Modular active 3 way - work in progress

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I did a series of measurements of one of the tweeters before I changed the fluid, from -21db to 0db (where -6db was I think 2V) I did the same after. Didn't notice any power compression in either. I did both sets without moving any of the measurement gear. some minor differences in the FR before and after.

I had one tweeter that had a normal looking impedance plot and one with a wonky one. After changing the wonky one it looks normal, but the one that was normal now looks wonky :D

I had an Oh **** moment when I was thinking why are no drops of fluid coming out, and suddenly realized the gap was completely overly full. I was holding it too close to the gap and it was just flowing out! Luckily I bought a big tube (in case I stuffed up) as the price difference between 100uL and 600uL I think was only about $5. Wasted a heap on that first tweeter, had enough (I think) for the second one. the instructions I found online said two to three drops but no way that would be enough.

Anyway the subjective evaluation is that they are much less harsh now, but I may need to now modify the crossover....

Something was screwy with my impedance measurements, so not sure if I have a valid before and after... But I did a measurement with the crossover and it looked screwy, it was a quick and dirty in room though so will have to do proper measurements to find out if something really needs changing. Certainly sounds ok. Imaging seemed to be a bit better too.

Thanks for the update. It always seemed tricky to figure out how much fluid is required. Once the VC is installed it would be hard to tell how "full" the remaining gap is. Seems like it was worth doing for your speakers :)

I repaired a set of Mission tweeters that had broken VC's from an input "hot plugin" on a powered amp. Some of the fluid was blown into the back of the silk domes. I repaired it, cleaned it up, and it works but it's running a little short of fluid I suspect. I measured it but was never sure how much it changed (no baseline) and what caused it. They're also short 1 winding on the VC from the repair. Sufficient quality for workout music. :)

AKABAK sim : Radial Finned Horn + D2200Ph​

This horn model originated from off line collaboration with @docali and @fluid that initially started with Yuchi A290 radial finned horn models. It resulted in some interesting improvements and I was curious about how one of these horns would perform with my D2200Ph driver for my midrange.

The fin arrangement (pic#3, type "c") was taken from High Quality Horn Loudspeaker Systems (Bjorn Kolbrek / Thomas Dunker) and the horn surfaces were calculated using @docali's calculator (spreadsheet) and surface reconstruction to STEP by @fluid. The RadImp (pic#4) and polars (pic#5,6) show the horn loads quit low and has relatively constant directivity.

This sim uses the throat velocity profile taken from a D2200Ph PWT measurement (velocity curve in previous posts). This radial horn loads lower than the previous ZXPC horn, so now the D2200Ph bump (~600Hz) is visible (also shown with notch filter, pic#7) in the system axial SPL curve. The radial horn loads lower than the driver is capable of (it rolls off ~400Hz), and the driver also limits the HF performance (rolls off ~8KHz). PRV only provides test data for this driver on an exponential horn (pic#8, and I did ask them for PWT data). This system is easily capable of covering my midrange needs without excessive EQ as the system's axial SPL curve can be predicted using the driver's throat velocity curve in a simulation.

Attachments

• drba_325_fin80-5-ssw_T07mk3b2-TopView.jpg
    drba_325_fin80-5-ssw_T07mk3b2-TopView.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 87
  • drba_325_fin80-5-ssw_T07mk3b2-FrontView.jpg
    drba_325_fin80-5-ssw_T07mk3b2-FrontView.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 81
  • BK-TD-pic1.jpg
    BK-TD-pic1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 81
  • RadImp.jpg
    RadImp.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Hpolar1.jpg
    Hpolar1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Vpolar1.jpg
    Vpolar1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Radial Finned + D2200 + EQ.jpg
    Radial Finned + D2200 + EQ.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 88
  • PRV D2200Ph + expo horn.jpg
    PRV D2200Ph + expo horn.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 84

UMIK1 Repair​

This might be some useful information if you inadvertently pulled the tip off your UMIK1 mic. It seems the mic access port of one of my PWTs was a little too snug. The UMIK1 is working again. :)

Attachments

• DSCN8784r.jpg
    DSCN8784r.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN8783r.jpg
    DSCN8783r.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 56
  • UMIK1_mic_wiring.jpg
    UMIK1_mic_wiring.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 55

Optical Intferface DAC​

I was getting some ground loop noise (hum) while testing and tried to eliminate it. I bought a budget 2 channel TosLink DAC so I could break the electrical connection between my PC and filter + amps. Works great, no more noise, its silent now. However,... as soon as I listened to it, the audio quality was lacking.

