Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

I am always puzzled by the idea of adding subwoofer or tweeter to a system. If you do so then you change the whole idea and philosophy of the project, you make it a different project, then you got to compare it to similar projects and start rethinking the whole thing as you may find better solutions.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Most fullrange speakers will benefit from a sub if you want to hear stuff below 100Hz at a louder SPL. Bass down there is all about moving lot of air. A fullrange just can’t move that kind of air unless it is a BLH - which amplifies the low frequencies by providing acoustic gain via proper impedance matching between the cone and the air column. The Cornu horn for example has such bass gain as it has a very large expansion ratio offered by having 4 horns attached to its backside. But even then, no 3.5in or 5in BLH beats a good dedicated large area sub driven by a dedicated amp for punch below 50Hz. The nature of the fullrange sound from 500Hz to 5khz will still be the signature of the fullrange driver.

If you want a bit more bass, dual TC9FD in parallel have more reach. You might be able to swap out the drivers with the same holes even.

If you want a bit more bass, dual TC9FD in parallel have more reach. You might be able to swap out the drivers with the same holes even.

I had the single version of the 3fe25 and the double configuration definetly reaches lower.
Bigger box, longer pathway, more square area of mouth all contribute to lower tuning.
Why wouldn't another doubling of cone area exhibit similar results?
I am just asking, I have little experience with this type of enclosure.

Klaus

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I made some BSC’s with a 1mH steel laminated plate core inductor and a 3R resistor today. Hooked it up to my dual 3FE25-16 Karlsonators. Couldn’t really hear a difference in any bass enhancement. Maybe needs more like 4.7R or 6.8R before noticeable bass enhancement occurs. The steel core inductors are much more compact and lower cost than air cores. I don’t think they sounded detrimental at al.

Let me know what you think X. I also tried with 2mH and 8 ohms. The low end sounded full but a little bloated. That was too much. I think there is a balance to be struck with the foam core boxes too. I’m getting a little too much resonance at certain low frequencies so I that’s why I’m going with the 1mh and 6.6ohms as well. Curious to hear if something different works better with your fancy plywood boxes too. ;)

I'm glad that you're discussing BSC's again. I've used 0.9mH + 2.5 Ohm BSC's on my dual 3FE25's, but took them off months ago. I just missed the crystal clear highs too much, although on some tracks, e.g. Katie Melua's I'd Love to kill You, it hurt my ears a bit. But for most other music I've become used to the highs.

Right now I'm busy reading up on miniDSP products and was wondering if that route will be a better answer to this problem. And of course, it'll probably help with sub integration too.

Hi all,
I am midway through building these with the dual TC9FDs. I have two questions.

Has anyone here built the Nola Brio Trio clone and compared the two? I have built the Nola Brios and like them very much. I am interested in comparisons between the two.

The other question is ...how would the Karlsonator work with a Mark Audio 10p? I have a pair of these and really like them. I have seen others build a 6" version for other full range speakers.

Thanks in advance.

I have the Brio clones and the mini-Ks.

The mini-Ks are not bass monsters, but they will be satisfying enough for a wide musical range. Using the aperture, they seem to project the sound farther.

The Brio clones have more ambience to them, more intimate feel, but they are a bit bass shy and really need a subwoofer (or two) to shine.

I have the Brio clones and the mini-Ks.

The mini-Ks are not bass monsters, but they will be satisfying enough for a wide musical range. Using the aperture, they seem to project the sound farther.

The Brio clones have more ambience to them, more intimate feel, but they are a bit bass shy and really need a subwoofer (or two) to shine.

I have a pair of Alpha 15a in h-frame that I use for bass. I have been using the Mark Audio 10p on an 18"x18" baffle with 2" wings. It sounds really good. I just link to tinker and build. It is a horrible curse!!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The other question is ...how would the Karlsonator work with a Mark Audio 10p? I have a pair of these and really like them. I have seen others build a 6" version for other full range speakers. Thanks in advance.

If the A10.3 is anything like the 10p in T/S parameters, I did a sim of the 10.3(or 2 - I can't remember) once and it looks like a 0.47x scale Karlsonator would work. Not the deepest bass at 70Hz -3dB, but pretty sensitive. The top end of the paper cone may be a bit muted vs the alum cone though. This sim was from Dec 2016. You might be able to find in this thread by looking at date.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Karlsonator-0.47x-Alpair10p3-Freq-1m.png
    Karlsonator-0.47x-Alpair10p3-Freq-1m.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 846