Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

LOL. No I didn't. If I did I would have given the first version a more family friendly name. At most I thought 2 or 3 people might give it a try.

Trivia: the Karlsonator 6 was actually the first version of this design, not the later 'full size' Karlsonator 12 which has become the reference dimension size.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Lee played me this speaker in Denver...

after hearing 0.4X foamcore Karlsonator with TC9FD, Karlsonator 6 prototype with L.Cao F6 (and whizzerless FE164) plus my lovely Karlsonator12 with Nirvana Super10, 12LTA and Fane TC250 - -I'm mightily impressed. Almost bet you never would have thought your creation would be a household (well diyaudio community household) name.

Lee Adams K5 T-line had elements of this variant - was it offset enough to run smooth?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Freddy: I met up with Lee in Denver at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest the fall of the year that he died. Lee and his son brought the speakers shown in your post and we played them in the system in my room all afternoon. I have to say that I was surprised by them and they sounded very good and had good bass especially given their compact size. Best regards Moray James.

Once again thanks X.
The Karlsonators sound great.Here's a picture alongside one of your MLTL's and a Boominator variation. Also a picture of my main system.
I love these cheap,easy to make,great sounding designs.
I've downloaded Akabak and am figuring out how to run it on one of my old computers.
Sorry, I can't figure out how to reduce the resolution so I can upload the JPEGS.

Last edited:
Try again. I hope I haven't reduced them too much.

Attachments

• WP_20150211_001.jpg
    WP_20150211_001.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 437
  • WP_20150211_002.jpg
    WP_20150211_002.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 428
  • WP_20150211_003.jpg
    WP_20150211_003.jpg
    659 KB · Views: 401
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited:
Wow! Great work there Coit! :cheers:
Is that a FAST type boominator using a full range of is that a real tweeter?

Let me know if you need help with Akabak. Here is a template for a BIB - which can be the basis of any back loaded horn script.
diyAudio

And here is a MLTL template:
diyAudio

Thanks, I don't know what FAST stands for.
It is a copy of Saturnus's original with piezos.
It's getting recycled into a new version with PHT-407N's for which I have finally found a source in Australia.(with a mini DSP).
Maybe the most interesting thing there is on the main system which has a box with 6 output transformers for the lateral mosfet amp- don't have to worry about DC in the compression drivers.
Saying the Karlsonators are great isn't clear enough. They have a rich,full,and accurate sound.
I am having an after work beer and listening to them now. Bliss.
I'll be a while getting Akabak set up and understanding it. Thanks for the files and the offer of help.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
PS: I am amazed at the bass extension.Performance to price these are winners. I have catholic tastes, but blues rock is my favourite.

:cheers:
:) :)

The 0.53x dual Vifa K'nators have always been one of my favorite speakers. They still sound great and hold their own against many of the more complicated and more expensive speakers I have heard.

Glad you are enjoying them. Did you make yours out of FC or wood? Can't tell since they are painted.

The body and baffle are 12mm MDF.
The rest of the internals,braces,and Karlson aperture panel are 6mm MDF.
All panels sealed with silastic and glued with construction adhesive.
It's airtight and solid with no extraneous noises.:)
I wish I had of ordered two boxes of drivers (45 to a box),as I will have to get more to build the line arrays.
The MLTL's are great presents as they're so easy to build.I'm going to make a slightly altered version with two centre dividers covered with extruded mesh,between which are the amp and power supply.Connectors on bottom panel.
The drop,or should I say plummet of the AU dollar viz a viz the US has jacked up the cost of importing audio gear.We would kill for a Parts Express here.

Hi X,
I'm reading your speaker work and research on diyaudio, it's really interesting, thanks for sharing such things ! I got cheap 4" sica 4e1cs i planned to try in omni (something like labella with T-line loading...), but seeing really good K dispersion, it seduce me more. Do you think they should be ok for a dual K or dual xKi (qts is 0,4) ?
http://www.toutlehautparleur.com/media/catalog/product/datasheet/sica/Z001800C.pdf
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.