Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I laid the 0.53x on its side. It could work with 0.4x too. Just try it out.

So you want to lay two of them end to end inside that cloth grill?
884467d1602737414-record-console-build-record_cabinet-jpg

The wide polar dispersion is best if oriented vertically though. What about dual 3FE25-2. Open face sealed Daggers behind the grill. Mono racetrack woofer in middle for a FAST. Mono below 300Hz.

Last edited:
how might it do if the two Karsonator (or XKi) to have the drivers "butted" so to have the high frequencies angled away from each other left to right rather than converging ? - -guess would depend upon the room's effects and distance from listener. As long as the speakers fit, it could be tried both ways.

(That console looks a lot like my 1917 Victrola)

...What about dual 3FE25-2. Open face sealed Daggers behind the grill. Mono racetrack woofer in middle for a FAST. Mono below 300Hz.

Thanks, something to think about. Are you suggesting run the 2 3FE25 in stereo or mono?

... drivers "butted" so to have the high frequencies angled away from each other left to right rather than converging ? ...

(That console looks a lot like my 1917 Victrola)

That's what I was thinking to try with the speakers. As for the design, exactly what I was aiming for :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited:
One has to have patience for an aliexpress.com delivery, it took my Bluetooth amp around 10 days to arrive in the US then another 24 days to travel from Atlanta to my residence in NC via "last mile delivery". I just powered it up with test speakers and it seems to work OK, couples well with my Chromebook so I can use it with youtube. It's a neat little package too, unlike my homemade stuff.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
BMR as long as parameters allow should be ok in a Karlsonatpr

re: Karlson variant - that's based on the Forsman line of speakers

Forsman

LOL - Forsman seems to have removed references which were once there to "Karlson"

The original Karlson enclosures are among the best ever - but poor reputation. Perhaps
the poor reputation is one reason Wolf von Langa did not make commercial releases of his
K-tube work (besides the public interpreting those as "phallic")

Last edited:
Hi X.
Thanks for all the posts. Having a lot of fun with TC9FD and foam boards.
Among all, I am enjoyng the single Vifa TC9FD Mini Karlsonator (0.4x Scale) best, as the TC9FD without the k-wings seem too bright to me at certain frequencies.
Now, I am wondering if the box could be tuned much lower. Somewhere in the 50 hz region would be great. Box size doesn't matter too much.
I like the bass of the mltls and was wondering if it would be possible to somehow combine the two designs?
Thanks!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Make the 0.53x Karlsonator with dual TC9’s. The larger box is tuned lower about 55Hz and has satisfying bass. You get +6dB sensitivity boost to top it off. Maybe use a 0.5mH and 4.7ohm resistor in parallel on the 0.53x to get a bit more bass. Try 1mH and 4.7ohm BSC on the 0.4x go see if it helps bass by attenuating the mids and highs. Adjust the 4.7R to taste. Smaller is more highs and larger is more bass.