Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hello,

just recently started using Moode audio (Test Release 2), after having used Volumio & RuneAudio but I had the impression these are not maintained. I have a raspberry pi 2 and a Hifiberry Amp+ and I have moved the /root partition of the SD card to a usb flash disk as I had some corruption problems.
I'm currently facing issues with the volume. I tried getting hardware volume working but didn't succeed. I wanted to revert back to software but the volume now is stuck on 100%. I'm also facing issues updating the settings as everything starts to get slow.

I wanted to start clean again but was wondering if there is an easy way to install Test Release 3, without having to install it from SD card again and redoing the move of the /root to the usb disk. The move of the /root posed some issues as I don't have a screen hocked up to my raspberry. After having connected a screen I did see that there was a check disk issue and after that eveything works. Also I'm running transmission & sickrage from the same usb disk so would like to avoid a complete rebuild of the /root partition. Any way to update this easily, through git? Note my experience with linux is rather limited so a minimal guidance would be appreciated :)

Tim,

I've just installed TR3.
After first hour, I think it's noticeably more responsive (UI).
Could it be or it's just an illusion?

Btw, in the library window, beside of the bug on the artists list, there might be same thing in the tracks list:
Can't scroll down anymore (looks like the last line is missing).

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2016-02-13 o 15.03.34.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2016-02-13 o 15.03.34.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Hi Tim,

I'm wondering when I add a source and Moode starts to update is there a way of filtering the type of files it looks for.
My main music file type is flac, ape,mp3 and wav, but on the same drive I have some movies in avi,mp4 and mkv etc which I don't want indexing.

Many thanks for the great work here.

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

I didn't think MPD indexed video file types. Do they show up in Browse panel?

Regards,
Tim

Short feedback after 3 days with the Test Release 2 (OK, a bit late, the TR3 is out ;)
With my 26314 songs collection, I was not able to break the library feature: GREAT!!!

Also the new feature that will alllow to play a whole genre, artist or album by clicking the albumart is very fine.

Little question: It is easy to set up cover aart in MPOD/PAD by just indicating the Moode URL (diyAudio server HTTPS page). For other mpd clients (Chimney for Win10 for ex, or MPDROID, or others...) they ask for an URL and a default cover file name. Is there a complete URL with default file name that we could use with Moode to display album art on thoses softs ? If I indicate cover.jpg, then it load the defaut Moode cover (the same one as http://moode.local/images/default-cover.jpg)

Hi,

Glad to hear the new Caching Library Loader is working for u :)

For MPoD/MPaD all thats needed to get cover art for song files is:

(1) Enter "http://moode" under Connections, Advanced, Local Cover Art, URL.
(2) Cover filename can just be left at its default "Folder.jpg"
(3) Save the changes, go to Settings, Cover art, and press "Clear cover art cache"

This will fetch cover art whether its embedded in the song file or stored as a separate image file. The cover art fetcher checks for all the standard file names including folder, cover, album - artist, etc., and if none of those exist it picks up any type of image file that exists in the dir containing the song.

Regards,
Tim

Hello,

just recently started using Moode audio (Test Release 2), after having used Volumio & RuneAudio but I had the impression these are not maintained. I have a raspberry pi 2 and a Hifiberry Amp+ and I have moved the /root partition of the SD card to a usb flash disk as I had some corruption problems.
I'm currently facing issues with the volume. I tried getting hardware volume working but didn't succeed. I wanted to revert back to software but the volume now is stuck on 100%. I'm also facing issues updating the settings as everything starts to get slow.

I wanted to start clean again but was wondering if there is an easy way to install Test Release 3, without having to install it from SD card again and redoing the move of the /root to the usb disk. The move of the /root posed some issues as I don't have a screen hocked up to my raspberry. After having connected a screen I did see that there was a check disk issue and after that eveything works. Also I'm running transmission & sickrage from the same usb disk so would like to avoid a complete rebuild of the /root partition. Any way to update this easily, through git? Note my experience with linux is rather limited so a minimal guidance would be appreciated :)

Hi,

Each release is fresh image because an in-place updater has not been developed yet. Robust in-place updating is a substantial work effort that competes for time against development of Moode itself.

The symptoms u are experiencing including "everything starts to get slow", "tried getting hardware volume working but didn't succeed" suggest a bad SD card.

Regards,
Tim

Okay, maybe I'm dull... but

I'm using TR2 and I can click on album/songs to get a queue of songs. When I select 'add/replace/ play all' I still have to click the play arrow/button to get the next song started. So playback stops after every song. Is there a setting that just keeps playing a play list until I tell it to stop?

Everything else seems to work just fine. I apologize if the answer is obvious.
Thanks for the support!
Ryan

Okay, maybe I'm dull... but

I'm using TR2 and I can click on album/songs to get a queue of songs. When I select 'add/replace/ play all' I still have to click the play arrow/button to get the next song started. So playback stops after every song. Is there a setting that just keeps playing a play list until I tell it to stop?

Everything else seems to work just fine. I apologize if the answer is obvious.
Thanks for the support!
Ryan

Are u sure its TR2? The menu items in TR2 were changed to:

- Add
- Play
- Clear/Play

I just tested TR3 Clear/Play action from Library panel and no issues. I would recommend trying TR3. There are a lot of improvements and bug fixes in this test release :)

Regards,
Tim

Tim,

I've just installed TR3.
After first hour, I think it's noticeably more responsive (UI).
Could it be or it's just an illusion?

Btw, in the library window, beside of the bug on the artists list, there might be same thing in the tracks list:
Can't scroll down anymore (looks like the last line is missing).

Hi,

If u notice better response overall in UI its mostly due to the rewritten codebase which has many optimizations and is much easier to work on, however In TR3, I used a new NGINX config that Andreas created as part of Moode 3 project. This might be contributing to improved performance :)

The bugs in Library panel are next up on TODO list :)

Regards,
Tim

Is there a limit for DSD rate (64, 128, ...) for RPi2 hardware or Moode Player? Anyone tested this? Here you can find some test tracks
2L High Resolution Music .:. free TEST BENCH

Hi,

Not limited by hardware but by software to DSD64 using DoP in current mainline Raspbian Jessie ALSA 1.0.28 and in latest MPD 0.19.12 release.

This has been bumped to DSD128 in newer 1.0.29 version of ALSA and there is patch to MPD for DSD128 support. Also native bitstream DSD is supported.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Duncan,

I didn't think MPD indexed video file types. Do they show up in Browse panel?

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,
Thank you for replying so promptly.
Yes all my h264, mkv.....etc films are indexed in the browse panel, under each file the description is that it is a song!
It would be great if you could filter only the file type you want indexing.

Regards
Duncan

Hi Tim,
Thank you for replying so promptly.
Yes all my h264, mkv.....etc films are indexed in the browse panel, under each file the description is that it is a song!
It would be great if you could filter only the file type you want indexing.

Regards
Duncan

Hi Duncan,

You can add a file named .mpdignore to the dir containing the files you want excluded from the db update. The .mpdignore file would contain lines like:

*.avi
*.m4v

Here is reference link from MPD docs:
The music directory and the database

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

Each release is fresh image because an in-place updater has not been developed yet. Robust in-place updating is a substantial work effort that competes for time against development of Moode itself.

The symptoms u are experiencing including "everything starts to get slow", "tried getting hardware volume working but didn't succeed" suggest a bad SD card.

Regards,
Tim

Tim,

I'm a bit surprised that this would be due to a faulty SD card as the only thing running from it is the /boot. The rest is running from a USB disk. I'll see if I can find another SD card tot test.

Tim,

I'm a bit surprised that this would be due to a faulty SD card as the only thing running from it is the /boot. The rest is running from a USB disk. I'll see if I can find another SD card tot test.

Hi,

You mentioned in your OP "and I have moved the /root partition of the SD card to a usb flash disk as I had some corruption problems."

This indicates something external to Moode image is broken.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Duncan,

You can add a file named .mpdignore to the dir containing the files you want excluded from the db update. The .mpdignore file would contain lines like:

*.avi
*.m4v

Here is reference link from MPD docs:
The music directory and the database

Regards,
Tim

Many thanks for that, worked a treat after a reboot as the mpd.config file looks for a .mpdignore file at boot up.

Happy Days
Duncan

Hi,

Not limited by hardware but by software to DSD64 using DoP in current mainline Raspbian Jessie ALSA 1.0.28 and in latest MPD 0.19.12 release.

This has been bumped to DSD128 in newer 1.0.29 version of ALSA and there is patch to MPD for DSD128 support. Also native bitstream DSD is supported.

Regards,
Tim

Thanks. So what to set in "DSD over PCM" option when I´m trying to play DSD files and my DAC is not supporting them?