Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

I found the genelater of tek AM700 have DAC+bandpass filter. The service manual with schematic are available. Check it!

" Residual THD+N with the bandpass filter in place. These
specifications are baseline for sine waves generated in
the low-distortion mode.
Amplitudes less than –16 dBu are noise limited (22 kHz BW).
Load resistance ≥ 600  Over 22 kHz BW Over 80 kHz BW
100 Hz to 749 Hz
Amplitudes ≥+4 dBu to ≤+26 dBu
Typ. ≤0.001%
(–100 dB) "

" Residual THD+N with the bandpass filter in place. These
specifications are baseline for sine waves generated in
the low-distortion mode.
Amplitudes less than –16 dBu are noise limited (22 kHz BW).
Load resistance ≥ 600  Over 22 kHz BW Over 80 kHz BW
100 Hz to 749 Hz
Amplitudes ≥+4 dBu to ≤+26 dBu
Typ. ≤0.001%
(–100 dB) "
Well, thd level is not impressive, if considered w/o freq. spec.:
Sine Wave Frequency Range
High Resolution Mode 10 Hz to 20 kHz
High Bandwidth Mode 11.719 Hz to 79992.188 kHz
Sine Wave Frequency Resolution
High Resolution Mode 0.1 Hz
High Bandwidth Mode 11.719 Hz

Should be a way to auto-zero-null-subtract and not have to manually tune for a minimum.

??

THx-RNMarsh

That sounds like a good idea, and I would think quite do-able, but I never gave it any thought at the time. The auto null would probably work something like that in a THD analyzer. Just thinking off the top of my head, those circuits often want to have a quadrature version of the test signal available. That might require some more thought :).

Cheers,
Bob

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
That sounds like a good idea, and I would think quite do-able, but I never gave it any thought at the time. The auto null would probably work something like that in a THD analyzer. Just thinking off the top of my head, those circuits often want to have a quadrature version of the test signal available. That might require some more thought :).

Cheers,
Bob

:) :cool:

Hope you/others can help on this. It would take a good idea and make it into a really nice polished project.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
this might also help with generating some ideas....

null detector circuit - Google Search

-Richard

from HP 339A auto-null

View attachment auto-null.pdf

auto-null.jpg

-RNM

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Unfortunately the only relevant reference is the auto-null for the HP. This problem is similar but not the same. The other references are not that helpful.

Because this deals with both phase and amplitude you do need a sine/cosine decoder to even know which parameter to adjust. You could lift the circuit from the HP 339A or even the 333/334. Probably would need some manual range controls. Or a raspberry PI and some software.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Unfortunately the only relevant reference is the auto-null for the HP. This problem is similar but not the same. The other references are not that helpful.

Because this deals with both phase and amplitude you do need a sine/cosine decoder to even know which parameter to adjust. You could lift the circuit from the HP 339A or even the 333/334. Probably would need some manual range controls. Or a raspberry PI and some software.

Many of the circuits are just there for spurring new ideas.

The HP339A is an exact app. which could be lifted and mod values to fit the Cordell values. The LDR would be a challenge to find??

The 339A can be copied as well.... with simple changes... the internal osc can be easily improved and the analyzer part as welll without changing circuitry/topology. Or just use the analyzer portion only;

stock and mod;

stock and mod analyzer + osc.JPG HP339A osc mod.JPG

Not SOTA but easy to do for THD+N meter (-120dbv.... better with a Victor osc)

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Damir,

I changed the amp to mono.... lowered the rail voltage and increased the idle current..... +/-35vdc @ 5A total for 24 devices.

Tests for max power output level is, for example (THD+N)/ 2 Ohm ---

91063257_665816874168383_6770085454659190784_n.jpg

Had to fix a HF osc..... RC at each FET.....

Over-all improved SOA.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited: