• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Muses Volume

20 years of soldering experience and working under microscope, I can assure that I don't have any issues soldering a "simple" Muses chip. Can post macro shots as well.

The controller might be accepting commands, but I have not monitored what (and if) it is sending anything to the Muses chips. Also, a balanced config should have at least one channel and one boards working but not nothing at all, if everything is right and power is supplied properly. Will need to dig more into that, remove the balanced bridges, monitor whats going on, but there is definite something and is taking hours in troubleshooting after meticulous soldering.

I am confused.
Why don't you use your time to test both boards separately in a single-ended configuration and possibly resolder the MUSES components?
Because it is balanced that I need them. I have soldered lots of Muses, an USG Muses preamp as well, never had issues soldering.

Will need to invest more time into this. Will check if the Muses get any control signals and eventually check them in SE, one by one as you suggest. No other options I guess. Well, could potentially swap them for a 4CP-2500 or so.

I will ship all new controller packed in esd material ;)
Worth a go ;) Will PM for updated prices. Thanks Daniel.
Out of interest can you develop a testing protocol we can do our end with simple multimeter to verify a successful controller installation?
I guess we need to have the whole thing built?
Sorry if you have given this info previously, I think you may have done for me but can't find a post.

Testing is very simple because it is a modular system.

1. Populate controller, connect status LED, connect IR receiver, power up.

2. Perform the IR setup. Does the status LED blink as specified in the documentation?

3. Populate Muses board(s).

4. Set up each Muses board individually in SE configuration with controller and signal, and test the functionality.

5. If necessary, configure the second Muses board in DIFF configuration and set the parameters of the controller for this mode of operation.

I would like to emphasize that every user successfully got the project up and running, except for one user who was very active in writing without testing the boards seperate.

Most of the issues were due to poor solder joints, and there were two cases of a faulty controller. All controllers will be tested before being shipped out.
Unfortunately, I cannot offer a pre-populated controller board as it would be very costly.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Has anyone using the muses remote volume control ran into a glitch where the volume shoots up to 99 without touching the remote control?
As you don’t use Meldano's volume control, but Academy Audio Inc. VCX Micro solution, only way to get useful answers would be to ask Academy Audio Inc.
That glitch is not caused by some known Muses chip failure but by controller hardware or software implementation problem.

Reactions: 1 users
As you don’t use Meldano's volume control, but Academy Audio Inc. VCX Micro solution, only way to get useful answers would be to ask Academy Audio Inc.
That glitch is not caused by some known Muses chip failure but by controller hardware or software implementation problem.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Tombo56. I’ll have to try to get Meldano’s volume control.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
ran into this issue and it was with using the VRDN PSU. I tried two different VRDN boards but had the same problem.
Very interesting and peculiar.
IR control has carrier frequency of 38 kHz. It may be that voltage regulators had some HF oscillation that was finding its way into the circuit and was interpreted as a volume up signal.
VRDN regulators, assembled with LM voltage regulators from Texas Instruments and with initially set 6.8 nF compensation capacitor, could oscillate, as was later discovered and explained along with the remedy.

Does the VRDN fulfill’s this requirement?

Attachments

• 4B303B61-7A21-424D-8B20-643D772EF598.png
    4B303B61-7A21-424D-8B20-643D772EF598.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 70
Joined 2019
Paid Member
AFAIK it does not. VRDN is well designed but in principle basic denoiser circuit. So, it probably behaves just the same as determined here for a standard denoiser circuit:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...grade-any-317-based-v-reg.331491/post-7320689

However, I doubt that this is a reason for the problem with rising volume. It can be checked easily. Power on Muses volume control with negative supply disconnected, and then connect it. If volume starts to ramp up by itself, we have a confirmation.