, adjust, measure, adjust till you like the result. Obviously, easier done in the digital domain. I put small wheels on the speakers as you will be moving them around to adjust the sound in your room. Sit back and enjoy.

Stlll liking the FC152's?
I found that just notching some resonant peaks sort of relaxed a lot of the sound over a wide range, then it was just padding down gently a tiny little bit with a downwards slope up in frequency. Not much needed. Noticed there where some peaks that where visible on several listening positions, went for 8 point measurement overlayed to see the peaks in question.
May be somewhat dependent on implementation.

mauri99, I'm very satisfied with the results. Full bodied, natural vocals, strong mid-bass are some words that come to mind. I have screwed 8-10 cm wide strips on the back side near the baffle edge as much to hide the drivers from view as to bolster the bass. I have used speakOn professional connectors since they are cheap, lock in place and were ordered in different colours so I don't confuse which wire is for the full range or bass driver.

@jazzfan: Very interesting! I had the same concept on my mind, just not found the time to build it. I'm currently running two Fane 12-250 TC in a baffle with some rear damping and quite some EQ (the most fun way to break them in:D), but planned to extend this just as yours. However, I'd like to run the drivers passively, with the future option of active EQ if bass extension isn't enough.

Could you share your settings on the miniDSP?
Also, what's your experience finding the crossover point?

The measurements attached are in the test baffle, h115xb50, with rear damping by thick carpet, no EQ, 6ms window, 15 deg. steps 0-15-30...180 degrees. Not calibrated!

Note the lack of strong peaks in the power response (middle, dark blue)

Attachments

• 20190424_195000.png
    20190424_195000.png
    168.7 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Please can you post photos?
I'm looking for a good speaker to test all my amplifiers.

Hello Thimios, I do not have that setup myself, I am using the now discontinued Fane 15-400 for bass, 2 per channel in ca 120 liter vented box per bass driver, and my beloved FC152 are in ca 80 liter sealed. Here is a picture anyway.

Will be several more days before I can hear them again :(
Looking forward to firing up the system maybe on saturday.

Attachments

• IMG_4475.jpg
    IMG_4475.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 1,606
Sebastian K I built a second pair of speakers using the 12" Fane full range and a Fane Sovereign 12-500LF. This is the crossover setting for that speaker and I kept using it because I liked the sound.

I'm getting the sense that the 12" benefits from a supporting woofer whereas the 15" can stand alone, depending on implementation details.