I did a few quick loopback tests to the the PC and compared it to the PC soundcard (ALC889). I would expect any DAC to manage 20-20Khz flat and I can excuse the performance w,r,t SNR or THD as these usually require better P/S and layouts. This one surprised me so I posted a few pics. I suspect most of its problems can be fixed for <$5. It will be taken apart soon as I want to embed an optical interface into my active filter box.

Pic#2 Compared to the PC's ALC889 using loopback. I can EQ the DAC flat but why start rolling off at 6Khz (unless its a reconstruction filter component error).
Pic#3 The THD with a cell phone charger. It's better than my speakers manage but not great for electronics, Sufficient for testing a speaker.

Attachments

• TosLinkModule.jpg
    TosLinkModule.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 81
  • TosLinkFRD.jpg
    TosLinkFRD.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 76
  • TosLinkTHD.jpg
    TosLinkTHD.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 73

V11 - Quad woofers + ZXPC 11x17 + H07E​

Finally, another version to try out. I was attempting to improve the midrange in my horn system by using a 2inch horn that was able to load and control to lower freq. The plots for these horns are in the previous posts. The ZXPC was advertised as 90x40 but realistically its closer 60x40. That's the narrowest polar I've tried, but it easily can handle a XO=725Hz as can the driver D2200Ph. The tweeter is a Dayton H07E with a Fane CD130. I was trying to understand why it behaves so differently from the other versions I have. That's easier to do in a simulator.

The AKABAK simulation uses LR4 XO [725, 4550Hz], some EQ (<+/-3dB), velocity curves from PWT CD measurements, and horn models based on physical measurements, the DSA175 motors were used with simple disc membrane. The polars are not normalized and the SPL curves show the driver contributions. The last graph is the ANSI-2034A (aka Spinorama) report.

This combination has a very different DI and power response from any of my previous versions. The midrange sounds very good as is the imaging (seperation and detail). What I noticed immediately is the power response difference compared to the cone+dome system. Initially it sounded unbalanced, like too much bass or not enough midrange (the system was EQ'd flattish with FIR phase correction). It could be that I'm used to something else or maybe the smaller temporary room I'm in. Still listening to it, and that's good.

Attachments

• DSCN8905r.jpg
    DSCN8905r.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 179
  • V11.jpg
    V11.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Hpolar1.jpg
    Hpolar1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Vpolar1.jpg
    Vpolar1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Overall-Drivers_EQ.jpg
    Overall-Drivers_EQ.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 143
  • ANSI-2034A-Report-WithEQ.jpg
    ANSI-2034A-Report-WithEQ.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 180
At least part of the V11 (2 posts earlier for details) power response problem I had was the room reinforcing LF too much. My mini woofer array also works better on floor. I'm temporarily using a smaller room and it makes quite a difference. So now I don't try to EQ the LF flat, I just let it fall off. Interestingly the 2 horns allow me to have relatively constant value DI~10 from ~1Khz to ~16Khz, or ~4 octaves out of 10.

Pic#1 - the AKABAK model
Pic#2 - spinorama report with no EQ applied, any ripples common to all curves can be EQ'd out
Pic#3 - spinorama report with EQ flattish. Power response changes a little, but DI is the same
Pic#4 - changed LF-XO to LR2 trying to "spread" the transition from woofer (DI=0) to horn (DI~10), no success

Attachments

• V11.jpg
    V11.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 63
  • ANSI-2034A-V11-LR4-NoEQ.jpg
    ANSI-2034A-V11-LR4-NoEQ.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 70
  • ANSI-2034A-V11-LR4-WithEQ.jpg
    ANSI-2034A-V11-LR4-WithEQ.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 67
  • ANSI-2034A-V11-LR2LR4-NoEQ.jpg
    ANSI-2034A-V11-LR2LR4-NoEQ.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 72
Wondering if a larger woofer (2x12inch) would help the power response. This sim had some problems at >6Khz but it still covers both XO points. The woofer polars are narrowing more but the power response is similar. Really no way around going from DI=1 to DI~=10. The DI slope in the transition from woofer to horn is a bit more shallow this time.

Attachments

• V12dual12Woofers+ZXPC+H07E-Model.jpg
    V12dual12Woofers+ZXPC+H07E-Model.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 68
  • V12-Hpolar.jpg
    V12-Hpolar.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 57
  • V12-Vpolar.jpg
    V12-Vpolar.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 60
  • ANSI-2034A-V12.jpg
    ANSI-2034A-V12.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 65
Compare these two speakers. The axial response is kept flattish is both cases.

