Marshall 3315 missing parts???

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
how does one take a clip board view thumbnail and paste it to a post?
If you have an image copied to the clipboard, then if you open paint and press Ctrl+V this should paste it, then you can save it somewhere on your system and attach it here.

If it isn't on your clipboard but you see it while browsing, right click and save it first, then attach it here.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
ahck how does one take a clip board view thumbnail and paste it to a post?
i'm good with analog electronic but some of this new age stuff befuddles me...

You've been around computers enough to know the drill. SAY what computer you are using. While they converge a little every decade, they are still all different.

Windows NT? Windows 10? Mac O/S 7? OSX Manx? Bluberry PI? Timex Sinclair? iPhone? Android phone? Linux desktop? Linux palm computer?

"Clipboard" sounds like a great invention but is really a kludge. Typically it only holds one of a thing. (I have an 11-slot text clipboard but never remember how it works.) The clipboard is very ephemeral. Its internal representation may not be known to any other program. The images you posted are actually "Base64" code; which is a semi-standard, but not known to this forum's image upload.

The best way to handle data (images) is as a "file". The original file is Babylonian clay tablets. 4000 years later, bigger marks on thinner card-stock (Punch Cards). Magnetic recording took over and many new (bigger) kinds of data could be stored. Of course at this point they tried to hide the gruesome details from the ordinary user.

Allen's answer assumes you are on Windows or similar and know how to fine a program "Paint" which does the things Windows Paint does. Paste a copy of the image clipboard to a workspace, then save that image to a JPEG, GIF, or PNG file which can be passed to web-browsers.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
... I don't use Windows and I can still do Ctrl+V

Mac? "right click and save it first" But Right Click is not there on all Mac mice. My ChromeBook (forgot that) takes Alt-Tap for some Rt-Clik actions (but different finger-twists every few releases...)

...and there is an equivalent Paint style program ;)

What, that funny "A" inside Preview?? I'd never find that without your hint. Now I think on it, it is probably a "divider/compass" (a 'tool') not an "A"? Tiny icons are poorly discoverable. Knowing the question's O/S context can help.

i think i got it. the two funky fuse holders are there as a substitute for F1 and F2 which should be 10A pico fuses. if your soldering skills are up to it i would remove those.

leave the transistors out of the amp we'll revisit that, as you've got a working DBT we can now do a no load tests of the transformer to see if it's functional.

Attachments

• 3315 pseg.jpg
    3315 pseg.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 99
Got it. And yes, I can unsolder those. I think I arrived at that conclusion before when I started this thread. Once I see the solder joints I'll know if I did it and forgot that I did it.

As far as the file conversion, I just copy the item and change the syntax to what ever I want, provided it is the type of file for the syntax (.jpeg=pictures, mp4=video and so forth) isn't that the easiest way to convert the file?

I do have the pico fuses and the rectron BR106 now and the actual power switch is installed.

as far as the theory end of this, somethings I get things right away, other times it has to sit and take form in my brain, kind of like with concrete, or jello, you have let it sit a while before it jel's or solidifies. And sorry about the rant back there, but it chaps my hide in a bad way as it is much of the rubbish I grew up with. " Quit the band, it's a nice hobby but you will never get anywhere." If I had listened to that, I really would have gotten nowhere and not experienced the mild success that I (we) had. Thanks for choosing to continue with my slow paced progress towards a smoke or not to smoke finish.

"Quit the band"

There are always people who will try to drag you down.
As a labourer I always wanted to be in electronics so in break times often read books on electronic theory. People would often ask what I was reading and then comment that I was a labourer and would never do anything better.
A year later I got on a Government electronics training course and passed with distinctions. I now run my own hardware and software business.
Follow your dream if that is what you enjoy doing.

Sad it was taken negatively; truth is mine was a realistic comment, posted in good faith, notice I waited until 100 (one hundred!) posts were reached.
Also trying to save you lots of frustration.

More important: I gave you two practical suggestions to get some profit out of this lucky find.

I will NOT suggest you "study Electronics until you can repair it yourself" (which is what Nigel did) simply because it´s impractical in this situation and to each his own.
Notice it took him at least 2 years, probably way more, and he certainly must be studying new things to this very day.

From what I see, you are not seeking a career change or anything like that, simply trying to save $100 or so.

"Just follow your dreams" is a noble endeavour, simply I don´t see it happening here, but a way more limited objective.

In any case, best wishes, and *maybe* you can repair it after all and save those 100$.

