Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Karlsonator 0.53's in wood

Hi Folks,

X has mentioned that more than one interested party would like to see some construction plans for a wood version. These plans were developed using Sketchup 2017, so it will require some familiarity with that tool to be able to pull out individual components and measure for size and the various angles. All components are 1/2" baltic birch except the front aperture, which is 3/8.

Attachments

• karlsonator53.zip
    101.9 KB · Views: 873
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thank you Jan for providing the nice Sketchup plans for the community. It will helps many builders make perfect cabinets I’m sure.

For interested builders:
It’s important to follow the guidelines for adding melamine damping sponges and a sheet of foam core on the inside of the aperture for this speaker to sound great in wood. Don’t skip the damping pads step and try to ascertain sound quality.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Freddy,
Looks like an XKi without an angled front chamber board. The vent looks a bit too large so perhaps the driver has a weak motor? Hard to say how it performs until I simulate it and without TS, sort of pointless. My guess is that the vent is to large (or short) and the front chamber too square. You will get a boxy resonance. Unless the thing is meant to work under 100Hz in which case, a Karlson aperture is not needed.

eVUq03K.png

probably not worth your time - maybe at one of the Thai forums there's a real build (?) - ah - it does look better with a weaker motor cheap Rockville 18" but I have a hard time believing qts is that low on that speaker. even if Le is high. The magnet structure is listed as "109 oz" so maybe a 50 ounce ferrite slug

https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/RVW1800P4/

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The dual 3FE25-16 Karlsonators are almost done. I am going to get the aperture tinted a more amber color than what is shown here. The finish is looking good though. Black Duratex on the inside of the front chamber. This was built using Jhofland’s Sketchup plans.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0876D061-7C7A-4586-AF08-C82E6811393F.jpeg
    0876D061-7C7A-4586-AF08-C82E6811393F.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 2,097
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Morning all

Just busy cutting a set of foam core boxes from the 0.53x plans drawn by MuddJester

2 questions regarding the plans - I've had a search through the thread but can't find what I need (haven't read every post though!!)

1)
Is there a dimension missing from part L on the plan?
From where I am sitting it needs a dimension on either of the 2 parallel edges of the trapezium in order to cut out correctly.
I can see in the plan that length may not be critical for this part as long as the angles are correct and that it is neither too short or too long to connect both the back of the bend and the top of the cabinet
Can someone help with a suitable dimension?

2)
Why are there 4x side panels on the plans? Are they double thickness?

Thanks to all

Last edited:
Hi Sthcoaster,
L is just a brace, dimension is not critical - just make it approximate so that it helps to reduce panel vibration of the top. Those plans are for a pair of speakers so 4 side panels.

A good idea is to double the thickness of the top and bottom panels. Better with another material of different density, but if you do not have it, the same wood used in the rest of the furniture.

The dual 3FE25-16 Karlsonators are almost done. I am going to get the aperture tinted a more amber color than what is shown here. The finish is looking good though. Black Duratex on the inside of the front chamber. This was built using Jhofland’s Sketchup plans.

766104d1562093691-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-0876d061-7c7a-4586-af08-c82e6811393f-jpeg

Very nice!
I'm i interesting for a set of test speakers.
Do you recommend this?
Is it a better speaker choice that would be used?
Something more powerful?
Regards.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Very nice!
I'm i interesting for a set of test speakers.
Do you recommend this?
Is it a better speaker choice that would be used?
Something more powerful?
Regards.

It’s quite sensitive (93dB) since it uses dual 16ohm drivers in parallel. Needs no more than 25w amp. It’s a fantastic sounding speaker with great imaging and presentation.

If you want a speaker that can handle your 100w amps, check out the 10F/RS225 FAST speakers. More info here:
10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

756284d1557709163-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor-cb7e495f-65c0-4d77-a7e9-fbbede3e4857-jpg

656203d1515700364-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-ref-monitor-xrk971-10f-rs225-fast-schematic-jpg

Joined 2016
Paid Member
For the 0.53x scale Karlsonator with dual 3FE25-16's

I know I've seen instructions here somewhere but can't find them - I remember seeing a pic of cutout etc for the dual 3FE25 model. Just built the baffle for the TC9FD's as per MuddJester but the bottom driver doesn't fit.

Can someone please direct me to the relevant post/s?

Thanks

Clayton