V10 (built) has a smooth 5dB power drop across 200Hz-7Khz. It's at the expense of low DI, however it still images well and it sounds balanced.

V11 (built) has a 10dB power drop across 200Hz-7Khz, and most of that is actually across 500Hz-2Khz and it's noticable. The image and clarity are noticeably better than V10, but it's at the expense of sound power variation. So now I'm wondering how wide does that transition (DI=1 to 10) needs to be,?

Hence the V12 (sim only, above) which spreads (smooths) the transition (still 10dB, 500-2Khz) using larger woofers but maybe not enough.

Next, bass horn ? cardioid? . If I can get a smoother horn power transition to Schroeder (200Hz?) then maybe I won't care about keeping the axial response flat as the room will have to be considered as well.

Attachments

• Cone-Dome-Model.jpg
    Cone-Dome-Model.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 90
  • ANSI-2034A-V10-LR4-EQ.jpg
    ANSI-2034A-V10-LR4-EQ.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 85
  • V11.jpg
    V11.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 80
  • ANSI-2034A-V11-LR4-WithEQ.jpg
    ANSI-2034A-V11-LR4-WithEQ.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 91
When the DI is flat the on axis and listening window may need to be shelved down a little. You could try -0.2dB /oct or a little more from the point where the DI flattens out. The PIR raises up from 2k which could be what you are hearing. Taking away treble or adding bass has a very similar effect on the tonal balance that is perceived. Sometimes the difference between off and right is not very much.

When the DI is flat the on axis and listening window may need to be shelved down a little. You could try -0.2dB /oct or a little more from the point where the DI flattens out. The PIR raises up from 2k which could be what you are hearing. Taking away treble or adding bass has a very similar effect on the tonal balance that is perceived. Sometimes the difference between off and right is not very much.
Thanks for suggestions. I suspect that adding more MF-HF slope will further increase the sound power response difference and I think I need to decrease the difference. There are a few things to try, including your earlier suggestion to have a bank of shelf filters and just make the power response to my liking. Right now I'm still trying to find the differences in the spinorama curves that might explain it.

Last edited:
Digging up speakers from the past. This is V8 (built) with updated simulation model and EQ. It uses a SH402 (90x40deg, DI~8) horn for the midrange. The sound power response is more even (than V11) and the difference ~5dB. The D290 driver and SH402 horn struggle to hit 725Hz. The horn looses pattern control and both need significant EQ (+8dB total ) to get a flattish response at XO. However the wider pattern also means more sound power given a flattish on axis response.

Attachments

• V8_model.jpg
    V8_model.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 52
  • V8_eq_hpolar.jpg
    V8_eq_hpolar.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 51
  • ANSI-2034A-V8-EQ.jpg
    ANSI-2034A-V8-EQ.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 56
Adding a bass horn V13 (conical flare) to reduce the LF beamwidth and smooth out the power response down to Schroeder.

The LF horn is driven by a 8" Silverflute model. It's not the best fit, but I already have a pair. The horn depth nearly matches the midrange horn depth so no time delay adjustment required. There is no magnitude EQ applied, however the common ripples could be EQ'd flattish. This a better sound power response than V11 or V12 and would be easy to make. Ideally the bass horn would be rotated 90deg, but this orientation still works to reduce the total beam width and not make the speaker footprint too large.

Attachments

• V13-model.jpg
    V13-model.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 71
  • V13_hpolar.jpg
    V13_hpolar.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 68
  • V13_Vpolar.jpg
    V13_Vpolar.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 62
  • ANSI-2034-V13.jpg
    ANSI-2034-V13.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 71
Yes, it's very simple horn design to see if the idea had any merit. I plan on trying a few other LF horn designs (like the VotT you suggested earlier) to see if it can be improved. Curved walls could get tricky unless I build it up as a laminate of thin plys.

The sim was in 4pi space for ANSI. It should also be checked with a floor (2pi) as it may require changing the horn shape or woofer position. Either way this is an idea worth exploring further.

Next up V13b.

The bass horn is a exponential (Fc~300Hz). The LF axial response has not been made flat in order to level out the sound power. It would likely need some LF EQ to sound correct

Attachments

• V13b-Model.jpg
    V13b-Model.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 65
  • V13b-Hpolar.jpg
    V13b-Hpolar.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 62
  • ANSI-2034-V13b.jpg
    ANSI-2034-V13b.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 66