Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

I wonder what is the difference between 0.4x one driver karlsonator and 0.53 with two 3fe25-16 in terms of midrange and highs only.Is there a better image, soundstage with 0.53x? I already have a subwoofer but I'am afraid I do not have the necessary listening space for a 0.53x...

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I wonder what is the difference between 0.4x one driver karlsonator and 0.53 with two 3fe25-16 in terms of midrange and highs only.Is there a better image, soundstage with 0.53x? I already have a subwoofer but I'am afraid I do not have the necessary listening space for a 0.53x...

Mid and highs are similar but more bass and more punch in mid bass. Feels substantially bigger sound stage with 0.53x. I like to think of 0.40x as desktop near field speakers and 0.53x as full room speakers.

My eyes are playing tricks on me. I was making a root beer float and thought I saw a Karlsonator on my ice cream carton. Turns out it was the Eiffel Tower.

Attachments

• 1207200105.jpg
    1207200105.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 306
My eyes are playing tricks on me. I was making a root beer float and thought I saw a Karlsonator on my ice cream carton. Turns out it was the Eiffel Tower.

Looks like a Karlson to me too! You should try a K-Tube build if you have not done so. I much prefer the double cutaway version with the position the cutaway sections in the vertical plane and the solid sections to the left and to the right of the tube. I like my tubes centred upon my seated ear level then adjust toe in for best the best image and stage.

https://www.startpage.com/av/proxy-...e13691f7c28aa7c13a0314199d7cb4a8e5c855a8599d2

Last edited:
In my Karlsonator with dual 3FE25-16 made of 12mm plywood I would like to try the foam core instead of plywood for the front panel/aperture, 10mm (can't find any 12mm), but it seems there is many different materials, I need the stiffest possible and lightweight. Is there any specific that you can recommend for this purpose or there is no big difference between them?

I used this one

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...onator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-137.html#post4309613

As a desktop speaker they absolutly rock. Go for it asap!

Great, thanks.
Man, look how long that has taken me to respond.
It's not fair we have to do other stuff instead of playing.

This is the first time I have done anything like this.

Please can someone confirm or amend my shopping list:

2x A1 size Foam Board. Which thickness is required please I can only find that cardboard would be 5mm? But thought I had seen 10-12mm mentioned.
Drivers - Got.
Glue Gun
Thing to attach speaker cable to.
Accoustical damping material. Can this be all sorts of stuff?
Foam. Again, can this vary? I have some half decent closed cell 2mm foam Fairly dense. Or some eggbox type foam, Probably about 23mm but quite 'airy'. Or I think I have an old roll mat.
Thin felt. Might have to buy some of this.

Thanks.