LuDEF

@lhquam, ZM, XRK .. and other attending gurus:

Now: I hope I do not get too far off topic: but now that you guys are brainstorming on using triode-like behaving LU lego with possibly different FEs or maybe driving a bigger output stage etc:

I have little (next to none) circuit knowledge but there is this circuit which got me intrigued when indra1 floated a sim of it a while back. It uses all Toshiba transistors (1530/201, 2013/313) which I have and would like to put to some use. Now he simmed it with a 2SK79 but he also mentioned a tube (6DJ8) which could be substituted (this would be my last resort but preference is for a vfet-like part or alike pretending SS lego):

Could you guys look at that circuit and provide some comments on how doable some iteration of this might be?? maybe with a LU lego? if not too much to ask.

Thanks a lot!
here is the link to the original post:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/314822-greedy-boy-defisit-papas-koans-24.html#post5309442
Indra_DEFiSIT_post238_2SK79 or 6DJ8tube_CFP TMos M2 VST.gif

Last edited:
I will be happy to only do matching and curve tracing for those that wish to have that performed. That will involve some shipping of parts around which is trivial as these parts are small. I have 150 pcs and they take up very little space.

PM sent- let's start working out the details of the group buy. I'll try to connect with Papa in the next day or so and get specifics from him.

Once I have info from both of you, I'll set up a Group Buy posting and start a list of interested parties for Lu1014.

pcb renders, just for fun

I didn't realize the small size of the TO251 JFET package until carefully studying the LU1014D datasheet and finding the posts about FirstWatt F3 clone builders using copper heat spreaders: JFET's ready for abuse and Mounting LU1014D.

ZM: Some questions about the PCB artwork shown in post #2 and #6:

• Doesn't the PCB fab facility charge extra for the large number of through-holes, and aren't they a bit of overkill?
  • Is the hole cutout for the JFET done at the PCB fab house or by you?
  • What is the rectangular material between the JFET and the big washer?
  • How do you electrically insulate the JFET metal tab from the aluminum heatsink?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I didn't realize the small size of the TO251 JFET package until carefully studying the LU1014D datasheet and finding the posts about FirstWatt F3 clone builders using copper heat spreaders: JFET's ready for abuse and Mounting LU1014D.

ZM: Some questions about the PCB artwork shown in post #2 and #6:

• Doesn't the PCB fab facility charge extra for the large number of through-holes, and aren't they a bit of overkill?
  • Is the hole cutout for the JFET done at the PCB fab house or by you?
  • What is the rectangular material between the JFET and the big washer?
  • How do you electrically insulate the JFET metal tab from the aluminum heatsink?

-JLCPCB doesn't; no, nothing is overkill if it brings me smile
-fab (second/final batch of pcbs is having slightly bigger/maximised cutout and minimal copper around nearest Via for screw
-just piece of bare pcb material , "frame" leftovers I have from before; not exactly needed - there is some clearance between big washer and pcb, but I felt safer this way;even piece of cloth isolating tape on pcb (under the washer area) will do the job
-on T-Bed - used mica+goop; will advise Keratherm; heck , even will send Keratherm cut for LU in kits

Last edited:
What is the rectangular material between the JFET and the big washer?:
-just piece of bare pcb material , "frame" leftovers I have from before; not exactly needed - there is some clearance between big washer and pcb, but I felt safer this way;even piece of cloth isolating tape on pcb (under the washer area) will do the job.
Why is electrically insulating material needed? Wouldn't aluminum or copper help?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Why is electrically insulating material needed? Wouldn't aluminum or copper help?

- see pics - LU is just slightly thicker than pcb itself; without distancer put directly on LU, metal washer would be too close to pcb track and I don't trust in isolation lacquer to withstand too much abuse

936023d1616793291-ludef-img_20210326_155803-jpg

936024d1616793291-ludef-img_20210326_155840-jpg

936027d1616793291-ludef-img_20210326_160612-jpg

- logically, but there is just 1A5 x 2V4 dissipation ; see F3 pics floating around - Pa did it good enough, and didn't loose sleep after

so - Keratherm, just because we can

Last edited:
ZM:

OK, I think I now understand the problem. Tell me if I am wrong:

The JFET for the right channel is mounted face-up relative to the bottom-side of the PCB, and the JFET for the right channel is mounted face-up relative to the top-side of the PCB. The area of possible short between the washer and a PCB trace is on the bottom-side.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
exactly

if you look more at renders in post #2, you'll see that in one channel LU is on same side of L bracket as Mosfets ( and yes- due to LU , this pcb can be mounted only if using L bracket), while on the other channel pcb , LU is mounted underside of L bracket , contrary to mosfets (same mounting on both channels)

also visible in post #6 and #8

I wasn't exactly inventive that much, had some influence of original FW solution there, even if Pa arranged LU underside on both channels

Last edited: