Modulus-86 build thread

The Modulus chassis is now online: https://neurochrome.com/collections/connectors-parts/products/modulus-chassis

The chassis fits the Modulus-86 Rev. 3.0, Modulus-186, and Modulus-286.

I only have a couple available to start as I'm trying to gauge the interest before sinking my retirement savings into a larger chassis order.

Tom
Hi Tom, that a nice looking chassis. Would it be possible to add some pictures how a completely built amplifier would look like? That might help visualizing the end result potential for buyers.

Very tasty piece, but yeah, I can understand your hesitancy to stock deep on that SKU.
Yeah... My selling price is basically the QTY = 1 price you'd pay if you ordered one of these chassis from Takachi. I ordered five of each colour option and will pocket the bulk discount. That makes this one of the lowest margin products in my portfolio. At the same time it's also a pain to package these. It takes me about an hour to box up one chassis for shipping. It would be faster for me to assemble the chassis before shipping. I have the foam end caps so I can ship the assembled chassis safely.
Anyway. If I can sell 10-20 of these per year, I'll probably keep them around. But if not, I'll just assemble the rest and sell them as fully assembled amps.

Hi Tom, that a nice looking chassis. Would it be possible to add some pictures how a completely built amplifier would look like? That might help visualizing the end result potential for buyers.
You can find those pictures in the gallery on the product page. I've attached them here as well.

Tom

Attachments

• MOD86-286_Chassis_Alu_Assy_Front.jpg
    MOD86-286_Chassis_Alu_Assy_Front.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 241
  • MOD86-286_Chassis_Alu_Assy_Rear.jpg
    MOD86-286_Chassis_Alu_Assy_Rear.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 227
  • MOD86-286_Chassis_Blk_Assy_Front.jpg
    MOD86-286_Chassis_Blk_Assy_Front.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 232
  • MOD86-286_Chassis_Blk_Assy_Rear.jpg
    MOD86-286_Chassis_Blk_Assy_Rear.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 226
I'm guessing you're referring to the fancier Vishay resistors. Those aren't required.

On Modulus-86 Rev. 3.0 U2 is fair game for experimenting as it's outside the feedback loop and doesn't impact amplifier stability.

I notice some not subtly different other components on the Mod-86 board. Are they required to go with the Burson?
Nothing different required. The Vishay resisters are all the spec'd values, they are just fat. In the picture I do have a gain resistor, but I've since removed it and prefer the stock gain. The resistors have a small impact of sound but nothing like the opamp. It's probably the biggest difference I've ever experienced from a component swap ever.

Another successful build...

Wanted to build an amplifier for quite a while and get back into soldering so I started with the LM3886DR from Neurochrome which was fun and super easy. But I wanted more and decided to also build the Modulus86 which was even more fun. Only sourcing parts is not trivial in these time, but Tom helped to find alternatives.

Sound is so clean and amazing and I never thought that my old speakers could play so well. Will still get new ones soon. Case is from Hifi2000 and the DAC I use is an EVO-Sabre from audiophonics plus Kali which will go in a similar clean case together with a Sigma11 linear power supply.

Attachments

• IMG_20220113_120124.jpg
    IMG_20220113_120124.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20220113_115725.jpg
    IMG_20220113_115725.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20220113_120144.jpg
    IMG_20220113_120144.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 254
Another successful build...

Wanted to build an amplifier for quite a while and get back into soldering so I started with the LM3886DR from Neurochrome which was fun and super easy. But I wanted more and decided to also build the Modulus86 which was even more fun. Only sourcing parts is not trivial in these time, but Tom helped to find alternatives.

Sound is so clean and amazing and I never thought that my old speakers could play so well. Will still get new ones soon. Case is from Hifi2000 and the DAC I use is an EVO-Sabre from audiophonics plus Kali which will go in a similar clean case together with a Sigma11 linear power supply.
Very nice job! Did you have any custom drilling done on the rear panel, or did you do all the drilling yourself?