I wish it were just a 100.00$ I was trying to save. I just had a Sunn 200s fixed that I also found for free and it cost me $460 to replace the biasing pot? And the large Caps which he said are not available so he put 2 in at 1/2 the value to fix that.I don't want to pay that or more for what might be investigative repair. I am a player, guitar, bass, keys and program. I am also somewhat of an engineer and owned a sound and lighting company in the 80's and worked and performed with (opening for) some major acts and have a few other items that need servicing. My Moog Taurus pedals need a tech bad. I've done some simple contact cleaning issues in the past but it's beyond that now but to be expected for a 42 year old piece of gear that was used through out the years. As Far as lucky finds go, you wouldn't believe the list of gear I have found in the last 15 years or was given. The most expensive being an Allen and Heath 32 x 8 x 2 mixing consul in good condition. You should have seen the look on my face when I realized what it was that I was looking at as I got closed on a foggy dawn of a Sunday morning as it was sitting on its side at the curb. An SUV cab appeared out of nowhere and I gladly gave him my last $5 to get it home. A clean out job I did yielded me 12 QSC power amps, 2 movie projectors and a whole slough of movie related audio visual gear. And actually I was considering a career change in this direction as my body is nearing the end of The physically demanding abilities that landscaping, hauling and scraping metal require. 2 hernias slowed me down quite a bit. So, if I could learn enough to fix what I've got, I might dare to try to help a few friends with similar situations. I know I'm doing this backwards, but remember, I'm a player/user and I've been dying to hear this thing work. I have the money to do whatever I want, but I am old school, work on my own cars and trucks, which is what studied at a trade school and fix everything that needs it here at the ranch I live and work on, plumbing, carpentry, electric, cement work, painting and I hate paying someone else for something I could do mysaelf, if I knew how. Electronics is something I've always wanted to learn but never got around to. I also build and repair PC's, I just don't know the theory behind it, but hey, everyone uses a light switch but very few know how electricity works. What limits my understanding is thinking in a left to right, top to bottom format constraint and overlook the other possibilities. I try to be optimistic and open when it comes to learning and remain teachable. There is no reason I can't do what you all do, I just need to know what to get and what to do. Although I don't solder very well. Unfortunately, if there is a wrong way to do something, THAT, I will figure out I run in place very well so it's kind of a sore spot when someone points out that I'm going nowhere. I'm sorry I took offense.

Last edited:
"Quit the band"

There are always people who will try to drag you down.

Follow your dream if that is what you enjoy doing.

What I enjoy doing is learning new things about everything and expanding my my knowledge and understanding of how things work in every area of life from politics to personal relationships and building and creating to demolition and reclaiming resources and materials.

I have been scraping for the last 15 years and consider myself an expert at it. I have taken apart so many things and usually if I come across something that doesn't work, I scrap it. But Marshall's and the Sunn 200s and the Traynor 2YBA and the Peavey classic 30, I just can't do it, which is why I'm here

I could be considered a dumpster diver because that is where I get most of my scrap, in other's garbage. I'm not ashamed of it. It has afforded me trying out and using and reviewing so many different things I never could have possibly afforded. The amount of tools I have is obscene and my music and audio gear is notable. I have about6 pairs of decent headphone's, a bunch of low to mid grade mics and I good one, a bunch of amp's, both bass and guitar, a couple sound systems ( pro audio) and yes, hoarding was an issue at one point, something I still struggle with and find it difficult to get rid of something that still works. I love reanimating things and restoring things to a functioning state and refinishing wood things, I have 4 turntales, Technics, Gemini, a USB type and another. So many designer watches and test equipment. At one point I had about 6 variac's, a scope, moisture detector for wood, thermal meters, both digital and analogue multi meters, ac and refridgerant recovery tools. Every appliance you could think of from milk shake makers to deep fryers, blenders and mixers. I'm actually writting a book on the subject called "Diving for dollars."

Last edited:
I am, I've been busy deconstructing a backhoe, like a caterpillar C-7, if you kn ow what that is. Metals are reaching all time high prices, so the ranch manager wants to take advantage, personally, I've made $1,000 since Monday. And Yes, I'm trying to figure out how to do the no loads test on the transformer. The videos on youtube are hard to understand, the accents. You have a cut to the chase method you want to share? Remember, all I got is a DBT and multimeter. No variac yet.

ok there's three leads to the transformer secondary two are yellow the third is black with a yellow stripe (flag or make a note of their locations on the PCB and remove them)
with no power applied and your ohm meter set for low ohm scale take a reading across the two yellows the exact value isn't important at this point it's whether or not there's continuity in the secondary winding. as a second test check each of the yellows with respect to the black stripped lead your ohms reading on each should be half the value in ohms compared to the full winding i,e, across the two yellows. this form of test can also be used to see if the primary winding is ok (it will read higher and don't forget the power switch state.)
once you get through that we'll go through a power test...

good to hear your making a few bucks...can't say i share your good fortune as of late...

Even a $1,000 doesn't go very far these days. A TRIP TO SAFEWAY COST 200-300$ and gas is $4.39 a gal here. With the prices increasing, I can't help thinking it's the value of the dollar is decreasing.
I do have a continuity setting on my meter. I'll get back to you on the results hopefully in the AM. I think I'll have some time tonight. My plate is pretty full with a horse, 3 ponies, 9 ducks (one is sick right now with bumble foot), 6 dogs ( we foster for adoption ) and one is cursed and can't stand or walk so he is time consuming.

ok..the transformer results. Black wire-black lead on tester, red lead on yellow wire #1, ohm meter set to 200=1.1 it then drops and stabilizes at .9. Same thing happens when I hook the red lead from tester to yellow wire #2. When I put the leads on both yellow wires only= 1.1 after about 10 seconds it dropped to 1.0 and stayed there. Judging from your instructions, this isn't good, right?
Opps, I over looked something. You mention the power switch state. It is installed, but not wired in and I disconnected the brown and blue wires that I had wire nutted together as to ready them for connection to the switch, so I'll just do another reading with those connected as the on position reading. BRB Wait. let me clarify something. Now what difference will it make in regards to the power switch if it is not plugged into the wall? on or off position with no power would have the same results, wouldn't it? So am I supposed to plug it into the wall and then take a reading?

Last edited: